UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Is uki gatame still a legal pin?

5/4/11 10:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last night we were practicing juji arm bar breaks and if the opponent is very strong I like to transition to Uki Gatame. I really like this pin I learned from Pedro way back when. Is this pin still legal with the new judo rule that specifies:

The contestant applying the hold must have his body in either the Kesa or the Shiho position, i.e. similar to the techniques Kesa-gatame or Kami-shiho-gatame.

If my other arm ( my rear arm) is trapped I sit up and place my top leg under under uke's head. And post on my top arm. I asked my instructor and he said it is questionable. I think the posting on my arm is what my instructor questioned if it was legal. Anyone's thoughts?
5/5/11 10:07 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your chest must be facing down. so, you need to be sure to "face" your opponent.
5/5/11 12:58 PM
27CrazyFeet
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this is a pin you really like you should ask a ref at the tournament.

I was at a tournament and during the rules meeting they said for a pin to count your upper body must make contact with your opponents upper body... I tried to argue a bit and they just said nope must have contact....

just a warning of sorts.. be prepared to go for a submission or transition into a pin..

its stuff like this that makes judo so much fun :)
5/5/11 9:14 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I was doing kinda sitting up on on the opponent uki gatame style is not a pin. And I have to as Josh says chest down and facing the opponent. My favorite move is now illegal. I never like to muscle anything and these pins were awesome for me.
5/6/11 11:56 AM
27CrazyFeet
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

.. its not illegal. you just might not get credit for the pin. work on transitioning to other pins or submissions.

also i wonder if you just make the guy tap out from the pin/pain what would happen?
5/7/11 7:19 AM
judoblackbelt

27CF- when you sit up in uki gatame style it puts pressure on the chest. And if the ref calls Osaekomi (pin begins) uke is trying to get out and forgets about the arm you have trapped and you then transition back to juji. I talked to my sensei last night and he said uki gatame is still legit but you have to lean forward and be chest downward. If the ref doesn't call osaekomi you have to transition to something else or you will get a matte(stoppage) and have to restart from standing. One of my uki gatame (variation's)I do when I post on my arm is not a pin. It is as Josh says chest has to be downward facing the opponent. I am going to work on a different pin transition as you suggest. It all depends which of my arms(left/right) is under uke's arms for the transition. Uki gatame is an excellent tecknique. I see at the world class level.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.