UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Why do you stand there gazing?

5/8/11 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We are coming upon the celebration of the ascension. This event is probably one of the most underrated and least understood parts of our faith, and our discipleship. It becomes incredibly important on so many levels. Jesus, the bodily risen Lord, does not stay. He is committed to a plan that makes us, His presence upon this earth. The church becomes Jesus hands, and feet. If Jesus stays, this becomes a religion centered around the founder and all the political and power issues that go along with it. Instead Jesus leaves, instead of taking power, he empowers those he shared community with.

In addition, Jesus descends bodily into the heavens. This is no spiritual faith we have. Jesus was flesh and blood. Any spirit that says differently is the spirit of anti christ. And his resurrection and ascension does not change this fact. The Christ does not become a spiritual idea, but the very physical reality of who Jesus is, continues even into and unto eternity. On the throne of the king, sits a flesh and blood man. Christ came and leaves in flesh. What does this mean to us? It means we live in the realm of flesh and blood, and our faith does as well. It is not only a spiritual faith, but a flesh and blood faith. One that says, how I live my actual life matters.

It also means our resurrection, (as Jesus was the first fruits) will be bodily. And will continue into eternity physically.

But what does that have to do with the title of this thread? Nothing, just wanted to state a few things I think get forgotten.

So Jesus, in his body is lifted up into the heavens, and His disciples stand, staring in awe after him. Can't blame them a bit for that. Can you imagine? Each of them seeing him disappear searching for another tiny glimpse. Wondering when He will come back. Wondering what it all means. They stand there, gazing into the heavens, looking at where Jesus went.

And then an angel appears before them, and says, "why do you stand there gazing, He is gonna come back, now get to Jerusalem and wait for the promised power to do what you have been called to" (my paraphrase)

Why do you stand, gazing into the heavens? Why do you stand crying, looking into the heavens? worshipping? Reaching up to God? Searching to see a glimpse of Jesus? Why do you stand there gazing into the future? When you have a job to do here and now. There are instructions. Be filled with the Spirit, be witnesses of the kingdom, and make disciples teaching them to do all that Jesus commanded. Stop with the gazing, and get on with it!!!

just some thoughts

rev
5/8/11 3:14 PM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/8/11 3:16 PM
gord96
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/11 3:17 PM
reverend john - Be filled with the Spirit, be witnesses of the kingdom, and make disciples teaching them to do all that Jesus commanded. Stop with the gazing, and get on with it!!!

I am reading a book called The Forgotten God by Francis Chan. He talks about how many churches today put the Holy Spirit in the corner and forget to ever bring the Spirit up. Your post and more your ending "Be filled with the Spirit" i think is key to people to stop gazing and start doing.

What are your thoughts Rev? Is the lack of teaching about using the gifts that the Holy Spirit can provide causing people to become stagnant in their walk with Christ? Do you think much about the Holy Spirit when you go out in your ministry?

I bring this up as I just read Acts again. The apostles relied SO much on the Holy Spirit in that book.
5/8/11 3:55 PM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

per The Bible Game(TM), "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God". "lean not on your own understanding; in all ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight". IMO, if we learn to allow the Holy Spirit to lead us,desire to be filled with the Spirit, and desire specific Spiritual gifts then those gifts will manifest Phone Post
5/8/11 3:59 PM
gord96
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff mmanthebay. thanks for the post :)
5/8/11 4:14 PM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ my main point is that I believe the Spirit should lead us in ministry. In addition, if we are imitators of God, delighlighted in Him, seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness, and after his heart as David was then service should be led by His Spirit and applied from love. Francis Chan has a short video on the Holy Spirit you may want to check out if you like his material Phone Post
5/8/11 4:15 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/11 5:10 PM
reverend john -  be witnesses of the kingdom.
how do you feel about the kabbalist belief that we live in the Kingdom of God?

or in relation to the question above, my belief in this statement.....

And when the Pharisees demanded of Jesus when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus answered them and said, "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation, ye can not say Look, it is over there, or it is over there, for the kingdom of God is within you!"  ?

5/8/11 4:51 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another good post, you're on a roll this weekend rev.
5/10/11 6:46 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you even  know about the kingdom?
5/10/11 8:21 AM
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry Robert, don't know why I didn't get to your post before. Don't really know about the kabbalist beliefs, but the kingdom according to Jesus is God's reign in us, and will be his reign over all in the future age

rev
5/16/11 12:31 AM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was reminded tonight that perhaps I should spend less time 'gazing' at the computer screen and more time spreading the kingdom and helping others. :-P Phone Post
5/16/11 1:37 PM
inlikeflynn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am relieved to find that this is not a thread about urinal etiquette.

Good post, Rev.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.