UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Opinion:Is the "RAT" actually RBSD?

5/15/11 9:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well,is it? Or is it one possible piece of the puzzle? Like most things I consider it "dueling". Most "bad guys" would prefer a bigger advantage than 1v1. Let's keep it to the RAT,not all of Vunaks' stuff...
5/15/11 4:32 PM
jrrrrr
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RBSD would also include training in awareness, self awareness, avoidance/deescalation, weapons defense, calling the police instead of getting into fight,making sure the house doors/windows are closed, not hanging with your friends that get you into dumb fights and not sleeping with other peoples mates, etc.

RAT would be the fun cool stuff of RBSD.
5/15/11 8:03 PM
jrrrrr
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL - since its their ex and not their current mate - bang away.
5/15/11 9:56 PM
lloydmtz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is the RAT dueling? Just curious.
5/16/11 10:13 AM
BigSifu

1v1=dueling (IMO)
5/16/11 11:39 PM
lloydmtz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But the RAT is about flowing and adapting to the changes that occur in a fight such as 1 on 1, or 2 on 1, with or without a weapon, etc. How is the RAT dueling in that regards?
5/17/11 11:30 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For anything to be RBSD it has to address the rule of 3's
1.Before the situation occurs.. ( preparing, awareness etc)
2.During the situation..( The fight itself, multiple opponents, environment, weapons etc).
3.After the situation occurs.(recovery, medical, financial, legal etc).

Anything less is incomplete in regards to the reality of it all.
IMHO this is where folks screw-up. They get #2 but ignore #1 & #3, or visa versa.
5/17/11 3:07 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Joe Maffei - For anything to be RBSD it has to address the rule of 3's
2.During the situation..( The fight itself, multiple opponents, environment, weapons etc).

IMHO this is where folks screw-up. They get #2 but ignore #1 & #3, or visa versa.
AGREED.  I think Yoshida4Life just hit on this too:

Yoshida4Life - What about not sleeping with a coworker's ex? Should that also be included in RBSD?

Area 1 seems to involve (A) identification of risky situations & behaviors, (B) identifying methods of minimizing, avoiding, or otherwise addressing these risks, (C) developing or implementing these methods. 

This can include anything from buying a home security system and a big dog, to moving to a better neighborhood; from changing your diet to changing your sexual partners; and from changing from watching TV and leaving your door unlocked to hitting a heavy bag and learning to fire a gun. 

I looked at my own lifestyle 2 years ago and identified my biggest risks as home accident, auto accident, and a strong history of diabetes on both sides of my family.  I identified my risks, methods of addressing them, and implemented some changes. 

Perhaps missing from my list above is (D) identifying the ultimate goal:  what quality of life are you trying to establish and protect? 

I could, for example, change my diet 100% and eat boring, healthier food, but it doesn't fit with my big picture.  Likewise, I could "not drive anywhere" to avoid risk of car accident, but it similarly doesn't jive with my ultimate aim for my lifestyle.  And likewise, I think others finally scale their response (C) to what they learn in (A) and (B) based on their own ultimate aim (D). 
5/22/11 9:20 AM
banco

Viewing any system that focuses on 1 v 1 as "dueling" is the reductio ad absurdum of RBSD. If you had a limited amount of time to teach someone how to defend themselves you could do a lot worse.
5/31/11 12:10 PM
Radd

Joe Maffei - For anything to be RBSD it has to address the rule of 3's

As far as selling books and DVDs is concerned, there is no money in #1 or #3. Sad but true. Well almost. There is good material out there on those areas but they are few and far between.
5/31/11 2:22 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
 My book comes out August 2nd.  I insisted that we spend several chapters on #1 and #3

:)
6/14/11 4:42 PM
jrrrrr

http://ymaa.com/publishing/books/external/facing_violence_rory_miller

Just finished Rory Miller's new book from YMAA.
It has Joe's 3 rules explained...good read.
6/16/11 6:18 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"""Yoshida4Life - What about not sleeping with a coworker's ex? Should that also be included in RBSD? """

Didn't the founder of JKD get found unconscious in Betty Ting Peis apartment, in her bed, naked...???

Maybe he straight JKD'd the adultery...

I dunno nuthin tho...
6/18/11 4:34 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

Demi,

For a man who supposedly knows what he's talking about when it comes to self protection, you post surprisingly little of substance on this forum.
6/18/11 4:56 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe what I believe based on my own experience with the historical and anecdotal data I've collected over the years from various sources "AND" my own experiences as a man.

BUT, it does not matter what I believe.

It's just that sharing ideas with eachother is what a forum is all about.

But, since you asked...

I think he probably committed adultery with "many" women. He had the ego, the resources and the opportunities. Not to mention he was a human being...

I do not believe that BL was a "fighter" of any caliber let alone of the "first order".

My original point stemmed from bruce Lees own words (after reading the quote about "sleeping with a co-workers ex").

Bruce Lee's quotes as saying (I'm paraphrasing) "A fight is not won with one punch or kick. You must learn to endure or hire a body guard and lead a less aggressive life".

So, in his opinion it was dangerous to lead an "aggressive life" (if you could not learn to endure)...

I feel that it is best to learn to endure AND EVEN STILL lead a less aggressive life. You may be the best fighter in the world BUT that doesn't mean you can sleep with other mens wives "because you can beat them up". NAVY SEALs do not go out and start bar fights every weekend. As well trained and skilled as they are they "pray for peace but prepare for war".

So, point being (taking the winding detour I did to get here), BL's JKD "was not" RBSD, neither was anything he lived out (according to the "acceptance" of honor fights in China town etc that the anecdotal material - and his blind following minions would have us believe).

RBSD "always" allows the ego to be injured before the self (or loved ones or innocent persons with the self). RBSD does not put oneself "intentionally in a dangerous position" because one feels that one could handle whatever may come up. BUT, many do not like RBSD, they like MMA or karate etc...

So, Betty Ting Pei, accepting honor fights, doing steroids, being run around by the neck from a massive ego are the things that RBSD would steer you away from...

Now, I'm no better than BL when it comes to living in a skin suit. We all fail miserably. So I'm just trying to deal in truth here. Truth that we can all benefit from in one way or another. And it's TRUTH as I have come to know it at this point in my 42 year long life...
6/18/11 5:09 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Sir Drinks a lot - Demi,

For a man who supposedly knows what he's talking about when it comes to self protection, you post surprisingly little of substance on this forum.

Sir DAL...

I don't know where you get your info from BUT notice in the post you're reffering to I wrote:

"""I dunno nuthin tho..."""

I've NEVER said "I know what I'm talking about". I "do what I do and I know what I know". People see my material and they come and train with me or they don't. Over the past decade I've trained professionals and private clients from all over the world. U.S. Homeland Security to Private Security Firms from other countries to Business travelers... 

Just like a song, popular or not, some will love it and some will hate it...

I've never said my song is the best. I just do what I do. AND, on this forum, I'm just here to share ideas with everyone else who posts. JUST AS THEY are here to share their ideas with everyone too.

"Sometimes when you are a man you share ideas on a JKD forum in your room. It's for fun."

(fist held high with a heavy metal sign)...

6/19/11 3:48 AM
banco

This isn't a court we don't need to prove anything beyond reasonable doubt.

As for BL as a fighter I personally think Kimbo Slice would have had a decent shot at him.
6/19/11 10:39 AM
Demitrius Barbito

"""given that his professional reputation as a martial artist was at stake if he were ever found to be incapable of defending himself"""

Enter the Dragon would have been just as epic if he would have gotten beat up at a burger joint in LA by a Judoka...

I think it's fine that YOU feel the way YOU do. I'm not trying to be popular and I'm not trying to be unpopular.

I do suppose after reading your response that I could be a bit more charitable towards BL, my opinions notwithstanding...
6/19/11 4:08 PM
Demitrius Barbito

"""And that is probably a large part of why people kept on challenging him to fights."""

People do that because they are insecure and childish. It has less to do with HIS skill and more to do with THEIR emotional problems.

You've made me think about my own actions tho, even if I believe the way I do, I can see that saying certain things has a certain effect. I SHOULD BE MORE CHARITABLE WITH MY TREATMENT OF BL.

IMO - BLs credibility as a fighter does not lie in obviousness. Pessimism, optimism and even materialism all have an "obvious attraction". Each is confirmed at first glance by a multitude of facts: Later on each meets insurmountable obstacles.

I personally do not like the "romantic notions of superhuman or even exaggerated claims of un-beatability" BUT, I have come to see, those might be best kept to myself in order to not make others feel injured.

I apologize if I made you upset.

6/21/11 5:21 PM
Demitrius Barbito

If we can get most of those who are skeptical of Bruce Lee to say something as balanced as "BLs credibility as a fighter does not lie in obviousness", then the whole Bruce Lee debate will be far more productive than the usual stuff.

Still...

We all have our own opinions based on our own experiences...

But either way WE ALL "should" (not sure if should is the right word) be able to listen to and tolerate others points of view, debate and not malign the other person simply because we disagree with them. BUT, that's just me...

AND, for the official Underground Forum record: I'm an idiot.

Signed -Demi Barbito

"Everything is tried BUT nothing is true..."

6/22/11 7:00 PM
Demitrius Barbito

""" do you feel like I maligned you personally here?"""

No. But I think we were teetering on antagonism. Maybe not though... But I'd hope to avoid that (with anyone)...

Over the past 5 years I've learned a lot about expressing truth without hitting people over the head with it... There was a time when I thought people "needed" to be hit over the head with it. My world has been turned upside down as of December 2006... For the better.

Maligning BTP and BL isn't the point. Truth (as any one of us has come to understand it) is the point. I personally feel that BL, being human and wearing a skin suit, made huge errors "even in seeking fame and fortune" (being a man who committed to a life that included loving a wife and children "well"). Once there (fame and fortune), the human being - any of us - have more than a "difficult time" seeing clearly what is appropriate or good. We just feed the psychosis we call "ourselves" with endless rationalizations. We have a way of manipulating religion, work ethic, luck, fortune or any other means to help us prove/live with our point of view.

Over the past five years my whole world and view of things has changed radically. 

But, EVEN THO, I still need to be charitable towards others points of view and towards other human beings lifestyle mistake. Shit, I've made most of them myself on the journey...

I still have a general tendency to speak the truth as I see it. I just need to do it in a truly "positive/productive and charitable" way.

I'm still learning.
6/24/11 7:07 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

Hey Demi,

About the wording of my last post to you. It was a pretty offensively phrased. So apologies old chap.

I do actually LIKE the RBSD stuff that you write!

Keep that Heavy Metal Fist pumped high.
6/25/11 12:06 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Sir Drinks a lot - Hey Demi,

About the wording of my last post to you. It was a pretty offensively phrased. So apologies old chap.

I do actually LIKE the RBSD stuff that you write!

Keep that Heavy Metal Fist pumped high.

All good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.