UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Got my Shorin Ryu Black Belt today!

5/4/11 2:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From John Korab, same man who taught legendary Joe Lewis. Joe Lewis said he was thankful Korab never competed because he wouldnt have won a thing and John was the man who taught him how to spar and he never scored a clean point on him in training.

Google John Korab from Tower City, PA. and Joe Lewis.

I feel proud of this accomplishment. John was the reason i started training and progressed into MMA, UFC, etc.
5/4/11 6:44 PM
shen
841 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/04/11 6:45 PM

Cool, my niece is a black belt in Shorin Ryu! (Actually I think she is a Nidan now).

j/k.

Congratulations! Shorin Ryu is a good style of karate.
5/4/11 7:21 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations, mang! I was just reading the other thread where you said you were working on your BB.
5/5/11 3:46 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah not working on it anymore...i might cross train in TKD now just for fun, develop more kicks and flexibility!
5/6/11 6:13 PM
japaneseperson

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Yeah not working on it anymore...i might cross train in TKD now just for fun, develop more kicks and flexibility!

what most people dont realize is that TDK is great for flexibility. Flexibility is the first thing that anyone should work on anyway.
5/8/11 12:56 AM
Old Red Belt

Congratulations, I didn't know that about Joe Lewis, I was under the impression that he was a Tracy Black Belt. Of course I didn't know Lou Angel had trained Jeff Speakman either, you learn something everyday.
5/8/11 7:46 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

japaneseperson - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Yeah not working on it anymore...i might cross train in TKD now just for fun, develop more kicks and flexibility!

what most people dont realize is that TDK is great for flexibility. Flexibility is the first thing that anyone should work on anyway.

Agreed, my flexibility is at an all time high...i can do the full splits at 240 lbs.
5/8/11 7:48 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

Old Red Belt - Congratulations, I didn't know that about Joe Lewis, I was under the impression that he was a Tracy Black Belt. Of course I didn't know Lou Angel had trained Jeff Speakman either, you learn something everyday.

Apparently Joe Lewis used to make trips to Tower City, PA and train in my small redneck town with John Korab. John didnt have a studio, he taught out of his basement and in an old furniture store and it wasnt a formal thing open to the public. He was hardcore to say the least.
5/8/11 7:48 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

khd29 - Congratulations, mang! I was just reading the other thread where you said you were working on your BB.

Thank you!!
5/9/11 7:00 PM
alz

congrats! great accomplishment.
5/9/11 7:00 PM
alz

congrats! great accomplishment.
5/10/11 9:34 AM
Kumite4

Good job Bro!

The man I got my BB under  was a training partner for Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace and those guys. He said Joe Lewis was a destroying machine. No one wanted to sparr with him. So I know if you're pulling from those roots you got a BB well worth respect.
5/10/11 1:11 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

alz and Kumite4, i appreciate it! Its been a long time coming for me. I am starting to cross train in TKD now to increase flexibility and coordination with my kicks. I am having fun being a real martial artist again which is how i started out.
5/10/11 1:39 PM
Kumite4

Its good to see a pro MMAer  praising his roots.

I always said if you look at MOST high level MMA guys they all have a back ground in a traditional art of some sort... could be anything from karate to wrestling to bjj or judo.
5/15/11 9:53 PM
Fast Pitch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats man!! That's pretty cool! I miss training in traditional karate.
5/17/11 1:32 PM
Ogami Itto
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! Great to know. Is that your stand up base? What is your grappling base?
5/18/11 9:34 PM
Wolfs Law
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! great accomplishment!
6/4/11 1:20 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

Ogami Itto - Congrats! Great to know. Is that your stand up base? What is your grappling base?

I guess when i trained Karate back in the day and UFC came around we practiced no gi bjj. Then wrestled in college. Now im finally doing gi bjj, about 2.5 yrs, im a 4 stripe purple belt.
7/7/11 3:57 PM
gundoguy

Congrats on your black belt...been a fan of Mike Stone, Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace...all from Shorin Ryu! My friend is a black belt under Tadashi(?)Yamashita Shorin Ryu and has crosstrained in BJJ and Muay Thai...his amateur record is 4-1(3ko's by reverse punch or straight right)and tells me that his karate training made him tough and readied him for his transition into Muay Thai.
gundoguy

Congrats on your black belt...been a fan of Mike Stone, Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace...all from Shorin Ryu! My friend is a black belt under Tadashi(?)Yamashita Shorin Ryu and has crosstrained in BJJ and Muay Thai...his amateur record is 4-1(3ko's by reverse punch or straight right)and tells me that his karate training made him tough and readied him for his transition into Muay Thai.
gundoguy

7/8/11 9:08 AM
Outkaster
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome!
7/8/11 9:37 AM
Ogami Itto
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Kelly and Sijo Steve Muhammad would like to congratulate you.

3/8/12 2:15 PM
khd29

Mike and other Shorin-Ryu guys:

I saw a Shorin-Ryu school here in NYC www.midtownkaratedojo.com

Could you guys tell what training in Shorin-Ryu is like? I was watching their training last night and like the partner style of training.. Is this common or traditional? Benefits of that method?

Would like to hear your experiences.
3/9/12 1:40 AM
JacT
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude that is awesome!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.