UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Mark Driscoll ?

4/27/11 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody like this guy ? He sounds like a blowhard who has found a niche in christianity to be a Manly Man. It never ceases to amaze me over the last twenty years the morphing of Christianity trying to be culturally relevant. Maybe he has helped some people , I dont know. I listened to alot of his stuff on Youtube and am not impressed.

I think Christianity is becoming more and more culturally irrelevant. I dont think thats necessarily the churches fault, just that society in the US just overpowered and eclipsed the need for christianity and those that hang on try to find incessant ways to make jesus cool. None of it really works. The Christianity that I believe Jesus spoke of really doesn't fit any of these peoples attempts at relevance.

I did find his teaching on assesing pastors and church planters pretty blunt and correct I guess. However, he seems pretty arrogant about it. He is like, ' hey this guy is basically a fag with funding, he just doesnt have the hair or the build to bring men into the fold. I wont train them'.  What he is saying is reality but who is he to judge who is 'called' or not ?

On a pesonal note he did a piece in Arlington that I found ridiculous.About being a good soldier. I found it offensive and I dont think Jesus would mix war dead with the kingdom of God. 

Basically I just discovered this guy and he is different but I just dont get it. I dont like most people but he was worth looking at. He seems like he would be a prick in real life. I would love to humble him in they gym. Its true that so many males in christianity seem like they are in the closet but what say you ?
4/28/11 10:21 AM
Hypnos
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's either loved or hated. For me, I think he's awesome at explaining scripture. For example...

Driscoll on Justification, Sanctification & Glorification: http://youtu.be/FYneOTk3Xwc

Driscoll on Righteousness: http://youtu.be/kUQ5Fdium5o
4/28/11 10:33 AM
Hypnos
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One more... My blue expired, so would someone mind posting the vids?

Driscoll on Regeneration: http://youtu.be/JCProXFQpZ8
4/28/11 12:16 PM
gord96
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/28/11 12:18 PM
gord96
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/28/11 12:23 PM
gord96

4/28/11 1:02 PM
Hypnos

Thanks Gord! Phone Post
4/28/11 7:24 PM
reverend john
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hypnos - He's either loved or hated. For me, I think he's awesome at explaining scripture. For example...

Driscoll on Justification, Sanctification & Glorification: http://youtu.be/FYneOTk3Xwc

Driscoll on Righteousness: http://youtu.be/kUQ5Fdium5o

I think he is a total prick and an expert om explaining Calvinist dogma using scripture to back his theories up. He is also a misogynist

I would murder him in the gym and yet I still believe in love and peace and all that hippy Jesus stuff

Rev
4/28/11 9:45 PM
PastorJosh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. He believes in hell. CRAZY concept right rev John? Look at him all crazy and using Scripture to teach people. You're pathetic, John. And the fact that you'd even say that you would murder him shows everyone here just how much of a fake you are. Congrats. You just exposed yourself. As usual. Phone Post
4/28/11 11:10 PM
Ridgeback
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PastorJosh -  Yeah. He believes in hell. CRAZY concept right rev John? Look at him all crazy and using Scripture to teach people. You're pathetic, John. And the fact that you'd even say that you would murder him shows everyone here just how much of a fake you are. Congrats. You just exposed yourself. As usual. Phone Post

John has never claimed he does not believe in hell. You don't understand Christian universalism so you are bearing false witness against people who believe in it.  Why don't you take some time to learn what people believe before berating them and accusing them of not being aware of scripture.  I guarantee you that the Rev is far more intimate with scripture than you are.  What you don't get is that not everybody uses the Bible as a hammer to hit other people over the head with it.   

The Rev said he would "murder" him with the connotation that he would beat him in the gym because Driscoll comes off as such a macho tough guy but isn't.  Since John is actually a black belt in bjj and has ring experience (including a great fight against Dan Severn) I think he is right about the outcome and he is certainly not a fake in any shape or form.  And I agree that Driscoll is the kind of guy who it would be enjoyable to squeeze on the mat to take him down a notch or two.

I fight with John all the time but I don't like this kind of disrespect from a noob who hasn't the foggiest idea of what kind of person he is dealing with.  

4/29/11 9:07 AM
reverend john
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perhaps you should go listen to my bible teachings on you tube Josh you might learn a few things first of which is all I teach is the bible. But unlike pastor mark I don't use it to lift myself above women and others

Rev
4/29/11 9:20 AM
gord96

4/29/11 10:04 AM
Hypnos

Rev - Im curious... Is it Driscolls doctrine that you dislike or is it his methods of delivery or mixture of both? John Piper (one of Driscolls mentors) admits Driscoll has gone overboard at times, but his doctrine is pretty much right on (my opinion). Just wondering why you hate him so much. I don't put him on a pedestal by any means, but watching his sermons online has been a great supplement for me. Phone Post
4/29/11 10:05 AM
Hypnos

Rev - Im curious... Is it Driscolls doctrine that you dislike or is it his methods of delivery or mixture of both? John Piper (one of Driscolls mentors) admits Driscoll has gone overboard at times, but his doctrine is pretty much right on (my opinion). Just wondering why you hate him so much. I don't put him on a pedestal by any means, but watching his sermons online has been a great supplement for me. Phone Post
4/29/11 11:04 AM
reverend john

I find Calvinism repugnant I hate the use of scripture to abuse and belittle women (piper actually said a wife should stay if being beaten atleast for a time so God might use her to convict her husband). And I also hate his tough guy persona. I mean if you wanna be a tough guy then I got
Pastor mark by a mile I wouldn't even break a sweat but that if anything makes me less not more of an example of Christ sacrificial love

Rev
4/29/11 1:04 PM
Grakman

PastorJosh -  Yeah. He believes in hell. CRAZY concept right rev John? Look at him all crazy and using Scripture to teach people. You're pathetic, John. And the fact that you'd even say that you would murder him shows everyone here just how much of a fake you are. Congrats. You just exposed yourself. As usual. Phone Post

You are over the top Josh. Is this how you would win people to Christ, calling them pathetic? I've been on the board three years and have watched atheists, Catholics, Oneness, Orthodox, anarchists, Baptists, Jews (and whatever Robery Wynn is) and even other Calvinists argue and debate one another over doctrine and theology and many other topics without the vitriolic name-calling and arrogance that you put on display. I bet you go to bed at night proud of how you are 'contending for the word' and 'defending God's honor' don't you?

By their fruits you shall know them. From what I see your fruit is bitter and full of malice.  And before you defend your actions by comparing what you're doing to the way Jesus spoke to the Pharisees -  here's a newsflash for you - you are not Jesus nor an Apostle. You need to get over yourself.
4/29/11 1:59 PM
inlikeflynn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - [(and whatever Robery Wynn is) 

I don't know why but this made me LOL. Probably because for the life of me, I can't figure it out either.
4/29/11 2:24 PM
Ridgeback
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Robery"  Ha!  I like that word!  And I too am stumped.   I can usually peg a tradition after a person uses a few standard elements of their particular tradition's dialect, but he defies all categories.
4/29/11 4:58 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at the Robert comment. ( not personally, he does not fit into any known schematic :) And 'PastorJosh' you are way out of line. You dont know the Rev or me or anyone here. You are a very confused man. Perhaps you are a bit like this Driscoll douchebag. When Ridge defends John, you know the shit has hit the fan. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
4/29/11 5:02 PM
gord96

i lol'ed at the Robert comment too.
4/29/11 5:05 PM
reverend john

Yeah thanks ridge

Rev
4/29/11 8:19 PM
BigSherm

Edited: 04/29/11 8:29 PM

I'm not going to sit by while you slander one of my best friends. Anybody that knows John, knows what he is about and what he has done for the kingdom, you I do not know, nor do I know what you have done to further the kingdom, what I have seen from you leads me to believe that you are a Pharisee. John is the reason you are even able to post on this sub forum. John has lived among and ministered to the "least of these" What I've seen from you so far does not reflect our Lord even a little.

John meant he would "murder" him in the gym, Driscoll fancies himself as a mma tough guy, john just offered to see how tough he really his. I think he's like most TV super church "pastors" he does not practice what he preaches, and is just all talk.  Actually I take that back Driscoll does practice what he preaches, and what he preaches is a false gospel. The way he berates and belittles his congregation makes me feel sorry for them, and if you follow or pattern yourself after him, I feel sorry for your congregation as well.
4/29/11 8:51 PM
reverend john

Thanks Sherm

Rev
4/29/11 10:07 PM
Ridgeback

I think Driscoll appeals to the fear of too much femininity in American churches and too much liberality in American preachers.  His solution, of course, is to revert to a very shallow conception of masculinity, which, by the way, appeared in the 19th century as "muscular Christianity."  And,as far as harsh theology goes, anybody can play that game.  He reminds me of a character in a novel called Lost in the Funhouse, in which the protagonist of the story is the head of the "Hitler Department."  He likes how being in charge of "Hitler Studies" at his university gives him an air of menace and makes people look up to him and fear him.  It all seems to be part of an act.
4/30/11 10:42 AM
zealot66

Ive got to go to the gym but I find this thread interesting and want to comment more. 

Pastor JOSH ??????? Where are you ?????

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.