UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo was sick.

5/2/11 2:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMApostle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/jose-aldo-sick-his-fight-hominick-source-1655921/

Jose Aldo dominated the first round of his UFC 129 bout against Mark Hominick. Shortly after the second round started though, the champion seemed visibly tired. Commentator Joe Rogan speculated that it could be a result of a bad weight cut, bringing up that Aldo was light headed and had to excuse himself during the Q&A portion that featured the 7 UFC champs. It seems that wasn't the case though.

BE Reader fafefifofo, brought up that right before Rogan interviewed Aldo, he complained to his corner that he should have taken antibiotics. Bloody Elbow's Tom Mendes of Brazil was able to confirm this. Here's a translation of the cornerman's reply to Jose Aldo:

"Antibiotics would not have helped at all, you’re the champion kid, fuck antibiotics, everything is okay. You fought well, smooth and composed. "

Aldo made no mention of this on the post-fight interview with Joe Rogan. This of course could be because he didn't take anything away from the very game Mark Hominick who took the fight to him, and showed a tremendous amount of heart and determination.
5/2/11 2:21 AM
MMApostle

Maybe the reason he gassed. None the less, Hominick made a fan out of me and I like Aldo even more after that fight, great display of ability between the two, very exciting fight.
5/2/11 2:26 AM
RicePicker
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy shit at the corner. why the fuck wouldnt you give him antibiotics? Phone Post
5/2/11 2:27 AM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he were on antibiotics, he actually may have been a lot worse off. 
5/2/11 2:28 AM
MMApostle

Maybe for fear of testing + or something. Sucks to be sick and fight but you gotta do what you gotta do.
5/2/11 2:28 AM
MMApostle

thforklift -  If he were on antibiotics, he actually may have been a lot worse off. 

True, anything with codeine or anything in it would have made him very lethargic.
5/2/11 2:30 AM
FutonCushion
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicePicker - holy shit at the corner. why the fuck wouldnt you give him antibiotics?

Perhaps he had a viral infection?
5/2/11 2:31 AM
robbie380
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMApostle - 
thforklift -  If he were on antibiotics, he actually may have been a lot worse off. 

True, anything with codeine or anything in it would have made him very lethargic.

codine?  antibiotics don't have codine.  codine is a pain killer.
5/2/11 2:32 AM
robbie380
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Explains a lot with his final round.  An amazing performance for both guys and Aldo is more of a man for not making any excuses. 
5/2/11 2:33 AM
MMApostle

robbie380 - 
MMApostle - 

Well if he took t3's or anything, I guess not an antibiotic but still great for headaches when you're sick.
5/2/11 2:34 AM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, cool of him to not mention it. Aldo is a very respectful guy.
5/2/11 3:22 AM
Johnny Ringo
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

antibiotics are hell on your cardio, for real. Getting sick before a fight is awful, kind of a lose lose situation for yourself. Props to Aldo for being the man and Champion he is. Hominick has long been one of my favorites and he just proved why to the rest of the world. Both are fantastic fighters and people, I very much look forward to a rematch one dya.
5/2/11 3:24 AM
Marzz

RicePicker - holy shit at the corner. why the fuck wouldnt you give him antibiotics? Phone Post

Are you serious? Antibiotics can seriously fuck you up. The last time i had to take them, my stomach began spasming immediately and I started vomiting violently.
5/2/11 3:26 AM
EKPOGI
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robbie380 - 
MMApostle - 

codeine with Hawaiian punch
5/2/11 5:45 AM
46and2
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMApostle - 

Tell me where you get antibiotics with codeine in it, NAO!
5/2/11 6:25 AM
FreightTrain

I dont know if he was sick, but to pretend that he was anywhere near 100% is a complete joke.

Watch anyone of his last 5 fights. The dude is an assassin and a cardio machine. He went 5 rounds with Faber like it was nothing.
5/2/11 6:32 AM
Archer0545

MMApostle - Maybe the reason he gassed. None the less, Hominick made a fan out of me and I like Aldo even more after that fight, great display of ability between the two, very exciting fight.

Well said!
5/2/11 6:40 AM
Moke
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ the fear of antibiotics. Depending on what the infection was and which antibiotics would be necessary to take care of it, antibiotics may have been a tremendous net gain for him to have taken. Btw, Buster Douglas was on antibiotics when he KO'd Mike Tyson.
5/2/11 7:45 AM
GingerWhinger
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next it'll be Jose looked off because he was bit by a brown recluse. Never heard so many excuses (from everyone but Aldo) for a win.
5/2/11 9:18 AM
Unseen626

GingerWhinger - Next it'll be Jose looked off because he was bit by a brown recluse. Never heard so many excuses (from everyone but Aldo) for a win.

I hate this. Everytime a fighter is legitimately injured or ill people complain about it when it's made public. There are times when illness and injuries truly affect fighters performance. Kudos to Aldo for not bringing this up and still putting on a great performance.
5/2/11 9:20 AM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome Fight. Aldo showed why hes a champion, and Hominick proved he's a warrior and gained a ton of fans with that fight.
5/2/11 9:24 AM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen626 - 
GingerWhinger - Next it'll be Jose looked off because he was bit by a brown recluse. Never heard so many excuses (from everyone but Aldo) for a win.

I hate this. Everytime a fighter is legitimately injured or ill people complain about it when it's made public. There are times when illness and injuries truly affect fighters performance. Kudos to Aldo for not bringing this up and still putting on a great performance.

Some people can't see the difference between an 'excuse' and a 'reason' Unseen.

In the alpha-male SUPER-sport that is MMA, real men demonstrate their worth through intangible, arbitrary statements. That GSP didn't flying knee KO Shields after getting poked in the eye doesn't speak to 'eye injury that significantly altered the fight' to some, but rather that GSP doesn't 'go for it' anymore or that 'he's not a real fighter he's an athlete'.

Same goes for Aldo. If he was legitimately sick, that's a reason imo for a poorer performance than his typical. But some people will simply see that as an EXCUSE and that he should have just 'wanted it' more or 'pushed the pace'.
5/2/11 9:25 AM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one goes into a fight healthy; everyone is injured from training camp, and often sick because cutting weakens your immune system. Aldo knows this, and props to him for not using it an excuse. Both he and Hominick could have gone through the list of injuries they had going into the fight; instead neither made excuses ... both are tough guys, who deserve a lot of respect.
5/2/11 9:30 AM
ranier wolfcastle
998 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow. 2 champs fought and won with huge temporary physical disadvanteges
5/2/11 9:31 AM
LittleC
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was really the first time I've seen Aldo fight. I never watched WEC much and was pretty excited to see him. That 5th definitly made me a fan and kinda showed imo how effective the guard still is. True, he didnt come close to subbing him and a couple of decent shots still got thru, BUT SHIT look at how spent Aldo was. He basically layed his head back, closed his eyes, put himself back on the mats of Nova in Rio and prayed to God.

My first time seeing Hominick fight as well. Became a real fan of both that night.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.