UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Footwork Drills

5/2/11 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neverquit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are some footwork drills that help with boxing speed, technique, and explosiveness? Fighters like Roy Jones JR, GSP, and Mayweather have good footwork, what do they do?
5/2/11 3:54 PM
martinburke
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/13 6:36 PM

5/4/11 12:50 AM
CMX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
5/4/11 9:52 PM
OneScoup

Those are good. The Kenny Weldon vids have lots of good ones, but they don't seem to be on YouTube anymore.
5/7/11 8:55 PM
pharochuck
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmJ9sfYYIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phuDAw6qK9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ri7b_70azY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXxwCxLZ3rk&feature=related

This guy has his own channel on youtube
nice

5/8/11 12:40 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
5/9/11 6:51 AM
Joe Ray

You have to practice moving in the 6 fundamental directions: forwards, backwards, left ,right, diagonally forwards-left and diagonally backwards-right.

Practice shuffle steps in these directions, with small steps and progressively to very large steps. Practice moving slow to gain your balance and technique then practice moving as fast you can in these directions.

Also practice doing jump steps in all these directions ie. doing very small jumps in a direction by pushing off the balls of both feet.

That should get you started.
5/9/11 11:47 AM
martinburke
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/03/13 1:49 PM
5/10/11 12:21 AM
Teufel_Hunden
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/11/11 11:20 AM
neverquit

Thanks for the replys guys!!!! but what does TTT mean, i see alot of people posting that ?
5/11/11 2:28 PM
Joe Ray

It means Timmy's Tight Testicles.

It's an inside joke about one of the owners of the site.
5/15/11 9:53 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL
5/15/11 10:01 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - Two more I think are really good. Not footwork exactly, but it covers a technique flaw I see a lot of guys have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngG-YEHQyCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opXhdDkGiX0

I have to disagree with this video. When you throw the right hand you're supposed to keep all of your weight on your back foot? It robs your punch of most of your power if your weight isn't moving in the direction of your punch.
5/15/11 4:35 PM
Joe Ray

When your weight is on your back foot when throwing the right hand you are still transferring your weight forward.

It may sound contradictory to say you punch straight, even move straight ahead, yet keep your weight on your rear foot but that is how it is done.

When you can torque your body and pivot your hips correctly, you can start to generate serious power while keeping your weight on your rear leg.

5/15/11 6:00 PM
e. kaye

Wow.   I used to get cruxified for saying that your weight stays on the back foot.
5/15/11 10:49 PM
martinburke

Edited: 03/03/13 1:49 PM
5/16/11 6:56 AM
HULC

"The weight's not really on the back foot, either. He's driving off the back foot, but the weight's actually more over the back knee. The weight is in transition but not yet committed to the front leg. The intention is to land the punch and transfer the weight to the target before the front leg has to carry the weight."

I understand that when you start the punch you will be pushing through your rear foot, and the ideal scenario is that all the energy goes through your fist into the target. But at the end he's showing how the punch should look at full extension in mid air and still saying your weight should be on the rear foot. That goes against everything i've ever been taught or read, or have gleaned from personal experience.
6/25/11 2:20 AM
Shope_1990
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
6/28/11 10:19 AM
Fight! UK Online
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting those vids. Subbing to watch them all later!
8/12/11 5:59 PM
DangerZone
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
8/14/11 6:50 AM
owlfeeder
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed
8/17/11 2:35 AM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dot drill, agility ladder drills, balance board drills Phone Post
11/21/11 11:18 AM
The Rasch

Thx for posting. Sub'd for later. Phone Post
11/21/11 1:04 PM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - "The weight's not really on the back foot, either. He's driving off the back foot, but the weight's actually more over the back knee. The weight is in transition but not yet committed to the front leg. The intention is to land the punch and transfer the weight to the target before the front leg has to carry the weight."

I understand that when you start the punch you will be pushing through your rear foot, and the ideal scenario is that all the energy goes through your fist into the target. But at the end he's showing how the punch should look at full extension in mid air and still saying your weight should be on the rear foot. That goes against everything i've ever been taught or read, or have gleaned from personal experience.

yeah, i think the guy's explaining it wrong... the weight should be centered under the hips. more weight on the front or back leg, and you're off balance in that direction.

that make more sense?
11/21/11 1:08 PM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

neverquit - What are some footwork drills that help with boxing speed, technique, and explosiveness? Fighters like Roy Jones JR, GSP, and Mayweather have good footwork, what do they do?

i think the clothesline uppercut drill is prolly the best thing i've done to develop foot work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIIquuONpH0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL50CAE6B0FE4AFDF3

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.