UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Minimizing vehicle costs for off the grid living

4/27/11 8:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NonIntervention
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems to me the biggest obstacle to living off the land is the near necessity for a vehicle of some sort, preferably a truck of some sort. 

Cars are expensive as hell, and the newer ones require a wide variety of skills to repair and maintain.

If you are going to check out of society and stick it to the man you are still going to need a vehicle.

Thoughts on minimizing the weight of this shackle?
4/27/11 8:54 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A diesel vehicle outfitted for biodiesel would be the way to go, unless you want to go the amish horse & buggy route
4/27/11 9:15 PM
NonIntervention

Any particular ones that are easier to maintain/more reliable.

Other than a VW rabbit?
4/28/11 8:05 AM
simthefarmer

this could be interesting
4/28/11 9:09 AM
gsx_r

bio diesel is NOT cheap, unless you get free oil.

Get a pedal bike or just accept you'll have to buy some amount of fuel each year.
4/28/11 9:10 AM
jfmx345
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An 80's era carb'ed truck would be ideal in most circumstances. Very reliable and super easy to work on.

I think gas would actually be easier to get in a SHTF type scenario because 99% of cars on the road are gas, and they are easy enough pop a hole in the tank and get all the gas you need. No converting oils.

If you can find a nice late 80's F150, that would be perfect.
4/29/11 3:32 AM
chef kwon do
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you have plants or trees with lots of nuts or seeds this might be a cheap solution to producing oil:

Manually operated Piteba oil expeller press
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLJoAYX2WM

hand-cranking it might be tedious, but imagine hooking it up to a stationary bicycle drivechain.

at $138 on ebay, it might be able to pay for itself quickly.
4/29/11 8:41 AM
simthefarmer

this tree sounds great.
4/29/11 7:32 PM
jfmx345
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the kicker for Copaifera langsdorfii

"Copaiba is a climax species probably ranging from subtropical to tropical dry and wet forest, it is found in both riparian forest and montane semi-deciduous forest. The tree tolerates annual precipitation of 1000-4000mm, annual temperature of 20-27 deg C (with no frost), and soil pH of 4.5-7.5."

It's probably not adaptable here due to the oil content in the tree, otherwise I bet you'd see a few universities working on variants.

4/30/11 1:20 AM
NonIntervention

this is turning out better than I thought.

Looks like an E100 ethanol vehicle might be best for me, when they are more available.
5/9/11 10:27 PM
NonIntervention

or maybe not. It takes a whole acre of sugar beets to yield 550 gallons of ethanol.
5/10/11 1:53 AM
ClayK

I've posted this before, but you can sub jet fuel for diesel if you add 2 stroke oil.
5/13/11 9:05 PM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClayK - I've posted this before, but you can sub jet fuel for diesel if you add 2 stroke oil.

Also some diesel engines can run on straight veg oil, not used.
9/22/11 2:00 AM
Hessian
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jfmx345 - Here's the kicker for Copaifera langsdorfii

"Copaiba is a climax species probably ranging from subtropical to tropical dry and wet forest, it is found in both riparian forest and montane semi-deciduous forest. The tree tolerates annual precipitation of 1000-4000mm, annual temperature of 20-27 deg C (with no frost), and soil pH of 4.5-7.5."

It's probably not adaptable here due to the oil content in the tree, otherwise I bet you'd see a few universities working on variants.

sub ty for info

looking for another non-chipped truck (EMP) and will give these trees a try
3/30/12 10:27 AM
blushgirl412
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L
4/5/12 2:17 PM
TheHouse
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there anyone out there who buys bulk gasoline? Like is there anyone who keeps a 50 gallon drum of it on their property for emergency or rationing or anything?

I am hopefully going to be able to get a house in the next year and I was considering this as an emergency stock pile for emergencies or if the gas spikes.
4/19/12 2:55 PM
NonIntervention

Lots of rural people store shit loads of propane, and propane vehicles are pretty common.
4/25/12 1:32 PM
LeroyJ

You could get a truck body and outfit it with a wood gasifier. That way, you'd only need oil for internal lubrication & the thing would run on firewood.

That's for an extreme off the grid situation though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.