UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> What antivirus does your company use?

4/27/11 11:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ghost of Retard
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm about to upgrade our network and would like to look at new antivirus.
4/27/11 4:10 PM
Anarkis
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SEP11
4/27/11 5:38 PM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We use AVG, a version of it is included in the monitoring agent software we install on client computers.

However, I prefer to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's actually a great product imo.
4/27/11 7:47 PM
Ho Kogan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've managed a bunch of different AV products in a 200+ user network.

SEP11 is terrible and a resource hog. We use AVG now and it's better on resources but the detection rates are poor.

We're moving to Kaspersky as licensing expires.

If you want to make a decision based on data, try the reports at av-comparatives.org.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not legal to use in a corporate environment, it's for personal use only.
4/28/11 9:07 AM
gsx_r

mcaffe.

It's worth the licensing costs.
4/28/11 11:42 AM
crunk404
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

symantec.

it's a pile of shit.
4/28/11 5:20 PM
Ghost of Retard
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gsx_r - mcaffe.

It's worth the licensing costs.

This is what i've always used before .

I agree, and this is what i was going to suggest.
4/28/11 5:48 PM
Ho Kogan

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

Kaspersky is where it's at
4/30/11 10:50 PM
Anarkis
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ho Kogan - I've managed a bunch of different AV products in a 200+ user network.

SEP11 is terrible and a resource hog. We use AVG now and it's better on resources but the detection rates are poor.

We're moving to Kaspersky as licensing expires.

If you want to make a decision based on data, try the reports at av-comparatives.org.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not legal to use in a corporate environment, it's for personal use only.

SEP11 is not a resource hog. Perhaps you have it configured wrong. AVG and Kaspersky are pieces of shit
5/9/11 10:57 AM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viper from sunbelt software it is a good product
5/22/11 2:46 PM
kao

SEP11 isn't a resource hog i agree, but the detection rate sucks! can't even block simple XP antivirus 2011.
5/22/11 3:14 PM
Ho Kogan

Maybe SEP11 is better now but I did a bunch of deployments between the original release and MR4 and it was terrible. I even have emails from one of the devs that worked on it admitting to me how bad it was on system resources. Temp files >1gb in users' temp folders, >20gb disk space requirement for a network of less than 15 users, >1GB memory usage on clients, content update folder on server creating multiple gigabytes of files daily, it broke PEAP and EAP-TLS on XP workstations, etc...

SEP11 is on maintenance release 6 right now and I abandoned it after MR4 and it was still having massive problems.
5/23/11 5:41 PM
Anarkis

We never have any problems with SEP11 in our environment. Then again, we also have a 3 year refresh cycle. Kapersky looks like it actually got better. I heard Comodo has a good detection rate and its free.
5/23/11 5:43 PM
Ho Kogan

Anarkis - We never have any problems with SEP11 in our environment. Then again, we also have a 3 year refresh cycle. Kapersky looks like it actually got better. I heard Comodo has a good detection rate and its free.

How many users do you manage in your SEP11 environment?
5/23/11 6:58 PM
Anarkis

Edited: 05/23/11 6:58 PM
Ho Kogan - 
Anarkis - We never have any problems with SEP11 in our environment. Then again, we also have a 3 year refresh cycle. Kapersky looks like it actually got better. I heard Comodo has a good detection rate and its free.

How many users do you manage in your SEP11 environment?

I personally manager about 60 users. Our customer base overall though is 75,000+. Another group handles SEP for those users but I get reports on problem in the general pop as part of my job. My previous location was in hundred of thousands though and never heard complaints about SEP11.
5/24/11 3:39 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G-data now, it's been nice. We've used AVG, Kaspersky, and Norton in the past. Norton was the only one we had serious issues with.
6/8/11 3:27 PM
NHBDaddy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sophos
6/14/11 4:21 PM
audit

Trend has worked great for me at all the companies I've set it up at. I've yet to have a single virus or malware infect a system since I've installed on our main network in the last 5 years. That's with over 200k computers attached to it and over 25% roaming laptops.
6/14/11 4:55 PM
audit

Not really, Trend has caught everything that has tried to infect our systems.
6/14/11 6:53 PM
_TERRILBE_

audit - Not really, Trend has caught everything that has tried to infect our systems.

On the systems or on workstations/user computers? To say over 200k user controlled computers over 5 years with out ANY viruses is a job well done.... But I would say it seems impossible too. lol

My company uses: ESET Smart Security 4.2.40.0 -- No +/- reviews because it's new to us.
6/14/11 8:10 PM
audit

It's not impossible if done correctly and I run my network and security tighter then a an ants ass. Everything from the servers on down to the workstations/laptops all on win7. I check the office scan console daily as well as get emails to what's happening. Everything gets deleted or quarantined. Phone Post
6/15/11 8:33 AM
Ho Kogan

audit - Trend has worked great for me at all the companies I've set it up at. I've yet to have a single virus or malware infect a system since I've installed on our main network in the last 5 years. That's with over 200k computers attached to it and over 25% roaming laptops.

Do you work on the largest TrendMicro deployment in the world?

"The largest deployment is 200,000 hosts."

http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&year=0&type=current&news_item=814
6/15/11 9:37 AM
audit

We have multiple offices around the globe and each office has it's own deployment of Office Scan for the clients that work out of that office. I have a few screens that shows me all the VPN users logged in, nagios stats from each office and the servers as well as the OfficeScan Admin panel. I don't know if that is the largest deployment since each office has their own license or not.
6/15/11 10:48 AM
Ghost of Retard

Audit thanks I've looked at TrendMicro before , but i may take another look now.

Is it good at catching spyware as well as faggot viruses?
6/15/11 11:26 AM
audit

It's very good at catching spyware. Look at the OfficeScan suite.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.