UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Roundhouse technique

5/14/11 3:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrowCrops
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training in Muay Thai for a couple months now, and starting to get the hang of pivoting and hip rotation on Low Kicks, but find that the higher I try and kick the more I lose my pivoting.

For a roundhouse to the body it's like I'm slicing the bag upwards (with no real power at all). I have a feeling it's partially to do with a lack of groin flexibility, but was wondering if anyone had some tips on maintaining the pivot on the ball of the foot during body roundhouse kicks.

Thanks

5/16/11 4:58 PM
KPR10

Improving flexibility to facilitate hip rotation for high kicks is essential.

Slow it down when you are throwing your high kicks and watch your form, make sure your hips are turned over at the point of impact. When your technique is good then start kicking high with speed and power. By throwing slower high kicks you will also improve your hip strength.
5/17/11 9:44 AM
Outkaster
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It takes years and years to get the flexibility for some people. Everyone wants a shortcuts for high kicks. That's what it sounds like you are having trouble with. Keep stretching every chance you get and the rest will come.
5/18/11 5:31 PM
SamboMMA

ttt
5/20/11 3:54 PM
arlingtonmma

Very informative post. You guys made some good points. Flexibility is everything, you have to slow it down and get the form down first before you add speed. Try to do a rotation of front kick and round house kick all the way and down, this will help increase flexibility. Take a look can see if this helps. http://www.arlingtonmma.com

5/20/11 4:06 PM
arlingtonmma

Edited: 05/20/11 4:06 PM
5/20/11 4:16 PM
arlingtonmma

Edited: 05/20/11 4:17 PM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.