UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Late to the party on this one...

5/3/11 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but I am going to start doing all my big sweaty training sessions in jeans/street clothes. I will save the sweats for running and such. Time for more realism... Comments?
5/4/11 5:08 PM
ironmongoose

Bro, that's so 1990's. We're all wearing gis, rashguards, and MMA shorts now.

*points and makes fun of BigSifu's clothing*
5/5/11 5:53 AM
BigSifu

Oh man! I suppose the mullet and congas have got to go too?
5/5/11 11:44 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do not like training in jeans or street clothes.

#1. They are too expensive.

#2. It always makes me think people are getting paranoid about the "absolute assault they are preparing for".

#3. It will make things less enjoyable. Weird environment.

#4. If you train high probability material you dont need to worry than you jumping/spinning back kick doesn't work in your jeans BECAUSE YOU DONT TRAIN THAT KICK.

My opinion.
5/5/11 2:25 PM
BigSifu

Demitrius Barbito - I do not like training in jeans or street clothes.

#1. They are too expensive.

#2. It always makes me think people are getting paranoid about the "absolute assault they are preparing for".

#3. It will make things less enjoyable. Weird environment.

#4. If you train high probability material you dont need to worry than you jumping/spinning back kick doesn't work in your jeans BECAUSE YOU DONT TRAIN THAT KICK.

My opinion.

Thanks for the opinion! I also don't want to injure a partner with a zipper etc...
5/5/11 3:29 PM
ironmongoose

oh yeah... zippers suck too...

Wonder what the next trend will be, when we're laughing at all the pictures of ourselves with crew cuts, wrestling shoes, and chokeproof gis.
5/6/11 9:00 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I always figured things like "the gi" were just a stand-in for "the t-shirts I don't want all these knuckleheads to stretch out from endless grappling sessions". 

Somewhere along the line, they took on a meaning that wasn't initially intended, and form took precedence over simple function. 

I wear a gi to spare my clothes, but I prefer to use no-gi grips, or sometimes practice high percentage grips that I can still use on a shirt, etc. 

I approach my standup gear (uniform, gloves, etc) with similar mild apprehension. 

Great thread.  It's a nice thing to reflect on. 

5/8/11 10:09 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree about not really needing to wear regular clothes, but I absolutely think you need to consider footwear. I wear sandals maybe 90% of the time, so periodically I'll do some bagwork/shadowboxing or running in the just so I know what to expect. Phone Post
5/9/11 7:05 AM
BigSifu

Seul -  I agree about not really needing to wear regular clothes, but I absolutely think you need to consider footwear. I wear sandals maybe 90% of the time, so periodically I'll do some bagwork/shadowboxing or running in the just so I know what to expect. Phone Post

That's a good point,but I wouldn't run in them.
5/9/11 12:30 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big sifu, IMHO I would try all types of clothes AND gear. I have a general rule, train in the clothes you wear every day.

For example: many times I train cops and they come in wearing sweats, so now I tell them wear what you wear on the job, utility belt with add on's, with body armor and most of the time no mats. ...just an example.

For me I train in what I am wearing...spring, summer, fall, winter, with boots, barefoot, sneakers. The day to day for me.
But at times a gi, dungaree jacket, or cheap army surplus jackets work well, and last.
IMHO mix it up

Many people say learn the basics and it will not matter what you are wearing. Yeah ok???....:-) this is true about the basics because you will really need that to adapt because it really is different with environmental training.

In the end, do what you want to do, be creative, have fun doing it, and don't worry about whether folks think it is right or wrong. As we discussed previous, you will get bored, so put on a funny hat and experiment.
Just my 10 cents.
5/10/11 11:17 AM
BigSifu

Most of my "training" clothes cost more than my day to day clothes! Really,my training is a facet of my personality. So some days it's more "real", some days it's more "sport". Really,it is just another way to express myself. Although,I dig sparring/rolling the most...
5/11/11 8:58 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the bad economy I don't have the $$$$ to express myself in wardrobe, I multi-task my clothes. But I was curious, what did you mean by "Time for more realism...' In your opening post?
5/11/11 11:09 AM
BigSifu

Sometimes I feel as though I'm going in too "sport" a direction. I'm not a fancy kicker,but even knees to the head in the clinch could be tough to pull off in some jeans. I don't know if I'm up to Jim Wagner-style stuff,but I sometimes wonder if I could be making better use of my training time than the MMA style stuff I do. My wife says I'm overthinking it,still wondering if I'm doing it "right" (she's right behind me)...
5/11/11 2:11 PM
Joe Maffei

Bro it sounds to me like you are at the stage where you need to customize your program. You already went down the buffet line and now you need to tailor your training to fit your life style...time, money and........age with injuries. I love rolling as well as the next guy, but who says you can't roll on the slippery grass in boots and street clothes, or rolling 2 on 1 "same scene" but you are changing position, moving your hips and using jit's to get back to your feet and run or search out an improvised weapon? IMHO The trick is, don't substitute core fundamentals of fighting while adding that stimulus of reality.
5/11/11 2:56 PM
ironmongoose

With clothing, the important thing is that you do exactly what everyone else is doing. You can't be behind the times, and you can't be ahead either. I remember in the mid-90's at a Tony Blauer seminar I saw some guy with (what we would nowadays probably call) a compression tank top. My friends and I thought this was hysterically funny, like the guy thought he was Batman or something. No one had ever seen a thing like that.
5/11/11 7:02 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's my ten pesos...

Train "HI PROBABILITY MATERIAL" in Boxing, clinch, ground, weapons and firearms.

Train in a safe and practical way. DO NOT train Judo in jeans and a polo shirt. Do not train Thai Boxing in a suit.

Have fun.

Spend lots of time with your wife and kids and friends.

New word for the day: Uxorious

Check it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.