UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My fighter has Down's but is over 18...

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
5/3/11 3:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RODRIBS
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why cant he fight MMA? the state of Floirda has told me he will NEVER have a pro MMA fight. He is 1-1 as an ammy (ISKA) and won a novice grappling tourney. Aleks doesnt eat glue or chew through walls but honestly he wont work at NASA anytime soon.

He is diagnosed with Down's Syndrome but holds a Publix job and has trained for 2 years with me.  My questions, why wouldnt he be approved for license if he is old enough to make his own decisions?
5/3/11 3:17 PM
DiscoNfrno
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/11 3:20 PM

Edited for stupidity

5/3/11 3:18 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

arent the laws different? like isnt being 18 not enough if u have down's? maybe a guardian approval?
5/3/11 3:18 PM
RODRIBS
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aleks is Russian also with a lisp. Hes speech along with social norms do not help him be accepted.
5/3/11 3:19 PM
buddie
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this is not a troll, the answer is that fighting without your facalties is exploitive.
DiscoNfrno
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All jokes aside this is why we have Athletic Commisions to protect people.  You really think he can afford any more brain damage?  That Kyle dude with no arms or legs shouldn't have gotten a fight either.
RODRIBS

Disco, Aleks has thick skin and is a lurker on here. He gae me approval to post but come on man...

5/3/11 3:31 PM
Voodoo
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike, it is the AC's job to protect the state from liabilty. If your student got injured in a fight, I can't imagine the consequnces.
5/3/11 3:35 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 Is he his own legal guardian?  If not, I don't think any state will let him fight.
5/3/11 3:38 PM
DiscoNfrno

Yes, I've been around Downs people volunteering at the special olympics and when you see a 35 year old man lose his shit getting excited over a 5th place (out of 5) trophy and a teddy bear as a prize...obviously one would not think they were of a capable mindset to enter a pro fight.  I would say no if I was the one deciding also, just my opinion.  I can see where this kid could be different and you being biased after working with him.
5/3/11 3:38 PM
RavenFighter

Not being 100% sure of just exactly what Down's is, I looked it up.

You aren't funny if this is a joke, and you really need to take a look at yourself in the mirror if this isn't a joke.

5/3/11 3:40 PM
Tom Lawlor
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a 1-10 scale of retardation, I would say Aleks is a 2 or something.

5/3/11 3:43 PM
DiscoNfrno

Edited: 05/03/11 3:44 PM
Tom Lawlor - On a 1-10 scale of retardation, I would say Aleks is a 2 or something.

Wait...what's the 1 and the 10 on the retard scale?  Is 1 like almost not retarded at all and 10 being full? 
I'm assuming 2 is like almost not retarded if he can read the OG.
5/3/11 3:44 PM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

I say let em fight! Phone Post
5/3/11 3:47 PM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back home we have a saying, if your coming on... come on!
5/3/11 3:47 PM
Seamus619

I am happy to hear this kid is able to train and grapple. But I would not want to see him in an actual fight. Phone Post
5/3/11 3:53 PM
Tom Lawlor
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 is very mild imo....

I have met people who have fought in the UFC who I would classify as a 9 or 10 as well=)
5/3/11 3:54 PM
Kliquid
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/11 3:55 PM
Probably because if he's mentally handicapped, the state has ruled that he is incapable of making this decision on his own. 

As a libertarian, I'm torn. I want people to have freedom, but I am also fearful that there are people who ARE severely mentally handicapped and could be essentially forced into things like this without understanding what they're doing.

I'm certainly not trying to say that you're forcing him to do anything, by any means, but just that there are other people who would definitely do it to make money. 

5/3/11 3:55 PM
GMan99
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough question. I think you would need to trust medical counsel on this.

5/3/11 3:56 PM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too much...
I think training is awesome.
I am not sure I would ok it either, for liability reasons.
i do think Aleks deserves a fair hearing on the matter.
Good luck Aleks...keep training.

5/3/11 3:57 PM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor -  2 is very mild imo....

I have met people who have fought in the UFC who I would classify as a 9 or 10 as well=)

Just look at Seth !
5/3/11 3:59 PM
RODRIBS

Im checking this between classes. Aleks is here and said he would be up to take a picture and let you see what you think. I dont think that is a good idea with some of you assholes out there and honestly see nothing to be gained.  I have however toldhim I would post what he asked. Do you guys think its worth the time to see his picture?
5/3/11 4:02 PM
Leghound
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How does a photo allow us to gauge his mental capabilities?
5/3/11 4:02 PM
Mathamuticus
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't you need 5 ammy in FL before pro? Phone Post
5/3/11 4:03 PM
Kliquid
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RODRIBS -  Im checking this between classes. Aleks is here and said he would be up to take a picture and let you see what you think. I dont think that is a good idea with some of you assholes out there and honestly see nothing to be gained.  I have however toldhim I would post what he asked. Do you guys think its worth the time to see his picture?

What would a picture even tell us, you know? I mean, it's the way he acts and talks that would probably determine if the athletic commission would let him fight.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.