UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Defending your opponents draw

5/14/11 11:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From Bigsifu
“Joe,in close,how do you think an opponents weapon draw should be treated? 2on 1 (baseball bat) grip? Smothering?"

Another good question my man!!! First you have to identify whether he is concealing a weapon to start with. The way I see it is, everyone is treated as if having a weapon so that eliminates the first step. Next he needs his hands to use the weapon, so monitor the limbs to track the hands, I think 2on1, baseball bat AND smothering should be used in combination moment by moment according to the flow of the fight. But I’ll tell you what, if you cannot inflict massive pain on this guy while using any of the methods he’s gonna get you. So you better know how to throw BOMBS while controlling, or access a weapon of your own, or use your environment as a weapon, or find a sliver in the action to escape and run.
5/14/11 3:57 PM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/14/11 4:03 PM
 In particular,I'm curious about different clinch grips and a percieved draw by an opponent:

Thai Clinch-You're throwing the knees and he reaches for his waistband...

Double underhooks-same thing...

How about this-your opponent is the superior clinch fighter and YOU go for a draw???

I don't have a training partner this weekend so I'm putting my imagination to the test! Controlling the arms is why I prefer a collar and elbow type clinch(or over/under). Dominating from the outside (without a weapon) is purely fantasy for a shrt stocky guy like me. I need to dominate inside and on the ground with superior positioning. Too much self defense taught is reactive rather than proactive. How about some of you guys. Ideas?
5/14/11 4:05 PM
BigSifu

For the sake of discussion let's go non firearms...
5/19/11 4:22 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess they don't have many ideas even with out firearms.....:-(
7/6/11 12:04 PM
Joe Maffei

Ok Bigsifu I gave these guys a couple of months to answer so it's time to move forward with this question.

Pro active first is the only way to go, keeping the guy off balance, pushing, pulling twisting, throwing, monitoring the arms and hand fighting, attack the eyes, throat, groin basically the nervous system where the un-conscious mind reacts.
In other words put the un-conscious mind on the defense with more pressing issues to deal with other then the draw of conscious mind.
That's a start.
7/6/11 6:12 PM
BigSifu

Funny this would come back...

Yesterday my training partner and I were sparring. MMA training gloves,shin/instep,mouthpiece,cup,headgear. I like to scatter my Actionflex sticks & training knives about,so if the mood grabs you,you "cheat". While I was putting on my stuff,my buddy pocketed a knife,and I would say I "died" 10 out of 10 times... My favorite was his pulling guard and stabbing me at the same time. In the clinch,I could NOT detect when he drew. Best to assume everyone's carrying I guess...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.