UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Philosophy quote question

4/30/11 3:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dan O'Connell
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Admiration is the emotion furthest from understanding."

What does this quote mean? Enlighten me. I understand it a bit but I would like some input from you guys.

Thanks!
5/3/11 2:31 PM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who originally said it?

I don't agree with it anyway.
1/18/12 12:07 PM
Peeixes
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/12 5:42 PM
i think most people would agree that the quote suggests a lack of criticism and, so, a lack of true understanding. there's also the further, slightly less overt implication that all emotion has some necessary distance from understanding, admiration just having the most inherent distance. i'm not necessarily saying that implication holds water, i'm just saying it's made.

if a love of thought is the code of philosophy, then failing to think about something and then regarding it as wholly positive is antithetical to the code, isn't it? the unexamined life not being worth living and all that. i don't think it's that poorly reasoned, but it's also not all that insightful or nuanced.

apparently, this is a quote from the guy who writes the anime "bleach". haha. wtf?

1/31/12 1:38 AM
MMA Translations
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have understood exactly what this person means, in that i have experienced what he is talking about.

to communicate with one another is magic. 

to communicate is for two people to see eye to eye. when one communicates something worthy of communicating, and another person understands, from that point they can possibly work together toward something greater based on that understanding.

to communicate is to understand. those that see the magic in communication and understanding come to understand their power and their essentiality in life. 

to miscommunicate, fail to communicate, or refuse to communicate is to delve into the powerless and unessential. 

to admire is to form a position of refusing to understand by pigeonholing X as "admirable" instead of trying to work toward communication - that is, to "understand" X.

to put it in a practical example, when a person goes to a rural mountainous region in asia and helps install clean water filters to improve the lives of the destitute people living there, and then he returns for a break to his hometown, people everywhere  hear his deeds and look at  him with admiration in their eyes. he receives admiration but never a partner. 
8/5/12 11:50 AM
brannnon
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The quote is overly incomplete. You have to take the idea further. The quote is implying that by admiring something you have not given it enough scrutiny, but I would argue that true admiration comes after massive scrutiny, understanding, a final respect for the target's strengths/weaknesses, and a final admiration for the target in spite of all flaws.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.