UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Dirk the best player in the NBA right now?

5/5/11 7:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go ahead and talk about 12-40 Rose getting the MVP but Dirk is the hardest player to guard in the NBA and has only improved year after year.

For once, Dirk didn't play for Germany during the Summer and it's glaringly obvious by his stamina in the playoffs so far. While most players that came out when Dirk was drafted are fizzling or retiring, Dirk is lighting up team after team.

If his defense was a little better he would probably be on the All-time NBA first team with Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Chamberlain, Jordan, and Magic Johnson.

He's probably somewhere around 6th best player to ever pick up a basketball in the world currently though.
5/5/11 7:25 PM
Floppy Divac
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's playing incredibly well.  It's awesome to watch.  Never did I think I'd see him and Peja out on the floor together.  lol
5/5/11 9:03 PM
HeatleMania12
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hardest man to guard in the world.

Nobody, literally nobody can stop him from getting a good shot off.
5/5/11 9:06 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is he still shooting jumpshots over pointguards when he catches them on the switch?
5/5/11 11:26 PM
HeatleMania12
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes. They can't distract him one bit. Even Artest is too short to even challenge his jumpshot. I think the smartest thing Dirk has done is finally quit listening to the "experts" and stopped trying to drive to the basket and post up almost all together. He was just not effective at that, but he is super effective shooting the fade away and jumpers.

He shot over 50% for the first time in his career this year, his effective offensive efficiency is way up, he is shooting extremely well from 3 and the ft line.

When you can shoot as well as Dirk can, and no one can really stop you from getting a good shot off, you really shouldn't do anything that give the other team a chance to double team or get a turnover.
5/6/11 12:26 AM
CRBMoney14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lebron, and its not close
5/6/11 2:44 PM
kanotoa
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Dirk can beat the Lakers I will anoint him the greatest player of this year.

I will also go on record and say that Dirk has redeemed himself for the Heat choke.

If Dirk can win a title this year I will send WS some beer money.
5/6/11 9:34 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont drink, partna. Send the money to one of the local iceheads on your island, brah
5/9/11 7:23 AM
supersaiyan

quick - Is he still shooting jumpshots over pointguards when he catches them on the switch?

yep lol
5/9/11 10:17 PM
BJJkilla
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

randolph is better
5/10/11 1:00 AM
WrestlingSucks

LOL Randolph is not better and not even on Dirk's level

You over rate these Grizzlies. If anyone wants to put money on the Griz vs Dallas, let me know. Their "winning" the season series has a pretty big asterik if you really watch those games and who was playing in them.

If Memphis gets past OKC, they will have serious problems against Dallas. They are a poor mans Lakers. Shitty guards, good bigs. Everything inside. The difference is that they don't have a star to take games over or anyone to cover Dirk when he's outside.

Let Randolph or Gasol do it and Chandler will dominate the boards. Put a guard on Dirk and he will put up 40 pts. Double team Dirk and as he just showed, he has no problem getting the ball to the open shooters.

Dirk is impossible to prepare for. Randolph is just a good big man.
5/10/11 10:44 AM
Brian Davis

LOL @ 6th best play ever. Not even close.
5/10/11 3:35 PM
WrestlingSucks

Brian Davis seems upset
5/11/11 9:10 AM
Dan W
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kanotoa: i'd like to see you anoint him the greatest player of this year.

k thx
5/11/11 12:34 PM
kanotoa
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan W - kanotoa: i'd like to see you anoint him the greatest player of this year.

k thx

Like I said my hats off to the Mavs. I am indebted to you for raping the rapist.

I gave Dirk a lot of shit over the years for not respecting Duncan and then choking but that is water under the bridge. I think Dirk has proved that he is somewhat tough and I really am rooting for a Memphis/Dallas semi.
5/11/11 12:34 PM
kanotoa

I will send beer money to you too if Dallas wins a title.
5/31/11 6:41 PM
kanotoa

I would have if you hadn't abandon ship.
5/31/11 6:41 PM
phdinmma

Dirk is a top player as long as he's on a nasty shooting streak. which he is on right now.
6/1/11 4:22 AM
EKPOGI
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6612662

MIAMI -- With the Indiana Pacers and the Boston Celtics out of the playoffs, Pacers president Larry Bird does not deny that he's pulling for the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals.

That's mostly because of his longtime friendship with Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, but also because Bird is an unabashed fan of Mavs star Dirk Nowitzki.

"I've always admired the guy," Bird said.

Carlisle has gone to great lengths during Nowitzki's playoff surge to dismiss longstanding and increasingly frequent comparisons between the two, noting that Nowitzki is nearly three inches taller and plays mostly as a power forward, while Bird operated as a small forward for the bulk of his career.

Bird, though, acknowledged in a phone conversation Tuesday before Game 1 of the Finals that he does see "a lot of similarities."

"He's had a great run (in the playoffs), but I've always been very impressed with him," Bird said. "His work ethic, his loyalty to his country. It's really an honor for me to have people compare us.

"He rebounds. He plays at his own pace. He sort of controls the tempo on offense. It'd be nice to be 7 foot and when they run plays and switch (defenders) on him, it doesn't bother him at all. He can see over everybody.

"He's got the step-backs. He gets to the rim. The difficulty of some of the shots that he makes ... one thing about him is that he's always got great balance. His shot looks like he's falling away, but he's got a lot of balance when the shot goes up.

"I understand (the comparisons). I've always felt it's an honor when they compare anyone to me, because I haven't played ball for 20 years."

Asked how much he would have enjoyed the opportunity to take Nowitzki on in one of his legendary post-practice shooting games, Bird said: "I would have loved to compete against all these young guys: LeBron (James), (Kevin) Durant, Dirk. When you play this game, you want to go up against the very best. But I can't even beat Magic (Johnson) in a H-O-R-S-E game any more. That's how far I've fallen."

In an ESPN Radio interview last week with "Mike and Mike," Carlisle said: "I played with Larry Bird for three straight years when he was the undisputed best player on the planet. But he had four Hall of Fame guys to play with. I don't believe that anybody in the history of this game has had to shoulder as much responsibility to score the ball, to get rebounds, to faciliate and try to get other teammates involved as much as Dirk has. And if you think about the nature of his game, to me, it's even more remarkable."

In another interview, Carlisle added: "These two guys are very different. As much as people want to compare Larry and Dirk, Larry was a small forward and he was 6-9. Dirk is close to 7-1 and he's a power forward. There's never been a guy 7 feet, 7-foot-1, that has developed a game to play this style of basketball. Dirk is an absolute original, really, in every sense of the word. He's not like anybody who's ever played in this game. And to me that's one of the things that makes historically good and just unbelievably special."

Bird's passing ability is the area where Nowitzki will never be able to match him, but the 55-year-old lauded Nowitzki's improvement as a playmaker, which was a key element of Dallas' 12-3 march through the West playoffs.

"He keeps his guys involved," Bird said. "He finds his shooters when he's double-teamed. Something that really helped me out is every time I got in trouble, I always had big men to throw it to. I always thought that took a lot of pressure off me.

"Dirk plays the game like Mully (Chris Mullin). He plays it at his pace. You can think the game out a lot easier if you're going at your pace."

Bird employed Carlisle for five seasons as the Pacers' head coach from 2003-07. Carlisle also served as one of Bird's top assistant coaches when Bird coached the Pacers to the 2000 NBA Finals.

"I'm so happy not only for Dirk, but for Rick to get an opportunity to win the ring," Bird said. "A lot of people think Miami's going to win (comfortably), but I think (the Mavs) got a great chance."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.