UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rolles Gracie wants to fight his way back to UFC

4/22/11 9:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Third degree black belt in BJJ Rolles Gracie has royal lineage in the art. He is the eldest son of the legendary Rolls Gracie, and grandson of founder Carlos Gracie. In 2007 he took Silver at ADCC, and then entered MMA, where he earned three first round wins, all by submission. Then he stepped up to the UFC.

When visa issues forced planned opponent Mostapha Al Turk off the card, Joey Beltran stepped in, and in the second round stopped the man many believe represents the Gracie family's best chance to once again find glory in the Octagon. Coach Renzo Gracie spoke about the loss post fight:

"It was embarrassing. I can tell you he wasn't in that bad of shape. Fact is the nerves drained him of his energy. His stand up and ground work looked bad, nothing at all like he was doing in training leading up to the fight, and it was if he couldn't hear what I was telling him. I think the pressure he put on himself overwhelmed him. He'll learn and be back." 

Rolles is back, fightiing this weekend against Braden Bice, in New Jersey's Urban Conflict Championship. Below he discusses past, present, and future.

“For my other three fights, my other three wins, I probably didn’t learn anything,” Gracie told MMAWeekly.com. “The number one thing I know, it’s hard to be 100-percent on the day of the fight. You always come with minor injuries, but I wouldn’t fight again with a big injury like I had. And also maybe I underestimated my opponent. I thought I was going to be able to beat him even with the injury on my foot. At the time I didn’t know it was broken, I only found out it was broken after the fight, I just thought it was a bad sprain.”

“In the beginning, maybe if I was playing around a little bit using the clock more on my favor. Maybe I wouldn’t go in there and try to get a submission in the first round in the early stages of the fight.”

“I signed with Shine. They kept saying they were going to have shows, they’re going to have shows, nothing was happening. I was waiting, waiting, waiting, then the CEO quit and the matchmaker quit, and if I was still waiting for them, I wouldn’t be fighting this weekend."

“I want to fight as many times as I can. After this fight, I want to see if I can get another fight before July because I’m going to have another baby in July, so the month of July and maybe early August it’s going to be hard for me to fight.”

“I just want to fight. I do this because I love it, I think I was born to do this, and I just think it will be a consequence.

“If I’m doing good, it’s just a matter of time for my manager to receive another phone call from them.”

Read entire article...

4/22/11 9:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Skellington
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he should get another chance in a dark match at UFC Rio
4/22/11 9:31 AM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gnarls Gnarlington - His fight vs. Beltran was horrible. Hopefully he's improved dramatically.

agreed, he looked terrible in that fight, better be improved big time
4/22/11 9:35 AM
TheGARV
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
 I'm ring announcing him tonight.  Pumped!

4/22/11 9:36 AM
Coolface_Awesomeson

Jack Skellington -  he should get another chance in a dark match at UFC Rio

Too soon.
Did you *see* the Beltran "fight"?
4/22/11 9:36 AM
Kostakio
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he will show his true potential in the future. Phone Post
4/22/11 10:35 AM
flawlessvictory
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think bice who he is Fighting, posts on here as "Saint Bice" if I'm not mistaken. Phone Post
4/22/11 11:15 AM
Mark Hunter
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you've seen any of his fights before Beltran, you know he's a shitload better than that performance. Hopefully he makes the adjustments and gets back in the UFC.
4/22/11 11:38 AM
BradGluckman
607 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground News - 

Rolles Gracie wants to fight his way back to UFC

[mmaweekly.com]

When visa issues forced planned opponent Mostapha Al Turk off the card, Joey Beltran stepped in, and in the second round stopped the man many believe represented the Gracie family's best chance to once again find glory in the UFC.

***Incorrect ^ that would be Roger Gracie**********

4/22/11 12:40 PM
SudburyBJJ

The Beltran fight was not an accurate depiction of his fighting ability. Rolles can fight, his ground game is awesome. I`m looking forward to the comeback!
4/22/11 1:30 PM
Winston Wolf

how is he Carlos Gracies grandson when he is Helios ? maybe im wrong but i thought Rolls Srs dad was Helio
4/22/11 2:01 PM
pharochuck
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf - how is he Carlos Gracies grandson when he is Helios ? maybe im wrong but i thought Rolls Srs dad was Helio
helio raised his dad, but he was not helio's son.

4/22/11 2:09 PM
Winston Wolf

pharochuck - 
Winston Wolf - how is he Carlos Gracies grandson when he is Helios ? maybe im wrong but i thought Rolls Srs dad was Helio
helio raised his dad, but he was not helio's son.

thanks i didnt know that
4/22/11 2:31 PM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting thread. Randomly, i just watched Choke today and was doing some reading on Gracies and read where Renzo called Rolles Jr performance embaressment.

Anyway, he was just about as bad as you can be in his debut, he needs more wins to show he is ready. What he showed wouldn't cut it even at Shine fights, man that was bad.
4/22/11 2:39 PM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He better start fighting the treadmill first
4/22/11 2:55 PM
FatBuddha
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rolls was the result of an affair Carlos Sr had so he gave the son to his brother Helio to raise since Carlos's wife didn't want the baby in the house
4/22/11 2:56 PM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatBuddha - Rolls was the result of an affair Carlos Sr had so he gave the son to his brother Helio to raise since Carlos's wife didn't want the baby in the house

She shouldnt have wanted Carlos in the house either.
4/22/11 6:35 PM
MattBenwa
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge - 
FatBuddha - Rolls was the result of an affair Carlos Sr had so he gave the son to his brother Helio to raise since Carlos's wife didn't want the baby in the house

She shouldnt have wanted Carlos in the house either.

These things happen in Brasil.
4/22/11 7:28 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/22/11 7:28 PM
Hopefully i get the chance to fight Rolles at some point. Its a shame that the SHINE fight didnt happen. I was pretty excited to compete with a Gracie. Royce is pretty much the reason i got serious about MMA. Rolles seems like a good guy and obviously he has skills, just had a rough go in his UFC debut. Im sure he took the experience and improved.
4/22/11 8:57 PM
Kostakio
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for results Phone Post
4/23/11 8:37 AM
Kostakio

Awesome. Good for him. Phone Post
4/23/11 11:59 AM
HELWIG

Looked to me like it was a modified "Von Flue" off a gullotine that he turned into an arm triangle from mount.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.