UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Brain Damage in MMA (Gary Goodridge)

4/30/11 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Slash
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/11 5:49 PM

The high cost of living dangerously

Gary Goodridge, 45, was an MMA cult hero, fighting 85 times in venues where rules were often loosely enforced. Friends say his speech, memory and co-ordination have deteriorated steadily for several years.

Gary Goodridge, 45, was an MMA cult hero, fighting 85 times in venues where rules were often loosely enforced. Friends say his speech, memory and co-ordination have deteriorated steadily for several years.

RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR
Morgan CampbellSports Reporter

•  Morgan Campbell will be tweeting live from tonight's UFC events, follow him on twitter @morganpcampbell 

BARRIE—When Gary (Big Daddy) Goodridge strides into his living room, the hands that once delivered punches now cradle pill bottles.

Fifteen years ago, Goodridge won his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut by knocking his opponent cold with one elbow strike. The other seven were pure adrenaline.

That fight made the Barrie resident a cult hero in a fringe sport — a 260-pound bruiser who mixed martial arts promoters knew would face any fighter anywhere, as long as the cheque cleared

4/30/11 5:27 PM
Slash
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/11 5:27 PM
Rest of the article:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/mma/ufc/article/983272--the-high-cost-of-living-dangerously?bn=1 
4/30/11 5:29 PM
BrockbackMountain
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So getting punched alot is not good?

Thanks for the tip.
4/30/11 5:36 PM
nexus6ca
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article - feel for Goodridge.
4/30/11 5:37 PM
MoreThanUFC

Please dont anyone troll on this thread.  GG is an aquaintance of mine. 

I ask the mods to keep this thread clean.
4/30/11 5:41 PM
fabes
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More, I'll monitor thread. Phone Post
4/30/11 5:44 PM
MoreThanUFC

fabes -  More, I'll monitor thread. Phone Post

Thanks, man. 
4/30/11 5:45 PM
Hessian
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better to be honest , then live in silence with problems.

Good for GG.
4/30/11 5:48 PM
Haulport

I love Gary but you could see this coming years ago in a couple of interviews. Him, Don Frye and Chuck all show the signs that I have seen so many times in boxing unfortunately and they were just to tough for their own good. I really wish all three of them had retired long before. Imagine if Don and Gary really retired after their last Pride fight against each other and Chuck had called it quits after the Rashad fight?

I think all three of them would be fine now.
4/30/11 5:50 PM
Haulport

One good thing about MMA is that there is significantly less head trauma than football or boxing so hopefully fighters will be able to manage this much better.

Also, I forgot about Ninja. He should have retired after the terrible damage he took against Kharitonov.
4/30/11 5:56 PM
OveREEMed A New Butthole

Bumbaclot -  He got ate punches from Igor, Fedor, Sefo(brutal), Yvel(brutal), some armenian guy(brutal), Mighty Mo(why did he keep getting up?), Mark Hunt.. etc etc

LeBanner, Bernardo, both punch HARD!
4/30/11 6:10 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man
 Theres an interview on the internet somewhere that shows him slurring really, really, bad.

4/30/11 6:10 PM
Horus2001
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GG lives in Canada right? if so, he is fortunate, he will have access to free health care. most people don't realize that good insurance is often found only with corporate employement or spending much out of pocket. i do feel for these fighters who reach retirement without some sort of safety net.

it sucks but MMA is much like football in that they have their moment in the sun and fade from memory often with little money, chronic injuries and little to show for the work. if they are lucky, the fighter can find a job with some sort of insurance that can be used otherwise, they will run bills up and struggle to pay them off.

it would be nice but not likely if there was a fund that helped cover the cost of retired UFC fighters via slight increase in ticket or ppv cost that went directly to the fund.

i am not saying the government needs to step in but rather the organizations that profit from the blood, sweat and tears of the fighters should do the right thing and take care of them.
4/30/11 6:12 PM
BrianStannFan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope the MMA community comes together to get GG any medical or therapeutic help he may need now or in the future.

Best wishes GG.
4/30/11 6:13 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GG is the man, and he'll always have a fan in me. This is an unfortunate but unavoidable part of the sport.
4/30/11 6:20 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info here:

Dementia pugilistica (DP) is a type of neurodegenerative disease or dementia, which may affect amateur or professional boxers as well as athletes in other sports who suffer concussions. It is also called chronic boxer’s encephalopathy, traumatic boxer’s encephalopathy, boxer's dementia, chronic traumatic brain injury associated with boxing (CTBI-B) and punch-drunk syndrome ('punchy'), as well as a variant form, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Symptoms and signs of DP develop progressively over a long latent period sometimes reaching decades, with the average time of onset being about 12–16 years after the start of a career in boxing.

Famous Cases:

Jimmy Ellis, Floyd Patterson (who resigned from the New York State Athletic Commission because of his deteriorating memory), Bobby Chacon, Jerry Quarry, Mike Quarry, Wilfred Benitez, Emile Griffith, Willie Pep, Freddie Roach, Sugar Ray Robinson, Billy Conn, Joe Frazier, Fritzie Zivic, and Meldrick Taylor appear to have been genuinely affected by the disorder[citation needed]. In addition, Muhammad Ali's Parkinson's disease was said to be caused by his boxing career. However, this sort of dementia is only precisely diagnosed in autopsy, and claims of retired athletes not having DP are rarely accompanied by autopsy results. Notably, autopsies of eleven professional American football players by Dr. Ann McKee, of Boston University School of Medicine, found CTE in all cases.[12] CTE has been diagnosed (also by the Boston University group[13]) in one amateur football player, University of Pennsylvania lineman Owen Thomas (football), following his suicide.[14] Professional wrestler Chris Benoit was discovered to have suffered from CTE following his 2007 murders and subsequent suicide, as was his former colleague, Andrew Martin, following his 2009 overdose death.

4/30/11 6:25 PM
Ko2j

Sagiv Lapkin -  GG is the man, and he'll always have a fan in me. This is an unfortunate but unavoidable part of the sport.

Well, MMA has the reputation to be 'a lot less bad than boxing'. But this proves that it's something that fighters need to think about, especially if health care isn't a given in their respective countries.
I think many fighters don't really realise how bad it is, until it is too late. And some quite possibly don't speak out, in order to not damage the sport (Nakai - different injury, but still).

I hope things work out relatively well for GG.

4/30/11 6:31 PM
Attila
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I had no idea he had these issues. And I can't believe he fought as early as December of last year! I really hopes he hangs em up. Looking forward to the documentary.
4/30/11 6:32 PM
Tubcutter

GG gave us so many entertaining fights in UFC, PRIDE, and K1. The man is a legend and as a fan I appreciate him very much.
4/30/11 6:35 PM
Proteus The Invincible

Huge respect for the man Gary Goodridge. One of the greats for sure and will be remembered and respected as long as the sport is alive.
4/30/11 7:42 PM
Biggy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he took alot of fights simply to get a paycheck even if it meant getting beat up - his last fight with mousasi showed this considerably. Phone Post
4/30/11 7:54 PM
rockfists

No offense to gary or this thread, but to say his brain damage is MMA related is a reach. His K1 kickboxing bouts, like boxing, would have caused a lot of damage. I dont consider that mma.
4/30/11 8:24 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
4/30/11 8:26 PM
46and2
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that was slightly depressing.

Good luck Gary, take it easy and enjoy your retirement! Thanks for all the awesome fights.
4/30/11 8:28 PM
Kostakio
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goodridge came to fight - win or lose. Respek! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.