UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Troy Nickerson clinic. Ringgold Georgia

5/6/11 10:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a pleasure to announce that Troy Nickerson will be at Heritage High School in Ringgold Ga giving a Wrestling Clinic on Friday May 13th from 5-8pm for $15 per participant. If you are registered for the Heritage Freestyle/Greco tournament, admission is FREE! Troy will also attend our Saturday tournament and will be available and demonstrating moves during down time.

Don't miss this excellent opportunity!

Troy Nickerson

High School:
6x Empire State Games Gold Medalist (3 freestyle, 3 greco-roman)
5x NYS Section 4 Champion (2001-2005)
5x New York State Champion (2001-2005)
2x Beast of the East Champion (2002, 2004)
3x Cadet National Champion- 2x Outstanding Wrestler
2x Junior National Champion- 2x Outstanding Wrestler*
*First athlete to win outstanding wrestler award in both styles in the same year
2005 Dave Schultz Excellence Award Winner (state, regional, & national)
2005 ASICS High School Wrestler of the Year
2005 Jr. Hodge Award Winner
College:
4x NCAA Division 1 All-American
4x All-IVY First Team selection
3x EIWA Champion (2006,2007,2010)
2x EIWA Wrestler of the Year (2007, 2009)
2006 IVY League Rookie & Wrestler of the Year**
**First athlete to win both rookie & athlete of the year in their sport
2009 NCAA Division 1 NCAA National Champion
5/25/11 2:15 PM
NCAA92
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crap how did I miss this. Did it actually happen due to the tornados
5/25/11 11:25 PM
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, we had it, about 40 kids from 7 through highschool.  It was really good.  He spent 3 full hours with the kids. 
1st hour he showed some folkstyle stuff from the top. Crab ride mostly and a lot of stuff off that crab position.  I gathered from listening to him that he was pretty dominate in college from top and the spiral ride to the crab ride was his go to move off the whistle.  I was real interested in this part because that crab ride  has a lot of application to jiu-jitsu. 

Second hour was freestyle stuff from the top and how to turn a good guy.  Gut wrenches, leg laces and a lot of similar stuff.  Honestly I was reading Saulo Ribeiro's book during this part but the kids loved it. 

Third hour he opened it up to what ever the kids wanted to do so of course he showed a lot of throws.  Its amazing how much in common those freestyle throws have with judo.  I guess theres only so many ways to throw somebody.

it was a great clinic and he came for free.  Apperently the olympic guys have to do a certain number of hours community service and are available for clinics and such.  You just have to line them up through USA wrestling.  Im sure the club paid for his room and plane ticket to get him here though. 

He was a super nice guy and really motivating.  He spent a good amount of time talking about the mental aspects of wrestling.   Believing in yourself, hardwork, always ask your self if you can work harder and always knowing that going into a tough match that you have outworked the other guy.  Basically just embracing the grind.   Honestly, the talks alone were worth the price of admission.  If you can get that kind of thinking into a young kid  he is going to go far in life. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.