UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Alternate Playoff Format

5/17/11 7:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Windfall
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/11 7:25 AM

During last years Playoffs, Kenny Smith kept talking about the innovative playoff format that the D-League uses.

I think it's an awesome idea. To summarize... Seeds #1-3 get to *choose* who they want to play, out of seeds #5-8.

Currently, the #1 seed is given the 'reward' of facing the #8 seed. But what if the #8 seed is a matchup-nightmare for them? How is this a reward? Ex... the 2007 #1 Mavericks would have rather picked *any* other team besides the #8 Warriors. They could not beat this team. This years #1 Spurs would have probably rather opted for say... the #7 Hornets.

This method is actually a lot more *fair*, and a lot more interesting, as it fosters rivalries.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/playoffs_090309.html
NEW YORK, March 9, 2009 – The NBA Development League announced today it has implemented an innovative new format for this year's playoffs, which are set to begin as early as April 13.

For the first time, eight teams will qualify for the 2009 NBA D-League postseason, including the winners of the three divisions along with the five teams with the best regular season records, regardless of division.

New for the 2009 postseason, the three division winners will have the unique opportunity to select their first round opponent from the teams ranked five through eight. The top-seeded division winner will select its opponent first, with the second and third ranked division winners following in that order. The fourth seeded team will play the remaining team.

"One of our fundamental goals at the NBA D-League is to utilize our unique position to explore new and different ways to grow the game," said Dan Reed, President of the NBA D-League. "We believe that these innovations will provide our fans with compelling matchups and action packed games."

The first and second rounds of the 2009 NBA D-League playoffs will be one game each, while the Finals will be a best-of-three series.

The 2008-09 NBA D-League regular seasons concludes on April 11.
5/17/11 11:12 AM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point I'd rather just see the 16 best teams making the playoffs. Fuck the least v. west if it means one of the sides lets in garbage teams that have no business being there.
5/17/11 12:36 PM
CRBMoney14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should get rid of conferences all together as it doesnt really make sense.

Keep 5 or 6 divisions that play each other more, then the rest play balanced schedule
5/17/11 3:49 PM
Floppy Divac
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lots of good ideas.
5/17/11 3:57 PM
CRBMoney14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not a huge fan of getting choose i think its gimmicky
5/17/11 4:39 PM
Windfall
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing is as bad as the old baseball pennant... I mean really... 2 teams from each League get in? A team that won a division could have been like.. the 4th best team in it's League.

The NBA Playoffs are fine, IMO - I mean, if you're #9 in the Western Conference, are you really a contender? Sure you're better then the #8 Pacers, but... whatever.

Im not a huge fan of getting choose i think its gimmicky

Not sure what the gimmick is... this system rewards the #1 seed by giving them their best possible match up (at least the best possible match up in the minds of the #1 seed).

As the regular season was closing, I kept hearing the commentators say ridiculous things like "Actually, OKC may not want to over-take the #3 seed, because then they have to play the Lakers in the next round."

^ Read that again, and ask yourself - is that right? It's ridiculous. Should teams purposely dump their seed down to try to get the matchup they want? Because that is what can currently happen.

In the new system you always want to raise your seed, because that gives you the matchup you want, ALWAYS.
5/17/11 5:15 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The East should be allowed 3 teams in the playoffs.
5/17/11 5:58 PM
Floppy Divac
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!!!
5/17/11 7:58 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the Bulls, Heat, and Orlando were the only teams let into the playoffs this year from the East, would the playoffs have been better or worse?

Honest opinions
5/17/11 8:35 PM
Windfall

WrestlingSucks - If the Bulls, Heat, and Orlando were the only teams let into the playoffs this year from the East, would the playoffs have been better or worse?

Honest opinions

Fail - #5 Hawks beat #4 Orlando.

#8 Memphis beat #1 Spurs... you never know what will happen.
5/18/11 12:45 PM
kanotoa
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, what if the #1 team could chose the entire bracket! That would be a hell of an incentive to finish first.
5/18/11 3:58 PM
Nuckin Futs
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see re seating after the first round. When a 8 seed upsets a 1 seed that means that the 3rd seed plays on the road for round 2 and the 4th seed is home in round two.

That's not fair.
5/18/11 4:17 PM
PoundforPound

Windfall - The NBA Playoffs are fine, IMO - I mean, if you're #9 in the Western Conference, are you really a contender? Sure you're better then the #8 Pacers, but... whatever.

If you're the #9 seed in the West you're better than the #8 Pacers, the #7 Sixers, and the #6 Knicks actually.
5/18/11 5:59 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windfall - 
WrestlingSucks - If the Bulls, Heat, and Orlando were the only teams let into the playoffs this year from the East, would the playoffs have been better or worse?

Honest opinions

Fail - #5 Hawks beat #4 Orlando.

#8 Memphis beat #1 Spurs... you never know what will happen.

Memphis beating the Spurs is part of the point. Our eighth seed would have been the east's fifth seed. Memphis would have sent Orlando packing too.
5/18/11 7:34 PM
Tommy Gunnz
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i actually think that having the top 3 teams choose their opponents is a great fucking idea!
5/18/11 9:50 PM
WrestlingSucks

The Hawks beating Orlando is just an example of how shitty the east really is. Miami and Chicago are contenders. After Orlando loses Howard, I'll change my opinion.

Then the East should be allowed 2 teams in the playoffs.
5/19/11 9:34 AM
EKPOGI
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - i actually think that having the top 3 teams choose their opponents is a great fucking idea!

true.could be lots of epic fail when a high seeded team picks an easy one,only to lose.would be nuts

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.