UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cesar: GSP is a Team Renzo guy not a Jackson's guy

5/2/11 5:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Cesar Gracie, head trainer of the Diaz brothers, Jake Shields, and Gilbert Melendez, recently told an interviewer thathe does not think GSP is a Jackson's MMA fighter at all.

"GSP didn't even go to Albuquerque to train, you know? Greg Jackson flies up there to give a photo-op for the Primetime show and he's in his corner sitting there talking about silly stuff. I get mad because I don't think Renzo gets the credit. That's my problem."

"It's not a ‘Me vs Renzo' kind of thing. We spoke the day before the fight. He was hopping on a plane to go to Brazil and he called me up. My thing is, if you're gonna train someone, they have to carry your flag. If this guy would have come in there and been a Renzo Gracie representative, we would have no problem with that."

"We wouldn't want to obviously have my guys fighting his guys but for a championship fight, it's going to happen. Let's face it, both guys want to be the champ and at the end of the day, let ‘em fight. That's how I look at it. But it doesn't make sense to me for all these guys to train GSP when GSP is Greg Jackson rep even though he's not at Greg Jackson's. He's only at Renzo's and Roger's in London. He's got all these guys coming in to train GSP because they're friends with him, all these Gracie guys from the east coast."

"My whole point was to say to Renzo, ‘Have a talk with him (GSP) and have him be one of your guys' because I think GSP would jump over, I really do.' If the roles were reversed I would have said ‘GSP, look. You want to train with us, you carry our flag into battle. That's it. The public needs to know that we're the guys that are training you, not Greg Jackson who isn't training you.'"

"That was my whole point about it. A lot of people have misconceptions that I was saying, ‘Oh, you shouldn't train him because he's fighting our guy.' That wasn't my point at all. You shouldn't train him because he's not representing you.'

Listen to entire interview...
Read entire transcript...

5/2/11 5:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jujubre
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar Gracie is correct
5/2/11 5:23 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its all GJJ - 2011.
5/2/11 5:24 PM
ILOVEFIGHTING
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know what to think of Cesar, I think all trainers should stop talking to media. Jackson is getting a lot of heat lately.
5/2/11 5:24 PM
ILOVEFIGHTING

Edited: 05/02/11 5:24 PM
double
5/2/11 5:27 PM
Floppy Divac
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar's off his rocker.
5/2/11 5:33 PM
caposa
1658 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge fan of all Cesar Gracie fighters, but damn he says some dumb shit sometimes Phone Post
5/2/11 5:34 PM
Haulport

This is great stuff.
5/2/11 5:36 PM
Str4nger D4nger
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good ol' Caligula Gracie doin his talking thing again. Phone Post
5/2/11 5:41 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sense making

How does it work?
5/2/11 5:42 PM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Renzo is going against the Gracie family!" became, "it's a victory for GJJ and nobody is praising Renzo for his part!" Seriously, contradictions like this are abundant in MMA and it's community. Kinda like how Bisping is loathed by most here because of trolls... But Sonnen (the I'm-just-trolling but not really troll) is loved by a lot here even though he's proven to be a scum bag. Phone Post
5/2/11 5:46 PM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do you guys even listen to or read these interviews before you start hating?

from way before the fight was even considered to the pre fight interviews, cesar's story has been the same about only wanting GSP to represent renzo, who is right behind faraz zahabi in terms of rank of instructors for GSP.

what hes saying is that GSP reps jackson but doesnt really train there and hes tired of jackson getting all the credit when its really these other guys training him.
5/2/11 5:58 PM
Rubitsu
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see what he's saying. You always see GSP training in Canada or mostly renzo's, then the week before the fight Jackson comes in and gameplans. I understand why they feel he should fly the renzo flag. Phone Post
5/2/11 5:59 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar's pretty incessant with this sort of shit no?

Renzo's a grown man and makes his own choices. Cesar seems to just want to land any verbal strike he can on GSP - this defeat must be a bitter one for him.
5/2/11 6:01 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dear Cesar, keep training fighters as you do a good job on the jiu jitsu side of things. Otherwise, just keep your mouth shut as you come across like a ass in interviews more and more.
5/2/11 6:03 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plus its great that somehow he has the inside track on GSP's comings and goings, 24/7, lol. Keep up w your own guys instead.
5/2/11 6:06 PM
MacNYC
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uhh, doesn't he spend more time at Tristar and should be repping them, not Renzo or Jackson?
5/2/11 6:07 PM
E2isME
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo and Roger Gracie + John Danaher = BJJ coaches
Freddie Roach, Phil Nurse, Grant Brothers = Striking Coaches
Firas Zahabi = Head Trainer
Greg Jackson = Strategy Coach/Trainer

5/2/11 6:11 PM
DaTazzManianDevil
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

E2isME - Renzo and Roger Gracie + John Danaher = BJJ coaches

this.
5/2/11 6:20 PM
Freakin 10er
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butt hurt
5/2/11 6:41 PM
Toogawdly

Cesar should starve. Phone Post
5/2/11 6:43 PM
mikmacdo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bruno fernandez is his bjj coach.
5/2/11 6:52 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/11 6:56 PM
Cesar does a lot of trolling and says ridiculous things, but he's actually right here. GSP is not a Greg Jackson fighter. He makes use of Jackson guys as sparring partners (as per the deal where the Tri-Star/Grudge/New Mexico Jackson guys spar together), that's mainly it.

GSP is primarily a Firas fighter, then after that he's affiliated with the New York guys - Phil Nurse and the Renzo gang like Danaher. Then after that, he's affiliated with Jackson. Yet for some reason Jackson gets the credit. GSP didn't even go to Jackson until after becoming champ and losing to Serra. He was at Renzo's academy from the start, basically.
E2isME - Renzo and Roger Gracie + John Danaher = BJJ coaches

Well...almost. Very good post, but yeah, Cesar is right that Jackson just gets too much credit for GSP in general.

Firas is actually probably a lot more responsible for GSP's strategy than Jackson. By far, I'd say. Firas is really GSP's main guy that he relies on. GSP doesn't even meet Jackson that much. It's nuts how this myth of GSP being a Jackson fighter came about.

The Denver guys in Grudge aren't really Jackson guys either, they just have that training partner travel agreement. The only reason people consider Jackson's camp to be the best camp is because they give it credit for Grudge and Tri-Star guys too. Jackson's is a great camp, but there is no "best camp". People just lump these guys together as Jackson fighters. I don't know who the hell did Greg Jackson's PR, but they did a great job brainwashing people :)
5/2/11 7:06 PM
Hunter V

lol, its funny that the only people who have a issue w the labels is those looking from outside. The overall team is fine w things as they are, and they are the only ones who actually count.
5/2/11 7:11 PM
osiriss
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im officially tired of cesar's opinions. His agenda is obvious. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.