UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Won my division at BJJ tournament with Judo

5/17/11 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CyborgRoyce
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, mostly anyways. I've been training BJJ for 4 months but was doing Judo for 9 months before that. Entered a small sized tournament this past weekend and beat some guys who were much better than me.

I went in with a pretty good gameplan which played in with my strengths from Judo and kept me in control the whole time. Ended up winning my matches by something like 14-2, 9-0 and 16-0.

I know it's white belt level so I'm definitely not bragging here. Just thought some of you guys would be interested since it's what you've been saying all along.

Also, I have to say the 4 months of BJJ training certainly tightened up my game tremendously in ways that purely training Judo wouldn't have, so I'm definitely a supporter of cross-training.
5/17/11 1:54 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vids or gtfo
5/17/11 2:19 PM
CyborgRoyce
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've uploaded the vids my wife took onto youtube but set them to private. Not sure, is it proper etiquette to ask my opponents first before making it public? Otherwise if you guys tell me your youtube accounts I can add you to the list.

My finals match was against a teammate so I probably won't be posting that.
5/17/11 3:33 PM
raleigh

screw it man i post my matches
5/17/11 3:44 PM
CyborgRoyce

Hell no man. There's too many creeps on this site. There's been a couple of cases on the OG where someone has called up an OGers work and harassed their boss. I'm not risking that.
5/17/11 3:44 PM
CyborgRoyce

Btw I'm not in any way trying to turn this into a BJJ vs Judo thread. I respect both arts for what they are.
5/17/11 3:47 PM
raleigh

none of those guys are on the judo forum, ok whatever.
5/17/11 5:19 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Congratulations!

But LOL @ "not bragging because it was *only* the whitebelt division". Get outta here with that nonsense. You're a whitebelt who entered your division and WON. If it's a big accomplishment to you then it's worth bragging about.

Post the dang videos man, otherwise why say anything at all about them?
5/17/11 6:11 PM
ASanchez83
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good work
5/17/11 11:05 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

here's what i think... im not trying to be a prick, dont take it that way. this is just MHO...

I dont like it when people who know how to throw show up to a bjj tournament and start tossing people around at the white belt level. when you get to blue and above, especially purple, then go for it... those people have been around long enough to stay safe while being thrown (I hope). But, at a white belt level, those guy are bearly able to tie a belt and put on a triangle, to go throwing them around is just risky and dangerous for them.

other than that, i say go have a blast!
5/17/11 11:32 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - here's what i think... im not trying to be a prick, dont take it that way. this is just MHO...

I dont like it when people who know how to throw show up to a bjj tournament and start tossing people around at the white belt level. when you get to blue and above, especially purple, then go for it... those people have been around long enough to stay safe while being thrown (I hope). But, at a white belt level, those guy are bearly able to tie a belt and put on a triangle, to go throwing them around is just risky and dangerous for them.

I disagree with Josh. Most bjj white belts that enter a bjj tournament have been training for 6 months or more. It is not your responsibility to make sure someone knows how to take a fall, if they don't then they should not be in the tournament. Bjj is a combat sport, so you assume the risk of getting hurt everytime you compete. Takedowns and throws are a part of bjj, so keep up the good work.

5/18/11 1:05 AM
CyborgRoyce

Missing Glove Tape - Congratulations!

But LOL @ "not bragging because it was *only* the whitebelt division". Get outta here with that nonsense. You're a whitebelt who entered your division and WON. If it's a big accomplishment to you then it's worth bragging about.

Post the dang videos man, otherwise why say anything at all about them?

Sorry man, I was brought up the Chinese way so I always think that any achievement I get is never good enough lol.

Yeah I didn't mention the video until raleigh brought it up, but I spoke to my teammate tonight and he seems to think it's ok so I will post some. He's looking to do white belt champs in 3 weeks and wants me to work with him on TDs so that's great.

I'll turn off the audio though so you guys can't hear the screaming in the background.
5/18/11 1:26 AM
CyborgRoyce

JoshuaResnick - here's what i think... im not trying to be a prick, dont take it that way. this is just MHO...

I think I'm going to have to agree with gbutts on this one.

Firstly, it's part of the rules that throws are legal at white belt level. I'd like to think that if they've made leglocks and wristlocks illegal till blue belt level, and throws were equally as dangerous then surely they would disallow them till that blue belt as well. BJJ has a pretty specific set of rules that ensure the safety of the competitors.

And as Gary said, almost everyone at competitions will have been training for 6 months or more, that's plenty of time to learn how to take a fall. It shouldn't be my responsibility as a competitor to make sure they are doing their part for their own safety.

Btw when I said Judo I wasn't just talking about throws, I was also talking about my base and newaza techniques (kesa and yoko-shiho which I used in all my matches).
5/18/11 11:16 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just post the matches. Sometimes too much discussion gets in the way. That way we can see the effects judo had on your BJJ and vice versa.
5/18/11 1:58 PM
Spartan79

Vids????????? Phone Post
5/18/11 5:44 PM
CyborgRoyce

Hey guys, here's the video. Sorry about the delay, first time uploading on youtube and didn't realize how fidgety it was.

1st match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzfrXf8z4eE

2nd match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJ9vGAKFW8

Enjoy the music lol
5/18/11 7:08 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Just finished watching the first match and it is easily the most entertaining match I've watched in a looooong time. LOL

Given your experience a technical critique really isn't in order, except to say that dialing down your pace and intensity a bit will decrease the spazz factor, thus allowing you to set things up and maintain better control in holddowns. In time, you'll learn to off balance and gripfight better, which will make you less susceptible to guys jumping guard. All in all, though, you did well and deserve credit for the amount of pressure you looked to be putting on your opponent in side control. I also liked that you had the presence of mind to stand things back up in the scrambles and when you were losing position.

Nevertheless, I have to ask what the hell was going on ~1:20. Was that an attempt at sankaku-jime or your own variation of teabag-shiho-gatame? ;)

And like FlopsyBunny mentioned, it was hard to see exactly what you threw in the beginning of the match. My guess is yoko-otoshi, but whatever it was it worked and looked like you planned it. Nice!
5/18/11 7:27 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Second match is just more of the same. Nice pressure and variety with your holddowns and a natural sense of base...that is thwarted by the spazz factor. ;)

Decent attempt at seoi-nage. While you lacked kuzushi, you stayed with it in the scramble to finish it and land on top.

Camerawife deserves a pink slip for making me stare at the ref's camouflaged rump for 3/4 of the match. Geez! Film from the *other* sidelines next time! lol

Again, congratulations and thanks for sharing.
5/18/11 7:54 PM
CyborgRoyce

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, appreciate the comments.

The first throw I did was an o-uchi + osoto combo that we used to drill at my old Judo club. In this case he was too far back so I guess I must've gone for a sliding sacrifice throw version of it.

I was going for the sankaku-jime + gakyu ude garame which I always pull off in training but in this case, both his hands got stuck inside the sankaku so I was trying to pry it out. And because I had two hands occupied, I neglected control and keeping him on his back (rookie mistake, won't happen again). He was a very strong guy too so he managed to roll over

That seionage in the second match was weak... I was lucky that it even got him down.

Yeah, one mistake that I kept making was not getting that underhook in side control. Ended up getting swept in the second match because of it.
5/19/11 2:07 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing Glove Tape -  In time, you'll learn to off balance and gripfight better, which will make you less susceptible to guys jumping guard. All in all, though, you did well and deserve credit for the amount of pressure you looked to be putting on your opponent in side control. I also liked that you had the presence of mind to stand things back up in the scrambles .....

I agree. I love when people jump guard, here is a video of one my counters to the jumping guard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvH2i0sNvQk

I can't stress how important it is to keep the inside high collar grip when they jump guard. I think he should really concertrate on gripping and proper judo stance. Standing like a wrestler makes it hard to move your hips and feet, thus neutralizing your ability to do throws.
5/19/11 6:50 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am unable to fing the your 2 fight videos on you tube. Is it me? thanks,
5/19/11 9:15 AM
gbutts

FlopsyBunny - 
gbutts - 
I agree. I love when people jump guard, here is a video of one my counters to the jumping guard

Interesting. I haven't personally given much thought to countering the guard jump, since usually I am just happy to start the ground fighting with me on top. But maybe I should try something more interesting. What are your other counters to jumping guard. Is this your most successful one?

That one work 90% of the time, but throwing with otso or hari works if you can hit just as they are jumping. I have seen one of my guys bear hug on the rib cage to cause the person to put his feet on the mat and throw with otso. i like taking thier hand off the lapel and using a wrist lock
5/19/11 3:00 PM
CyborgRoyce

judoblackbelt - I am unable to fing the your 2 fight videos on you tube. Is it me? thanks,

I just tried it and the links worked
5/19/11 3:09 PM
CyborgRoyce

gbutts - I agree. I love when people jump guard, here is a video of one my counters to the jumping guard

I can't stress how important it is to keep the inside high collar grip when they jump guard. I think he should really concertrate on gripping and proper judo stance. Standing like a wrestler makes it hard to move your hips and feet, thus neutralizing your ability to do throws.

I watched that video twice before my competition! I was thinking about trying it in my first match but didn't want to risk using a technique I never tried. Actually, I watched a couple of Ronda, Crystal and Erin's grappling matches on your channel to get an idea of how to better use my skillset, so thanks for sharing the vids.

Will try for a better Judo posture next time. I shouldn't let them lure me into playing their game.
5/19/11 7:03 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Edited: 05/19/11 7:03 PM
^More than anything, what I, and I think Gary also, are saying is that things like posture, footwork, and gripfighting rather than a gimmick technique is how you stop someone jumping guard and make them rethink trying it again.

For example, in your 2 matches the times you squared up flat-footed to your opponent is when they jumped guard, and the times you faced them with more of an offset, defensive posture they didn't jump guard. Why? Because at that angle your hips are further away so you were, at times, able to control the inside collar grip Gary is referring to, that effectively blocks their forward movement and allows you to "elbow in" even if they do try to jump. Meaning, with an offset stance your elbow(or more correctly, forearm) pressure keeps their hips away and them unable to close their guard around your waist before you step away and/or counter, thus they slide off/flop to the ground. It's essentially the same concept as the placement/use of the elbow in the classic knee-in-the-butt guard pass. If you're lazy with your arm your opponent is going to armbar/triangle you or simply neutralize your pass every time. But if you keep your elbow in like you should, you create good base that allows you to a) open his guard and b) prevent him from countering and/or reclaiming it during the pass.

But LOL @ Gary's technique. Man, that is *not* good-natured at all. I LOVE it! ;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.