UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Burton Richardson Training with the Bubba Dummy

4/22/11 8:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bubbamaker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forum member and BJJ Black Belt Burton Richardson has created a 2 DVD set (almost 2 hours) entitled "Training With The Bubba Dummy". I watched it over the last 2 days, and it's a dream come true. Many people asked me to do a Bubba training video over the years, but I thought it should be done by a black belt (because it's instructional). Now, it's actually happened.

For those who don't know Burton, he's one of the most well-rounded martial artists I've ever come across. He's also an author, an instructor and a trainer (Chris Leben and others). Here are his credentials:

Full Instructor in Jun Fan JKD under Tuhon Dan Inosanto
Full Instructor in Filipino Martial Arts under Tuhon Dan Inosanto
Full Instructor in the JKD Grappling Association under Sifu Larry Hartsell
Instructor in Thai Boxing under Master Chai Sirisute
Guro in Penjak Silat under Pendekar Paul De Thouars
Instructor in Kali Ilustrisimo under GrandMaster Ilustrisimo
Black Belt in BJJ (brazilian Jiu Jitsu) under Egan Inoue

Believe it or not, I learned a lot about training with Bubba while watching the DVDs. For example, he has Bubba sitting with his legs out in front and spread for guard work. That makes him sturdy and balanced. I honestly never thought of doing that. I also learned a lot of Jiu-Jitsu. Burton's a great instructor.

I & I Sports builds all of the Bubbas now, and they will be selling the DVD set for about $30. I'll post a link.

Thanks Burton. You did a GREAT job with these.
4/22/11 8:45 AM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 04/22/11 8:45 AM
link fail. I'll try again.
4/22/11 8:47 AM
Bubbamaker

www.iisports.com/product.asp 
4/22/11 8:56 AM
Sportmaster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We think the Bubba Dummy is our most important training aid in the developement of new fighting techniques.

W.H. - Pancrase MMA Academy
4/22/11 9:06 AM
Bubbamaker

That's awesome. Thanks for posting.
4/22/11 1:54 PM
Bubbamaker

ttt
4/22/11 7:26 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
Thanks Brett. I endorse it because I believe in it. It helped me get to black belt level much faster.

By the way, I do not get any compensation from any sales of Bubba. It is just a great tool.
4/22/11 7:27 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Brett. I endorse it because I believe in it. It helped me get to black belt level much faster.

By the way, I do not get any compensation from any sales of Bubba. It is just a great tool.
4/22/11 10:19 PM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 04/22/11 10:20 PM
Thank you, Burton. Making those DVDs obviously took a LOT of time and effort.
4/22/11 10:29 PM
Kneeblock
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Bubba truly the Muk Yan Jong of bjj?
4/23/11 2:48 AM
Joe Rogan
1142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome. I have a bubba dummy and I love it. I would love to check this dvd out.
4/23/11 3:32 AM
K-Dub-"T"

Any promo clips?
4/23/11 6:03 AM
thebasher

Joe Rogan - That's awesome. I have a bubba dummy and I love it. I would love to check this dvd out.

kind of a cold way to talk about Bravo dude
4/23/11 7:58 AM
Bubbamaker

Very cool to hear from you, Joe. Thanks for posting.

I'll ask Burton about promo clips. Someone mentioned that on the Atama BJJ forum, too.
4/23/11 3:00 PM
Burton

I sum it up like this: A striker needs a heavy bag. A grappler needs a Bubba Dummy.

Kneeblock, yes, but much more realistic and versatile. And, a tremendous workout!

Joe, I will arrange to get a set to you. Drop me a line at burton@jkdunlimited.com to let me know where to have them send it.
4/24/11 9:31 AM
Bubbamaker

ttt
4/24/11 10:16 AM
fight4real
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bubbamaker -

For those who don't know Burton, he's one of the most well-rounded martial artists I've ever come across. He's also an author, an instructor and a trainer (Chris Leben and others). Here are his credentials:

I & I Sports builds all of the Bubbas now, and they will be selling the DVD set for about $30. I'll post a link.

Thanks Burton. You did a GREAT job with these.

I always get a kick out of seeing well known figures in the martial arts community being introduced for credibility. Seriously, who hasn't heard of Burton Richardson? You know what I mean? Then I remind myself that everyday a new practictioner joins us who truly hasn't heard of the big name guys and I hold my tongue. :)

As for the product, I'm interested in the DVD but I'm even more interested in finding out if the dummies are sold somewhere in Brazil. I have had trouble finding several training items here including dummies, weight vests and some S&C gear. When I do find them they are at exorbitant prices, but usually, they aren't even available. What do you say Bubbamaker?

And hello Mr. Burton Richardson! Hope you and the fam are doing well.
4/24/11 10:35 AM
Kirik
1775 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Awesome news!!!
4/24/11 10:55 AM
Bubbamaker

Thanks Kirik!

fight4real - You'll notice I started that out with "For those who don't know Burton". I always assume these threads will be read by some people who don't know who the big names are. I still run across a lot of people who don't know who Royce Gracie is.

I & I Sports builds all of the Bubbas now under a licensing agreement, and they ship them all over the world. They ship them to Brazil, too.
4/24/11 12:29 PM
dirtymfmoney

TTT Phone Post
4/25/11 7:57 AM
Bubbamaker

One more ttt. Thanks everyone for checking this out.
4/26/11 3:39 AM
Burton

Chris Wilson! (fight4real)
The family is doing great- baby is walking, saying a few words. Tons of fun. It was great working with you in Hawaii. I am still using that half-guard entanglement sweep with great success.
Hope to see you soon.
5/10/11 11:21 AM
TSMontana
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/10/11 12:04 PM
ACalandrelli
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/10/11 12:08 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Burton and the Bubba Dummy!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.