UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Who are the favorites for the Senior Nationals?

4/28/11 8:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wondering who are the favorites for the Senior Nationals? I may drive up tomorrow morning to watch if I can.
4/28/11 10:28 PM
Chocolate Shatner
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how Satoshi-kun is going to do....
4/29/11 1:53 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ishii isnt fighting. not a citizen.

some of the #1 players will not be competing if they are highly ranked in the world. top 2 go to the world championships as it is, so they dont need to show up at all.
4/29/11 2:15 AM
Chocolate Shatner
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - Ishii isnt fighting. not a citizen.

some of the #1 players will not be competing if they are highly ranked in the world. top 2 go to the world championships as it is, so they dont need to show up at all.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/so20110420j1.html

Wednesday, Apr. 20, 2011

Olympian Ishii plans judo comeback
Kyodo

Satoshi Ishii, the gold medalist in the men's over-100 kg class at the Beijing Olympics, is planning a return to judo from mixed martial arts, but in the United States, Kyodo News learned on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old Ishii turned to MMA in December 2008 after winning the gold that summer in Beijing and finding national fame. He is currently based in Los Angeles.

Ishii has registered and been cleared to compete in the over-100 kg and the 100 kg categories at the April 29-30 national championships in Orlando, Fla.

It will be his first judo bout since the Beijing Olympic final.

Seems we have a difference of sources, here.
4/29/11 11:03 AM
jayflo145
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I predict Pain!" ~Clubber Lang

as for the tourney results...
60k aaron kunihiro or everett desilets
66k kenny hashimoto, josh o'niel and brad bolen (good top 3)
73k nick delpopolo and eldred (I have nick winning this fight, even though the past 2 or 3 yrs they fought in the final eldred won. great match none the less!)
81k bobby lee, harry st. leger and ross macbaisey
90k garry st. leger, jacob larson
100k kyle vashkulat, shintaro higaishi
+100k mark fletcher, dan McCormick
4/30/11 11:06 AM
Chocolate Shatner

Update:

Satoshi-kun is listed as entered in the OPEN division. None of the weight class divisions, just the open.
4/30/11 1:22 PM
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/11 1:23 PM
I was there the first day working the osaekomi timer - my teammate Mark Fletcher beat McCormick in the +100 division then got pinned in the finals (sorry forgot name) to get 2nd. My other teammate Joshua White won 2 matches and lost 1 in the 73k to get 5th I believe.

Not 100% sure, but believe the St.Ledger twins got 1st and 2nd in their respective divsions. I have a bad neck injury that started acting up so I excused myself from working at the event and was in a lot of pain so I don't remember all the exact details.

Ishii was there giving an interview to Japanese tv but he didn't fight the first day, not sure about if he's going today.

Lots of big name people were there walking around as to be expected - Jimmy Pedro, Mike Swain, Hayward Nishioka, Ishii, Liborio (bjj), Leo White.

I was at the scorers table, run by my coach Sensei Steven Alphabet.

Sorry for no more detailed results.
4/30/11 1:24 PM
FatBuddha

oh yeah, Ross lost early
5/1/11 4:13 PM
FatBuddha

ok - my coach told me that Ishii fought in the open on saturday and destroyed everyone by ippon rather quickly
5/1/11 9:15 PM
CyborgRoyce
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those of us who weren't there:

TOKYO — Olympic judo heavyweight champion Satoshi Ishii, now a mixed martial arts fighter, has swept all before him in his return to the sport at the US national championships.
The 24-year-old Japanese won the open-class title in a field of 13, none of them world-class competitors, at the nationals on Saturday in Orlando, Florida, according to Japanese media and the tournament's website.
"As judo champion, I want to aim steadily for the Olympics hereafter," Ishii told the Sports Nippon daily.
Despite winning the US title, he cannot compete in the world championships in Paris in August because he does not have US citizenship.
Ishii said last year that he might obtain US citizenship after he is granted permanent residency -- allowing him to represent the United States at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
Ishii won the over-100 kg title at the 2008 Beijing Games but gave up judo soon after when the sport's national association did not approve his plan to double as a judoka and a professional fighter in mixed martial arts (MMA).
He made his MMA debut in late 2009 and has lived in Los Angeles since July last year.
Competing in judo for the first time since his glory in Beijing, Ishii won his first match by walkover.
He then threw Kyle Vashkulat, ranked 27th in the world in the 100-kg division, with a body drop in the second match, Kyodo news agency said.
He disposed of his semi-final opponent, Adrian Alonzo, with a sliding collar strangle and dumped Jacob Stromecki with an inner thigh throw just nine seconds into the final.
"It's been a long time since fighting in judo and my techniques are a bit rusty. I think my hand grips were also sloppy," Ishii told Kyodo. "I'm a mixed martial artist, so I don't feel emotional about a return to judo."
Ishii was not considering a full-time return to judo for now but said "I want to give an impact on the world of martial arts", according to Jiji Press.

5/1/11 11:49 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was there both days and watched as many matches as I could (5 mats) including the Masters on Saturday. Ishii was quick as the 66k/73k fighters is what impressed me. And he is not big. I stood next to him after he weighed in. My guess 5" 9" and he is not big for a heavy weight. Kyle towered over him in height/size like. Most impressive fighter(s) to me were Kenny Hashimoto(66K) and Jacob Larsen(90K), they both dominate their field with throws, matwork that far exceeded the competition. St leger's win in 81K was in a brutal div. Surving and winning by the smallest of margins at times.Close calls. Knockout/knockdown matches. Not pretty by any means. Dave Ellis returned for a go (81K)and went 1-2. Aaron Cohen is out with a Kosie Inoue type chest injury, surgery next week, he suffered the injury trying to prevent an Osoto gari in the Pan ams. Damian Ohare(100K) didn't make it a knee injury I was told. Josh Oneil returned in 66k went 1-1,a little rusty offensively. . Eldred and Delpoppolo walked thru their matches until they met. Higashi defeated Kyle for the gold in 100K but i was on another mat. Hope to see the replay on youtube. Then Kyle beat Higashi twice. Higashi injured his left knee but I saw him Sunday and looked ok. Enough for now. If anyone has a question I will give it a go. I think someone will post the championship matches on you tube.
5/2/11 1:25 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The numbers are down from one year ago! Why? Could it be the US Judo criteria for gain a world spot? Compete in 4 world cups (outside the US) and all the other bullshit they require. So if someone trains hard and win the senior nationals they do not get to go the worlds because they did not have enough money to travel to these world cups. Wtf the does attending a world cup have to do with being the best in the US in your division. Why does not US Judo be honest say we already pick our world team. A bunch of crap is what US Judo is putting out. Ronda, Kayla and others would not have gone to the worlds and medaled if this was in place a couple of years ago. And why didn't they tell people early about this 4 world cup shit. This is why the US will ever be a force in judo because they make it harder for people to obtain there goals. Why do players have to be from the big 4 clubs to get anything from US Judo? Yes. I'm pissed! They should be more like wrestling (be fair) because if you work hard, win and prove yourself then you will be reward. And why is everything in Florida?
5/2/11 6:13 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary-do you have any questions on the competition? I am not on the judo 'in crowd' so to speak to offer an opinion. Hope Jayflo can provide some answers. I had hoped they would change the Florida venue for the world cup. It is too hot in July and not by water. The Doral I didn't care for. It is a golf resort. One thing I do know is without international competition you are going no where in your judo.
5/2/11 7:00 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Gary-do you have any questions on the competition? I am not on the judo 'in crowd' so to speak to offer an opinion. Hope Jayflo can provide some answers. I had hoped they would change the Florida venue for the world cup. It is too hot in July and not by water. The Doral I didn't care for. It is a golf resort. One thing I do know is without international competition you are going no where in your judo.

No I don't have question on the competition. International experience is important; the 4 world-cup (4 world cups outside the US) requirement is stupid. Many of the top 5 players have international experience but have not attended 4 world cups. Even the requirements to compete international are stupid have B level points etc... Well the US only has 1 B-level event (very late in the year). How do you get points to travel if there is only one event in the US.

As far the competition for Senior Nationals I heard there were some great matches. I just wish they had a better format for selecting Senior team members. The junior team selection is better then the Senior even though it is flawed also.
5/2/11 7:05 AM
gbutts

lots of upsets, and elite players returning to action, young players stepping up their game (all good things).
5/2/11 9:19 AM
judoblackbelt

2 "younger guys stepping up" were Brad Bolen from his disappointing performance in 2010 at the Nationals. He placed 2nd in 66K. Austin Cooke 3rd place in 66K beating Leanardo from Tech judo. I was in the hotel fitness club Friday night and Bolen was running/cutting weight. Had a nice chat with the young man. He told me how he improved his game in the past year. Bobby Lee fought in 81K and placed 2nd. Kid has heart and takes a little to get going but keeps coming at you for 5 minutes no matter what the score. ST. Leger was more powerfull than any of the 81K players. Very smart fighter. The more I talk the better I rememeber.
5/2/11 9:23 PM
BlackBeltNation
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully videos will be trickling in...
I saw 3 of Satoshi's (wow-- fast is right, JBB), saw Angela Creutzberger's(now Angela Woosley) final @ 48kg.

I haven't seen Natalie Lafon's matches posted... hopefully someone has them.
5/2/11 10:15 PM
judoblackbelt

I didn't comment on any of the women's since I was trying to stay up on the men's. And with 5 mats going all at once a challenge. Give the guys in the open brkt credit for stepping in with Ishii in the brkt. Takes a lot of courage. There are 6 matches posted on youtube. Hopefully tons more.
5/2/11 10:47 PM
Chocolate Shatner

I have to respectfully disagree, jbb. Ishii hadn't competed in judo for almost 3 years. It would be perfectly reasonable to expect a decent amount of "ring rust" on him. Honestly, I am surprised at both his superiority of level, or perhaps the inferiority of those who were in the Open against him.
5/3/11 7:08 AM
judoblackbelt

I deserve no more respect that anyone else. I just try to give my honest opinion. I think more non US citizens/BJJ ers/grapplers would of entered, maybe. The talent level between Ishii and the others was huge. I have never seen a big guy in judo as quick as him, never. Hope others will chime in. I hear there are many more matches on you tube.
5/3/11 7:14 AM
Chocolate Shatner

I guess for me jbb, my mindset would have been if I was living in the area, to say "fuck it, only chance I'm gonna get to go against an Olympian, let's do this!"

True, my match might have lasted a total of 30 seconds from bowing on the mat to bowing off the mat, but what the hell.
5/3/11 9:48 AM
judoblackbelt

I had hoped your mindset would of attracted other top level grapplers especially grapplers from ATT BJJ and all the big name BJJ clubs in the Florida area. They could of fought in the Open brkt and taken on a real judo Olympian. No trash talking about beating some judo Olympian on the ground. The real thing was right there and no one showed up.
5/7/11 10:13 PM
FAMLIMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fatbuddah!!!!!
What's going on??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.