UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> elbow dislocation questions

5/16/11 7:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ASanchez83
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dislocated my right elbow about 2 months ago at a tournament. I tried to post on it. It was a simple dislocation, meaning nothing tore or broke. I have almost completely regained full range of motion and strength with physical therapy. My questions: Have any of you done something similar and have been able to return to judo? And if so, how long did it take to recover? Thank you for any responses.
5/17/11 12:27 AM
Seong gyeong
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stuck my arm out to try and prevent the ippon at a tournament. It worked....he only got wazari. But immediately I felt that something was horribly wrong. Turns out I fractured my radial head in 3 places. Was in the hospital depressed about making such a stupid mistake.

However, the good news is that I was training again VERY lightly within 4 months. Now it's been 8 months and I'm training full-force. (6 months things were feeing pretty much back to normal, just a little hesitant in some situations.)

Physical therapy and positive attitude helped the most; I wouldn't sweat it. You should be fine.
5/17/11 1:55 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah man you tape it up and get back on the mat
5/17/11 6:07 PM
ASanchez83
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Was in the hospital depressed about making such a stupid mistake." I have been feeling this way since it happened. I hope you are 100% now. What kind of exercises did you do in PT? They have me doing wrist flexion and extension, forearm pronation and supination, ulnar/radial deviation, and tricep extensions with a 5 pound dumbbell daily. as well as a series of stretches. Thanks for the support gentlemen.
5/18/11 12:08 AM
Seong gyeong
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The PT you described is pretty much what I did. I looked for whatever exercises I could find online because no physical therapist was provided to me, and the orthopedic surgeon only briefly went over exercises with me.

During randori I usually feel fine. In a regular resting state, however, I can still detect weakness in my arm that was injured. But lately I haven't been as diligent about keeping up with strengthening as I should be, so I'm designing a new workout schedule for each week to help my arm feel better.
5/19/11 12:27 PM
TBoy2
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was in my 20's as a brown belt I tried to block a throw posting on my hand in a tournament. I dislocated my left elbow pretty badly and went to the hospital. They put me in a sling and that night my elbow swelled up pretty big.

The orthopedic surgeon had me take Advil and told me to start exercising my elbow as soon as I could. Unlike a shoulder injury he said you want to get movement going in your elbow so when it heals it does not limit your mobility.

I did not train any Judo for about a month and a half. When I could, I started to do some light weight training and some stretching. When I did start training I went pretty light at first. I had to change my game a little because I could not do any throws that would cause my left elbow to bend. I play a normal right sided grip so I could still do most of my right sided throws that I like (Seio and Uchimata). But, one of my favorite throws I could not do anymore which is a left sided Tai Otoshi using a right handed grip where I punch the Uke's right elbow to the face.

I went to my next tournament 3 1/2 months after my injury and was very nervous. At this small tournament there were only 2 brown belts in my weight class so they put us in with the black belts. The other brown belt pulled out. I had to play 6 black belts and one of them was Rick Hawn who was about 19 at the time. I of course got thrown in 15 seconds by Rick. But, what was cool is I beat a black belt for the first time (by points) and pinned another for Ippon. I also played Rick's dad who liked NeWaza. I was on the mat a few times during our match and every time he grabbed my left arm for an armlock I freaked out and yanked my arm out. lol

That was back in 1996. My left arm is good now, but I still don't do any left throws that bend my elbow. And I had tendinitis in my left elbow a few years ago that would cause pain my elbow. But, I figured out how to take care of that now. These days I mostly train BJJ.
5/20/11 12:28 AM
Seong gyeong

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Interesting about the feelings upon competing for the first time after your injury. I'm eager to get out there and compete again; think there's a tournament coming up in my area next month. So far randori has been going well.
5/20/11 1:42 PM
TBoy2
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. I was very nervous before the tournament and did not sleep well the night before. But, I knew I had to get back on mat and compete ASAP. The longer I waited I knew the harder it would be for me to compete.

"During randori I usually feel fine. In a regular resting state, however, I can still detect weakness in my arm that was injured."
I had this same problem and it took a few years for me to get past this. As I mentioned I changed up my game to compensate for this and my main left sided throw became Ippon Seio Nage using the right side grips. In fact now it is probably my best throw these days.

When I was still doing competition my main right sided throws were Uchimata and Morote Seio Nage that I would setup with leg attacks. And my main left sided throw was Ippon Seio.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.