Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK. My 1st try at actually embedding...

4/26/11 6:28 PM
Calbert

I believe using progressive resistance in isolated drilling and sparring to be the best use of your time regarding developing a specific skill set. However, I do think that if you are interested in real life self-defense, drills like these are important. Scenarios that teach you tactics against mass attack, fighting on uneven terrain, fighting while dealing with the adrenaline induced fatigue, etc. are all important. I don't think, however, that you should do too much of this without focusing on developing the baseline skill set of your art. Otherwise your training ends up being just a bunch of role playing exercises.

I think the important thing to remember about this type of training is that it's teaching mindset and tactics. It's important because I believe many people think they are just going to automatically fight the way the situation dictates, which I don't think is true if you haven't been training for it. Once again though, I do think the vast majority of your training should be isolated drilling and sparring because that is what teaches you the overall delivery system. The tactics you use are situation dependent and not as much time needs to be devoted to that.

C.J.
4/28/11 9:58 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Cal. BUT, IMHO the mind set and tactics presented here was poor. The vid did not give us anything that would help us improve. It was only focused on how sparring doesn't resemble real world fights. OK what should we do then????
That wasn't answered, only cheesy simulation drills.

IMHO the scenario training itself was to say the least, lack Luster. The non-emphasis to evasion and escape should be the number rule.

In almost ever case(actual footage shown) here, it was stupidity that got these guys wacked, not the training of sparring.

To advocate skipping the basic idea that there is a way to defend yourself, in lieu of stress induced scenarios is irresponsible to public safety. And promoting weapons with THIS thinking can only lead to trouble.

I'm sorry if some disagree but this is how I see it.
Just a couple of kids messing around with the RBSD concept.

Bigsifu thanks for bringing this to the forum. It can be very educational and great subject matter....:-)
4/28/11 7:09 PM
BigSifu

I liked it because it reminded me that I've fallen into a "kickboxing rut". You're right though,it had no real instruction. When I went to Chicago to train I was unprepaired for the abusive language used in training/mock assaults. The instructor had a camera in one of the helmets we used for RAT training. It made for some interesting videos...
4/28/11 7:12 PM
BigSifu

This is where I trained in Chicago
4/28/11 7:18 PM
BigSifu

BTW,I tore my left achilles tendon while training there (3 day IPT). I knew I wouldn't get another chance like this,so I plowed on though and didn't quit. It needed surgical re-attachment,I was off the mat for 6 monthes!
4/29/11 5:58 PM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, I can't believe I have to break it down once again. :) If you are serious about RBSD do the following. Everybody grab their girlfriend and a case of beer. (whiskey will do fine) Head down to the gym. Drink beer. Hit on someone else's girl. After the fights start somebody call the cops. Do this about once a month or so. That's street baby!
5/1/11 6:28 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But Cain, how can I do this once a month when really top-notch RBSD training injures you so that you have to sit out for 6 months after a training session?
5/1/11 9:32 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Putting all fun aside, that last vid was more like it. However their still were issues of not being real. This is not a dig because for the most part this vid was ok and I liked it.. But without addressing the RB as a whole there is still big tactical problems.
5/2/11 11:02 PM
HEMAN
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/11 11:02 PM
Nice clip...it seems to be those guys getting KO didn't spar a day in their life. Hence they ended up clinch or sucker punch. Perhaps if they had ANY training and sparring they'll be able to avoid getting KO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.