UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> A Week-End of French Judo

5/7/11 9:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After 10 years of training in jiujitsu, I recently picked up Judo. I dont want to do something as corny as chronicling my training experience, but I definitely feel I need to share my thoughts regarding a training session i just came back from. For reference, I started Judo at the Santa Barbara Judo Club under Steve Hoyt, who is an amazing teacher by the way.

Santa Barbara Judo club and Encino Judo club are co-hosting a weekend clinic with French judokas Maxime Nouchy and Sauveur Soriano. Both are 6th degree blackbelts, former international competitors, and international coaches. The first word that comes to mind as an apt descriptor is "wow". Unfortunately for them, we had a low turnout today, but fortunately for us, we got a lot of one on one attention.

They started the clinic with some great killer warm-up routines that really got the blood pumping. Majority of the clinic however was focused on mobility. The need to move loosely yet with strength and efficiency. I feel like a lot of it was in a sense all uchi komi. Yet, it was in such a way that it is globally applicable to all of your judo, and not any one particular throw. Youll have to forgive me, my experience with a typical judo class/clinic is quite limited. Coming from a bjj background, I have approached my judo with the frame of mind that Im there to learn judo. I just feel like it was such a great experience, much like the rest of my experience in Judo thus far.

Now its time to rest up for tomorrows clinic, I believe it too, will be epic.
5/8/11 6:38 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

French judokas have excellent all around judo. We have had some students workout with us who are attending the local universtiy. You ask them and they all have been judo since a kid. No late blommers. Low turnout for judo is quite norm sad to say unless they are here for an extented period of time and the word gets out. YOu really have to get the word out. Enjoy your world class training.
5/10/11 3:08 PM
m.g
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent thread!

My understanding about French Judo, which is probably true for Judo everywhere, is it it heavily rooted in physical education. In French Judo, again from what I understand, there are alot of physical movement exercises and drills that are taught as part of the Judo learning experience which are meant to develop the student's Judo skills as a whole. Some of the best drills I've seen, including groundfighting or Newaza drills come from the French brand of Judo.

German Judo seems to be the same way, that is, heavily rooted in physical education.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.