UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bonnar vs. Vemola targeted for Versus 5

5/10/11 11:14 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

A light-heavyweight bout between veteran Stephan Bonnar (13-7 MMA, 7-6 UFC) and Karlos Vemola (8-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is in the works for UFC on Versus 5.

Bonnar first tweeted news of the matchup earlier today, and ESPN's Jon Anik later revealed the event.

Although not officially by the organization, UFC on Versus 5 is expected to take place Aug. 14, likely at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

The night's main card airs on Versus, though it's not clear if Bonnar vs. Vemola will be part of the broadcast.

read entire article...

5/10/11 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That fight is not going to end well for Stephan.
5/10/11 11:25 AM
Dongbar13
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol yea baaad match up for bonnar. vemola is an ox
5/10/11 11:28 AM
Neil Funk

this better not be the goddamn main event
5/10/11 11:30 AM
mark9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk -  this better not be the goddamn main event

5/10/11 11:31 AM
HOWtasteMYbigPP
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised they didn't matchup Bonnar with someone less dangerous or more high profile. Vemola could easily become a future top 5 LHW.
5/10/11 11:32 AM
EliteMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elite MMA
 www.mmahq.com/blog/2011/04/11/uk-knockout-of-the-week-karlos-vemola-vs-peter-yendal/

Karlos is brutal on top.
5/10/11 11:50 AM
jjj2121

mcpeepants232003 - 
HOWtasteMYbigPP - I'm surprised they didn't matchup Bonnar with someone less dangerous or more high profile. Vemola could easily become a future top 5 LHW.

a top five lhw with no striking and no bjj? Come on people think a little. Dude has one impressive win in the Ufc and it's over 0-4 Petruzelli.

It amazes me how people can blast great fighters for barely beating over great fighters but when you have an impressive performance against a bottom feeder you are a future contender.

Petruzelli has never been thrashed the way Vemola whipped him.  That looked like a lion throwing around a baby goat or something.
5/10/11 12:00 PM
Dongbar13
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mcpeepants232003 - 
HOWtasteMYbigPP - I'm surprised they didn't matchup Bonnar with someone less dangerous or more high profile. Vemola could easily become a future top 5 LHW.

a top five lhw with no striking and no bjj? Come on people think a little. Dude has one impressive win in the Ufc and it's over 0-4 Petruzelli.

It amazes me how people can blast great fighters for barely beating over great fighters but when you have an impressive performance against a bottom feeder you are a future contender.

he didn't say that he IS a contender he said that he COULD BE a future contender. vemola has potential, you can't deny that
5/10/11 12:09 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bonnar has some interesting losses. His first loss was to some guy name Lyoto Machida that no one ever heard of. He then went on to lose a very close fight with future champ Forrest Griffin. Then he lost to a one dimensional wrestler name Rashad Evans. Lost another competitive decision to Forrest, then lost to some kid no one ever heard of named Bones Jones. Lost to head butt form the Polish Experiment.

Point is, I think Bonnar is better than people give him credit for, it's just that the people he lost to were no ones when they beat him, then went on to be champs.
5/10/11 12:19 PM
KTFOd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree but when has Petruzelli ever faced a top control grinder? I just don't see a guy like Vemola who literally has extremely limited skills besides takedowns and ground and pound being a top five lhw.

Brock has limited skills and he only has takedowns and ground and pound, but most people see him as a top 5.

5/10/11 12:21 PM
bagger
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - Bonnar has some interesting losses. His first loss was to some guy name Lyoto Machida that no one ever heard of. He then went on to lose a very close fight with future champ Forrest Griffin. Then he lost to a one dimensional wrestler name Rashad Evans. Lost another competitive decision to Forrest, then lost to some kid no one ever heard of named Bones Jones. Lost to head butt form the Polish Experiment.

Point is, I think Bonnar is better than people give him credit for, it's just that the people he lost to were no ones when they beat him, then went on to be champs.

Yeah Mark Coleman was just an unknown up-and-comer when Bonnar fought him and went on to great things after their matchup......
5/10/11 12:23 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coleman was a bad lose for sure. He had his time but Bonnar should have beat him. I didn't see Bones' first fight in the UFC, and even though he whooped Bonnar, I think Bonnar is the only one to take around out of him (let alone survive all three rounds).
5/10/11 12:23 PM
fabes
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephan is durable and very tough to finish. I'll take him by sub or TKO late in the 3rd.
5/10/11 12:25 PM
Dublin_Huntington
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it gets out of the first Vemola will gas I bet....
5/10/11 12:31 PM
Morgz
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vemola looked like a BEAST against Seth.

I didn't see his UFC debut, but after the Seth fight I was shocked to back and see it went to decision.   This seems like a bad matchup for Stephan, but he may suprise us.
5/10/11 12:36 PM
awilson82
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool fight. Vemolas gnp is scary but Bonnar is a tough sob. I think Vemola has a bright future.
5/10/11 12:59 PM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephan is still improving. Sergio Penha and One Kick Nick have been refining a lot of Stephan's technique. He consistently gets better.
5/10/11 1:03 PM
jjj2121

Edited: 05/10/11 1:03 PM
mcpeepants232003 - 
jjj2121 - 
mcpeepants232003 - 

Petruzelli has never been thrashed the way Vemola whipped him.  That looked like a lion throwing around a baby goat or something.

I agree but when has Petruzelli ever faced a top control grinder? I just don't see a guy like Vemola who literally has extremely limited skills besides takedowns and ground and pound being a top five lhw.

Yeah I think top 5 is a little lofty for Vemola, I see this fight looking like Bonnar/Jones...not in the spinning back elbow kind of way...rather in the Bonnar going for a ride multiple times like he's at a theme park kind of way.

Also, Petruzelli faced Hamill in his first UFC run and it wasn't that ugly.  He was soundly beaten by Hamill, but his manhood wasn't stolen the way Vemola took it.
5/10/11 1:04 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MurdochIRL - Stephan is still improving. Sergio Penha and One Kick Nick have been refining a lot of Stephan's technique. He consistently gets better.

True story. If you guys ever trained with him you would be impressed. Bonnar is a beast. Way bigger, stronger and skilled than he gets credit for.
5/11/11 8:52 AM
Tim Sylvia poop shorts

vemola = coleman 2.0 and gonna make waves!!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.