UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Anyone been to a charismatic church?

4/28/11 7:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gord96
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone here been to a charismatic church? My wife and I found a church close to us that looked good, but when I read further it says they are charismatic. Kinda made me not want to go. Are they the folks that jump around and roll on the floor? Is there speaking in tongues too?

Thanks for any info.
4/28/11 9:41 PM
PastorJosh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm what you would call "charismatic". I'm an Assemblies of God pastor and we do believe in the gift of tongues and interpretation. We do get excited about being in God's presence because of what he has truly done for us, and we do worship freely and expressively in many ways. I will admit that, like most things, it has been highly misrepresented and abused, even distorted. People do think of us as maniacs and "rolling on the floor" people, and, because of our "style" it is left open to a lot of abuse. I will say that you owe it to yourself to give It a shot. No shame in not connecting with it, but I would commend it to you and, the best part, is we stand on the truths of the Scriptures. If you want to Google "Assemblies of God 16 Fundamental Truths" you can see exactly what our tenants of faith say. Hope it helps :) let me know if I can clarify anything further. Phone Post
4/28/11 10:52 PM
gord96
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks Josh for the post. i will let you know if i have any more questions. :)
4/29/11 3:24 PM
BigSherm

yes I was a pastor of a Church Of God church, but I guess you already knew that :)
4/29/11 4:50 PM
reverend john
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I was a pastor in
Charismatic church they are all radically different go check it out. The specific definition of charismatic pnuematology is that the baptism of the holy spirit is an event in a believers life separate from salvation and is usually or sometimes evidenced by the speaking in of tongues. How this is worked out is often different

Rev
4/29/11 5:01 PM
gord96

i did Sherm :)

thanks John. appreciate the info. i think i will go check it out this weekend.

I contacted the pastor and asked him about it. i mentioned all i knew of charismatic worship is what i have seen on youtube with people going crazy and rolling in aisles. he laughed and said he hasn't seen aisle rolling since the 80's and that they are pretty conservative charismatics.
4/29/11 5:03 PM
reverend john
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope you experience God and his community

Rev
4/29/11 10:26 PM
Ridgeback

I attended an Assemblies of God church as a kid for a few years.  They were very nice people.  The worship was free lance during parts of the service, but pretty subdued for charismatics.  Then again, it was the midwest and a small town so those people are starting off pretty conservative in their expression anyway.  I've seen more individual expression in my own Orthodox parish than I saw there.  

The sealing of the Holy Spirit is considered to be a different event in Eastern Orthodoxy  as well (as a side note).  Chrismation, or the sealing of the Holy Spirit, normally comes immediately after baptism, but it is considered  a separate event.  Orthodox do laying on of hands too during this part.  This follows the pattern laid out by St. Peter to 1. repent.  2. be baptized and 3. receive the holy spirit.  
4/30/11 4:17 AM
PastorJosh

Ridgeback - Would you ever consider going back to an Assemblies of God church? Phone Post
4/30/11 5:34 AM
Ridgeback

PastorJosh -  Ridgeback - Would you ever consider going back to an Assemblies of God church? Phone Post

No.  
4/30/11 11:27 AM
gord96

Edited: 04/30/11 11:26 AM
another thing that 'bugs' me in a way is speaking in tongues. is it biblical at all? i mean in the way you see charismatics do it? from what I read in Acts, it seems clear that when the apostles spoke in tongues after receiving the Holy Spirit, it was other intelligible languages that they did not know, not just random noises.

thanks for any info.
4/30/11 4:54 PM
reverend john

Paul tells us there are various kinds of tongues some speak in an earthly language and some in an angelic language

Rev
4/30/11 5:01 PM
gord96

ah. i see. thanks Rev.
4/30/11 7:40 PM
BigSherm

Ridge goes to a Charismatic Orthodox Church when the chant they also have a guy beat boxing :)
5/1/11 1:32 AM
5pointer

i went to 1 a few times just for entertainment. i kid u not an 80 yr old lady was hanging from a ceiling fan... she was spinning in circles the whole service... i thought it was a dummy until the service ended and she let go..landed in a pew and walked off.

with that said i currently attend an AOG church, i like it.. much different then the baptist church i was raised in.. i enjoy the freedom and openess of worship. im looking to forward to visiting a few of the EO churches now tha Easter id over, i heard the services were brutally long during this the Easter period.
5/1/11 1:47 AM
Ridgeback

BigSherm -  Ridge goes to a Charismatic Orthodox Church when the chant they also have a guy beat boxing :)

As long as we keep it acapella. ;-)
5/1/11 1:52 AM
Ridgeback

5pointer - i went to 1 a few times just for entertainment. i kid u not an 80 yr old lady was hanging from a ceiling fan... she was spinning in circles the whole service... i thought it was a dummy until the service ended and she let go..landed in a pew and walked off.

with that said i currently attend an AOG church, i like it.. much different then the baptist church i was raised in.. i enjoy the freedom and openess of worship. im looking to forward to visiting a few of the EO churches now tha Easter id over, i heard the services were brutally long during this the Easter period.

Saturday night vespers are pretty good as a warm-up for the longer services.  They usually run 45 minutes to 1 hr 15 minutes.  If the particular parish doesn't have pews the standing takes some getting used to, but eventually you don't even notice it.  You can always take a seat around the edges if you need a break.  There is actually a fair amount of freedom in Orthodox worship.  I have seen people raising their hands to the heavens, people kneeling at certain parts of the service while most stand, and even people doing full on prostrations while most did not (we all do them sometimes).  Nobody cares what the others are doing so long as they aren't disruptive.  We keep our kids in services with us so it is always a pretty noisy affair anyway.  You get used to that as well.  Just think of the crossing and bowing as non-verbal "amens" and it will more or less make sense.
5/7/11 6:48 PM
gord96

Josh or Rev. Did either of you ever speak in tongues? If you don't mind me asking.
5/7/11 8:38 PM
reverend john

still do

rev
5/8/11 12:29 AM
gord96

thanks for sharing! :)
5/8/11 2:08 AM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the clearer explanations of glossolalia (tongues) and fundamental doctrines of many Pentecostal Charismatic fellowships: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pastor-randy-clark-membership/id119830271?i=84168070 Phone Post
5/8/11 4:27 PM
Robert Wynne
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pastor-randy-clark-membership/id119830271 

5/8/11 4:30 PM
Robert Wynne
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/11 4:32 PM
 I still do, but have never had the desire to roll on the floor, dancing and raising hands though is good!

5/9/11 12:45 AM
reverend john

As I have gotten older I find myself drawn to acts of worship and prayer that are more quiet, and in secret. I occasionally love the communal singing, but there is something intense about that still small voice speaking in silence

rev

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.