UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Damn Goju ryu looks cool as hell.

1/3/12 3:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yusul
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/12 3:15 AM
politics aside, you didn't refute the logic of encounters in a real environment with resisting, non-rule bound opponents.

I will say that if you don't have friends that work security, then it's unlikely you'd believe me anyways as there have been no comprehensive studies done on those techniques.
1/3/12 4:28 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yusal, I'm not trying to refute your logic.

And you don't have to believe me. I wasn't trying to persuade you to change your way of thinking or training.

I'm not selling anything or running for political office.

Do what you want. It's a free country.

Discard what is useless for yourself personally, retain what is useful for you personally.

Bruce Lee said that. I think he had a good point.

If hapkido or whatever works adequately well for your security friends, I think that's very cool.

1/3/12 2:00 PM
Ogami Itto
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - Whenever these guys try to "functionalize" their arts they almost immediately begin to look nothing like the kata and static techniques they spend so many hours practicing.

Yes, whenever they "functionalize" it for the ring. Not the street.
1/3/12 4:06 PM
cdueck
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I have been told about GOJU is that the end result looks nothing like the beginning. I trained with a man that had studied goju for years until one of the seniors of the style( Yamaguchi I think) came and trained with them. He said the instructor fought from a very mobile stance that resembled that of a boxer or kickboxer. When asked the instructor said you do that (old basics) to achieve this(more mobile less traditional).
1/11/12 2:40 AM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yes, whenever they "functionalize" it for the ring. Not the street."

Yes, I am absolutely certain that if Fred Ettish and Johnny Rhodes had met in the street, Ettish would have demolished him.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80675093/

Although Ettish did do an admirable job of protecting the vital points on his left hip (a kick with the big toe to that area can be fatal!), he unfortunately fell victim to a couple of hard straight right hands, a sport technique that would never work in the street!
1/11/12 2:42 AM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"From what I have been told about GOJU is that the end result looks nothing like the beginning. I trained with a man that had studied goju for years until one of the seniors of the style( Yamaguchi I think) came and trained with them. He said the instructor fought from a very mobile stance that resembled that of a boxer or kickboxer. When asked the instructor said you do that (old basics) to achieve this(more mobile less traditional)."

This also makes perfect sense to me. Sort of like walking on your hands for 10 years so that you will eventually be really good at walking on your feet.
1/17/12 4:08 AM
keseki

The biggest problem with Goju-ryu is that the punches come in non-stop combinations from all directions, sides, and angles. It could literally kill a man. Goju men have a lot of kicks too. In fact I heard that goju was created in Okinawa for exactly that purpose, because farmers weren't allowed to have swords, of something like that. It was explained in Karate Kid Part 2, if I recall correctly. And in case you were wondering, goju does have a technique like the Crane Kick that Ralph Machado used in the film to win the final showdown. Anderson Silva has used it to knock out a lot of people, so maybe goju people?know something that they aren't telling the MMA people.

Goju isn't just about looking good. Goju is about TCB.
1/17/12 10:54 AM
Kolsyrade
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/12 11:39 AM
John Frankl - "Yes, whenever they "functionalize" it for the ring. Not the street."

Yes, I am absolutely certain that if Fred Ettish and Johnny Rhodes had met in the street, Ettish would have demolished him.
Ettish -Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kempo karate
Rhodes -shorinji ryu karate
(..edited to correct their respective karate styles

The difference? one of the karate fighter was better prepared than the other for the rules neither of them had ever fought under before.  
1/17/12 10:56 AM
Kolsyrade
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/18/12 7:37 AM
John Frankl

Edited: 01/18/12 7:39 AM
"Ettish -Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kempo karate
Rhodes -shorinji ryu karate"

I posted the link for a reason. Listen to the announcers. When you get to the part about Rhodes and his kickboxing credentials, you can edit your post:)

And thanks to kolsyrade for posting the video: very non-traditional, whatever name they give it.
1/18/12 10:09 AM
Kolsyrade

John Frankl - "Ettish -Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kempo karate
Rhodes -shorinji ryu karate"

I posted the link for a reason. Listen to the announcers. When you get to the part about Rhodes and his kickboxing credentials, you can edit your post:)

Why? because he had competed in kickboxing? What is the big deal about that? That does not make him any less a karate practitioner. Lots of karate guys compete in kickboxing.
Or is Royce Gracie no longer a BJJ practitoner since he has competed in MMA?
1/18/12 8:33 PM
BazUK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder what would happen if someone with an imaginaton thought of an open event that pitched style vs style.

Would there be any room for such a thing to grow?

Baz
1/20/12 8:26 AM
John Frankl

Edited: 01/20/12 8:55 AM
edited
1/23/12 12:30 PM
Fast Pitch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ BJJ blackbelts that feel the need to come on a TMA subforum and bash Traditional Martial Arts.

1/24/12 7:35 AM
John Frankl

Yes, it is somewhat laughable.

But I'm not sure anything I wrote above could really be classified as "bash"ing, unless the reader is too insecure to engage in real debate.

I was not born a BJJ blackbelt; I actually spent plenty of time in traditional martial arts as well. So my position is not without its underpinnings.

Also, Fast Pitch, at least I use my real name so everyone knows who I am and what my position is.
1/24/12 9:13 AM
Kolsyrade

And thanks to kolsyrade for posting the video: very non-traditional, whatever name they give it.
Actually, That is not non-traditional.
That is irikumi (Irikumi go "=hard", there is also a irikumi ju "=soft"), and that is older than point karate competition rules. Its the way goju used to fight before karate tried to unify into one sport in the late 40ies.
Irikumi has been a very obscure competition format , but has recently been revived in several Goju organization -although the full contact "Go" version is still not very popular.

1/24/12 12:26 PM
Fast Pitch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe not bashing. Criticizing, a little bit.

Anyway, there's nothing really to debate. Karate is effective in fights. Is it the most efficient method to train in? That depends on the person I guess. Some people enjoy training in Karate more than they do in BJJ or Muay Thai or boxing. Others enjoy BJJ and other stuff more. In the end, all martial arts are cool in their own way. "Powerful yoga", as Mr. Thornton described it.

--Fast Pitch (not my real name, it's better if I stay anonymous), BJJ and Karate practitioner
3/4/12 5:18 AM
keseki

Goju ground fighting techniques have not been mentioned so much.
3/7/12 4:32 AM
John Frankl

They are hidden in the kata.
4/1/12 3:17 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very 1988 in this thread.
4/5/12 1:03 PM
John Frankl

1988 is NOT traditional! My style traces its roots back hundreds of years!
5/17/12 9:17 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing thread!

ttt
5/21/12 1:35 PM
None So Blind
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - They are hidden in the kata.

People who came to UFC et al. in the 2000's or later will never get just how funny this remains :-P
6/16/12 2:15 AM
McLeod
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing Glove Tape - 
Ogami Itto - fuckkk

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eXY4FgKlLok?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eXY4FgKlLok?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Haha! Can't remember the name of the show, but I remember seeing this back in the day. Dude looks like a ghey version of Christopher Penn, aka "Travis Brickley" from Best of the Best, but he's got some balls. Also a great example of the nuttiness and cultish behavior that's alive and well in asian martial arts.

If I'm not mistaken, this was also the show with the uechi-ryu master breaking shit with finger and toe strikes.

Is this to imply that Travis Brickley DIDN'T have balls?!?!?!?!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.