UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> Amateur MMA

4/29/11 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOSEGOOD
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it just me or does amatuer MMA in Florida with the way it's being done just make no sense. With the way the governing body is running it, the complete lack of skill at running these shows from that same governing body and in many cases the promoters themselves, along with some of the crazy rules and "fly by the seat of your pants" attitude towards who requires what from who and when, I just see no point.

Add that to the fact that the ISKA seems to be going out of it's way to avoid using compitent officiating and judging in favor of the same "good 'ol boy" network it's used for years, why would anyone compete in this arena? Might as well go pro and make a few bucks against a guy with close experience. What's the difference?

I thought initially that this would be good for the sport in our state, but looking at the bastardized version they've come up with, it's almost like a spoof of MMA. Especially when you consider how long it took them to put this stuff together. It would be funny if they weren't serious.
4/29/11 7:33 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hosegood I agree ! All the BS just to fight for nothing it cost a fighter between $200-500 just to step into the cage or ring. Then all the BS rules and every show they interpreted them differently. One ref will let the guys work on the ground and others stand you up with in a few seconds
4/30/11 9:26 AM
RODRIBS
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know I agree! Ive posted about this ammy cluster F*ck before.  Some shows run smooth, others are a joke, the standing 8 count is going to get someone killed, some times three standing 8 counts in a round stop a fight, sometimes not.  The ISKA is COCKY as hell and thinks the run MMA. I could go on and on.

In theory ammy MMA is awesome but the way it is now...
4/30/11 11:44 AM
overhead
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.aamma.info/index.html

4/30/11 2:27 PM
HOSEGOOD
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tried that already overhead. Long story but myself, along with others, have been told that they "pretty much already have the guys in place that they want."
4/30/11 2:29 PM
HOSEGOOD

Mike- It blows you away doesn't it. The God-like attitude they have is unbearable. Especially towards guys who have forgotten more about MMA than they'll ever learn. Then they act like it's us that don't know anything. Crazy.
5/2/11 10:09 AM
RODRIBS
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are ex or current Karate and Take-Yo-Dough cool  guys. The ISKA staff have had 8  year old blackbelts calling them master for way to long not to have big heads :)
5/5/11 6:45 PM
ri_ot
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amen
5/7/11 3:22 AM
Royalt239

the iska is such shit and need to find new judges...
5/7/11 4:34 PM
Royalt239

well i dont see any problem with a 5 fight amateur system cuz some people might train and want to fight to just try it out persay and not make a career out of it. but i do have a prblem with so many small shitty promotions, as they dare call themselves, my best friend is a fighter and before his last fight the kid he was fightin backed out and nothing no replacements nothing. and the judges must be fuckin retarded with the iska in miami that or they were so up att's ass that they needed the hometown boy to win. fuck the judges here lol
5/7/11 7:34 PM
ELCAPITAO1

The concept of Ammy MMA in florida is good I wish there was Ammy when I first started fighting. With that being said I dont agree with the all the rules. The Standing 8 count is rediculous. I decided to start refereeing some ISKA and MMA Global ammy fights to at least help out the sport. My guys regularly compete in a show in Destin (in the Pan-handle) and its run pretty well. So if you're tired of dealing with your local ISKA rep and or promoter call Paul or Travis they run a good ammy show.

Dan Ruiz
5/9/11 1:43 PM
Royalt239

will do unfortunately im just his friend n his gym will get pissed if i set him up with fights but i will let them know about you guys
5/9/11 11:46 PM
Tom Lawlor
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I must say that I was also impressed with the way that Tom Sauer and his crew ran their shows this past weekend, I'd have no problem recommending guys to fight on their show in the future. Started on time, fights weren't held up by long intermissions, and there was a good crowd.
5/11/11 12:53 AM
F2Hodge

I have to agree, Tommy's show in Ocala is great, as is Paul's and Travis' in Destin. F2 will continue to work with them, but this still doesn't address the rules problems with the ammy system. We can only hope that the pressure from the experienced MMA community can help the overseers understand that the added rules and unreliability make amateur MMA more dangerous for the longevity of the athletes who work so hard to get there.
5/12/11 8:25 PM
ELCAPITAO1

Well said Ryan. My hope is that they change the rules soon for amatuers with several fight experience. Like no standing eight count and strikes to the head on the ground for guys with more than 5 fights. If your looking for a dependable ammy sanctioning body goto www.MMASOL.com and they can take care of you.
5/14/11 8:24 PM
HOSEGOOD

One of the major problems is that you can't tell these people anything. They already know it all. Plus, when you have an orginization actively trying to keep knowledgable people out, that's just crazy. They want it done their way. I really do think it's an ego thing. They can't admit that they may need help.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.