UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Question for Joe Maffei...

4/24/11 8:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was looking at your website,and it mentions stick and knife (Kali). I come from a PFS background too,but my weapons work no longer uses the patterns (Hubbud,sumbrada,sinawali,etc) of Kali. What does your "melee" weapons work entail? And why? Thanks in advance.
4/25/11 9:20 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/25/11 9:21 AM
Hey Bigsifu that's a good question? My weapons work entails two things, my personal interests, and then what I teach. Why I approach it in this way is because what I like or want maybe different then what you might like or want.

First, I teach what the client asked for. If he's been watching old Vu tapes and wants to learn the hubud, or stuff with patterns with double sticks, that's what we do. If another client has been watching Dog brother tapes and wants to learn to fight with a single/baton, that's what we do.

Everyone has different needs and wants and I try to accommodate that. The first guy may have a bad back and all he wants is to add to what he saw Vu doing, feel good about himself, have some fun and get a little movement. The second guy might be like you, he has done many patterns and is now interested in what to do outside of the pattern drills, so different strokes for different folks.

Personally I'm a history buff so my personal interests can range from a primitive catapult to a modern Marine sniper rifle. I just love the stuff, I'm the guy you find in museums asking about old revolutionary war muskets, then goes home to watch Modern Marvels.... LOL
But that's just my interest and my fun.

Bigsifu your question is good but a little broad based and I don't want to put words in your mouth, are you looking for more specific details on what you might like?
Give me the set-up.
4/25/11 9:59 AM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ask because as far as Kali goes,I don't "get it". I started in JKD around 2000,my instructor was a Vu seminar student. He taught Hubbud,Sumbrada,Sinawali,et al,yet I was never able to make the jump from "patterns" to "fighting". I got some helmets,as well as soft sticks/knives,and sparred both with "live" and soft sticks. What happened didn't look anything like those patterns I'd been taught. My conclusion,was that the patterns had very little to do with actual combat. I look at the Dog Brothers,and wonder if I'm doing it wrong? is there some hidden thing in these drills I'm missing? So I'm curious as to why people would use them.
4/26/11 9:16 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People try to use them in sparring because they don't know any better, I understand the dilemma and your conclusion. I think many have found the exact same thing. So here is how I approach it. The movements that you learn ( I don't even want to call them techniques) in the pattern drills can be used as only a reference so I can say "it's like an outside deflection, rather then say, move like this" This is one of the ways I use the concepts of Kali for sparring. How I approach sparring itself is exactly how I approach MMA.

For example: in MMA/boxing you learn the jab and how to cover up, then at a reasonable pace you jab at one another working your offense and defense together, working distance and timing. In single stick you learn to thrust and defend the thrust, then at a reasonable pace you thrust at one another working your offense and defense together, working distance and timing. As with MMA you build on that, and so to with stick sparring eventually increasing the speed and power while decreasing the co-operation to the point of straight fighting and broken rhythm.

IMHO Most folks were never taught how to spar, (no direction) so they take it upon themselves to just get padded sticks, gear-up and start pounding on each other. And there is nothing wrong with that to start, you need to know that energy, that truth, but without criticism and direction the sparring tends to become stagnant and look the same.The jump from patterns to live sparring becomes incomplete and unfortunately this is how most people end up.
4/27/11 9:49 AM
Joe Maffei

Edited: 04/27/11 9:50 AM
Bigsifu I'm no different then anyone else, and I asked the same questions, your not alone brother. But you have an advantage, from what I have read in your posts you already know how to train empty hands, just transfer that thinking/method to weapons.

When folks first roll in jits it resembles jit's but it's really not jits yet.. After you get coached/trained you learn that you must control position in the fight. You learn to fight for position. There is a goal , a plan, You fight for top, you pass guard, control side, mount. There "is" some thing you are trying to do. You know when you are winning and losing according to the plan.

Now with sticks,You can take this or leave it, but try this. Get your padded sticks and head gear.

Here are the directions. The goal is to control center line and distance using the thrust (jab). You can thrust at any target in that center line, from the groin to the forehead. Your opponent can do the same. To thrust you can do two things.

1. Straight thrust. Here you have a clean direct shoot to get in and score.
2, Tap(parry) and thrust. Here the opponent has the clean and direct shoot to score
( your opponent is controlling center line.) you are losing. You must tap his stick out of C-line regaining position then thrust. You are winning again. Now there is a plan and you know when the plan is working or not and you know what you are fighting for. Same as jits.

Of course like jits the more you learn the more the plan expands. This is how I coach so give it a try if you want. And let me know the results. also there are little tweeks, and tips when things don't work out, like everything else.
5/17/11 11:55 PM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

l8r

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.