UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> "Getting over the hump"

5/12/11 3:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HeatleMania12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who was the last team that consistently improved overa few years to win the title? The Pistons I guess even though they were only 2 seasons removed from a 32 win season in their championship year.

It looks like the new trend is sign stars, win titles. Or has that always been the way it worked?

5/12/11 7:17 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bulls beating the pistons to start their run. who else? there have only been very few teams who have won titles in the 90's-2000s

spurs, rockets, lakers, celtics, heat......i wouldn't call any of those teams "getting over the hump" they were either a dynasty or had 1 monster year (celts & heat)

a few of the teams who COULDN't get over the hump: knicks, pacers, nets, suns, blazers, mavs

it's the same fucking teams in the finals/winning championships every year except once in a while you get a random team who gets hot (76ers etc but they never win it all)

This is a BIG problem with pro basketball IMHNO
5/12/11 9:48 PM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its not a big problem. In fact, for the most part, parity is an illusion. Baseball has a different winner almost every year but the Yankees are always one of the teams in the hunt. Almost every single year.

If you want true parity, the playoffs should be a single elimination tournament. The problem with that is that the best team wouldnt always win the championship. Just see the NFL for proof of that
5/13/11 6:40 PM
PoundforPound
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/11 8:25 PM
It's better for a sports league when every single team has an equal shot at the championship based on how well they are run, not on who is richest.

That is why the NFL is so healthy...every fan from Indianapolis to Seattle to Green Bay knows that their team can get to the Super Bowl in any given year.
5/14/11 3:03 AM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh? Is that why the Patriots and Steelers have been winning or in superbowl after superbowl?
5/14/11 4:27 AM
Windfall
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who was the last team that consistently improved overa few years to win the title?

Maybe Jordan's Bulls?

You could maybe the Rockets, but they probably only won because Jordan retired.

Spurs had instant success drafting Duncan.
Lakers traded for Shaq.
Pistons traded for Rasheed.
Heat traded for Shaq.
Celtics traded for The Big 3.

You could say the successive Spurs championships (2003, 2005) were 'getting over the hump'.
5/14/11 12:34 PM
PoundforPound
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - Oh? Is that why the Patriots and Steelers have been winning or in superbowl after superbowl?

Those organizations win because they are consistently well run. Not because they are the richest ones that go out and buy the best players.

The NFL is a meritocracy and any team that can become dominant deserves to do so. They earned it.
5/14/11 2:33 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Oh? Is that why the Patriots and Steelers have been winning or in superbowl after superbowl?"

Oh? Is that why the Patriots haven't won a superbowl since 2005 and haven't even won a single PLAYOFF GAME since 2007? Or that the Steelers have won 2 superbowls in the last 31 years...
5/14/11 3:09 PM
kanotoa
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the NBA should have TV revenue sharing like the NFL. Give the small teams a chance to win.

Eternally crappy teams like the Clippers shouldn't be rewarded for being crappy either. Maybe punish teams that are eternally crappy all the time due to their own retardedness. The Clippers share the Lakers big market yet they suck ass all the time.
5/16/11 3:44 AM
Liyon
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You could maybe the Rockets, but they probably only won because Jordan retired."

This again?!?!? Regardless of Jordan's retirement, the Rockets won their titles b/c they didn't have to play the Payton/Kemp-led Sonics who choked themselves out of the first round both years.
5/16/11 3:27 PM
PoundforPound

I would have loved to see those Olajuwon Rockets teams against Jordan and Co. in the Finals. It's a shame it never happened.
5/16/11 6:27 PM
Windfall
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liyon - "You could maybe the Rockets, but they probably only won because Jordan retired."

This again?!?!? Regardless of Jordan's retirement, the Rockets won their titles b/c they didn't have to play the Payton/Kemp-led Sonics who choked themselves out of the first round both years.

Uhh, my comment was basically saying "I wouldn't claim the Rockets got over the hump". I'm on your side.

Also, your example happens more often then you may think.

2007... neither the Cavs nor the Spurs were Finals worthy. Did these teams get over the hump? I wouldn't say so - the #1 Mavericks got matched up with their worst nightmare in the 1st round, and were eliminated. They had the Spurs number that year and the previous year.

Even OKC this year... they had to go through an over-achieving #5 with no star what-soever on its team, and then got to face an over-achieving #8 seed, which again, had no real star - some fringe future all-stars players maybe.
5/16/11 6:29 PM
Windfall

So that's why I say.. Jordan's Bulls are probably the last team to get over the hump... I don't think there were any significant/notable changes to their team that brought on success. They just became better then the previous dominators (DET, LAL), and/or the previous dominators lost a step.
5/16/11 6:33 PM
HeatleMania12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think we can sort of agree the bulls were the last team to get over the hump. 

Next question: Were they the only team to get over the hump.
5/18/11 12:12 AM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - bulls beating the pistons to start their run. who else? there have only been very few teams who have won titles in the 90's-2000s

spurs, rockets, lakers, celtics, heat......i wouldn't call any of those teams "getting over the hump" they were either a dynasty or had 1 monster year (celts & heat)

a few of the teams who COULDN't get over the hump: knicks, pacers, nets, suns, blazers, mavs

it's the same fucking teams in the finals/winning championships every year except once in a while you get a random team who gets hot (76ers etc but they never win it all)

This is a BIG problem with pro basketball IMHNO

Knicks , Pacer s and SUns couldnt get over a hump alone called...

Jordan

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.