UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Karo has a message for his friends and family...

5/17/11 12:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...who deserted him when he needed their support the most.

"For the record, f*ck all of them. They know who they are, from friends to cousins to certain family members, f*ck them – all of them.”

"There are people who helped me out and they know who they are and I love them to death, but most of the people who I called my friends and family who were all around me when I was doing well, as soon as I fell, they were nowhere to be found. Nobody gave a sh*t, nobody wanted to give a sh*t, nobody called, nobody visited, and nobody said anything.I screwed up and I have nobody to blame but myself. Sure I could blame a lot of people for what happened, but I’m not going to because I learned a lot through all of this. Nobody gave me a hand when I needed it the most. If you can’t help me up, fine, but don’t kick me down more than I already am.”

Read the rest of what "The Heat" had to say about his upcoming fight with Ryan Ford on Thursday in Canada, his battle with painkiller addiction and anxiety, his most often quoted line, his plans moving forward and much more HERE.

Be pre-warned, it's a long read, but Karo had a lot of interesting things to say and he spoke openly and candidly about a number of topics, so if you have the time, please check it out.

5/17/11 12:30 PM
Radio Raheem
1317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously they don't know who he is bro.
5/17/11 12:33 PM
RickStorm
1514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/11 12:38 PM

Perfect first post.. lol

Good article Mike thanks for posting it

5/17/11 1:03 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read, thanks Mike. I've always thought that Karo had what it took skill-wise to challenge for the belt, and if he truly has conquered his demons, I hope we see him back in the UFC soon...or when he thinks he's ready.
5/17/11 1:05 PM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a hard time at someone who's actions led to their life completely unravelling lashing out at others who had grown tired of dealing with the issues that come with drug addiction.
5/17/11 1:13 PM
KidJustice
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 -  I've got a hard time at someone who's actions led to their life completely unravelling lashing out at others who had grown tired of dealing with the issues that come with drug addiction.

This^^^^ At some point you need to let people fall/fail so they can pick themselves back up. If you keep being their support they come to need you to much and they never get better.
5/17/11 1:16 PM
Smith1234
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
5/17/11 1:20 PM
Phil999
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KidJustice - 
jjj2121 -  I've got a hard time at someone who's actions led to their life completely unravelling lashing out at others who had grown tired of dealing with the issues that come with drug addiction.

This^^^^ At some point you need to let people fall/fail so they can pick themselves back up. If you keep being their support they come to need you to much and they never get better.

If that was the case. It probably was some of that. But it does sound like there was some "family and friends" who only came around once he was successful.
5/17/11 1:22 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil999 - 
KidJustice - 

If that was the case. It probably was some of that. But it does sound like there was some "family and friends" who only came around once he was successful.

I'm sure there were a few "hangers-on" that invoked the "Hey bro, we're family!" clause when Karo was doing well, only to disappear when the good times dried up.
5/17/11 1:29 PM
GingerWhinger
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A professional fighter with severe panic disorder is at a massive disadvantage. He didn't turn to drugs to be a cool guy or to have a good time, he did so to quell his demons.

Andrew Golota suffered from the same thing and he would have been the dominant boxing HW from 1996 until now if not for his panic attacks. He's the best gym HW in the world.
5/17/11 1:31 PM
tmr
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed for when i have nothing to do at work.
5/17/11 1:36 PM
Chris Power
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hangers-on and fake people trying to cash in on your success are part and parcel with the fame he was getting. He should have kid himself less and realized that his success was going to draw those sorts of people and that they'd take advantage - they're not just around because they literally just think he's that amazing. But alas, hindsight is 20/20 and this is a trap people of all types fall into once they get that first taste of fame.

I'm a massive Karo fan so I hope he can get through this, but even STILL it seems like Karo won't 100% face himself and his actions. He's still trying to find good reasoning, a good why, but the truth is a series of unfortunate circumstances fucked his career up and he didn't do what he needed to do to correct that, hell he usually just made it worse by mishandling commission issues and things of that nature.

Just goes to show: There's a good reason most fighters fight, and for most of 'em it's because they don't have the faculties to succeed anywhere but fighting. Karo was an amazing fighter, but outside the cage he doesn't seem to connect the dots sometimes and it has cost his career, and indeed his life/lifestyle permanently.

Again though, Karo's the fucking man so I really do hope he can bounce back. Fighting yet AGAIN though without getting himself straightened out mentally doesn't seem like a great idea, but I guess he probably needs the bucks.
5/17/11 1:38 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glad he has realized that about hanger ons and certain family members. He is armenian and in that culture you take care of family if you make it big (blood related and friends), and as we all know plenty of people will F you over the first chance they can get.
5/17/11 1:51 PM
eliwoo

I really don't care about the man's personal life. When he's on, he's a fantastic fighter to watch and a terrific representative of judo. I hope he can get back to where he was because I will always enjoy watching him compete against the best.
5/17/11 1:59 PM
sgotwalks
659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He came across as a total tit on the show, and that doesn't just go away. Would love to see Nick give him a go some day.
5/17/11 2:30 PM
Potatowned

Where does Karo train these days?
5/17/11 2:50 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He spent some time at Xtreme Couture for this camp. Not sure where he trains in LA.
5/17/11 3:31 PM
MedMan007
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the article, it was a good read. Anyone know how to get into contact with Karo? I have a contact who is a great Psychologist with a specialty in sports/performance with some unique approaches. I'd love to see him conquer his demons for good and take the sport by storm.
5/17/11 3:39 PM
Mike Russell

Not sure if it's any indication, but last time I interviewed Karo in person (prior to his Impact fight) he was skinny and he says he was just over 170. I'm about 185 and I looked bigger. He was 182 last week with one week before his fight.

I interviewed him a few days before the Hallman fight and he seems a lot more calm and level-headed now than he did then.

We'll soon find out how far he's come.
5/17/11 3:56 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Parsnippian
5/17/11 3:58 PM
LittleJoeMama
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody knows you when you're down and out...
5/17/11 4:24 PM
Jack Skellington
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karo makes me laugh these days.

lol 
5/17/11 4:34 PM
romophobia
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/11 4:38 PM
 Ryan Ford...good god.
I hope Karo is on top of it.
Good luck Karo.
I hope he knows who you are, Bro.

5/17/11 6:02 PM
Dogman

KidJustice - 

5/17/11 7:03 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.