UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Won my division at BJJ tournament with Judo

5/19/11 8:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CR can you give me a title to search by? When I search using the whole link or on you tube v= I get no video can be found. thanks,
5/19/11 8:28 PM
CyborgRoyce
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey JBB, I've made the vids public for now. Try check my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thestevenseagalkick

5/20/11 3:40 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is the allowed rules and there is the intent of those rules. i interpret the intent of a bjj tournament to be proving oneself as superrior rms of applying submissions via newaza. thus, i think if you are going to enter a bjj tournament you should win it in the style that is most appreciated by the sport's established nomenculture.

judo gives match-ending scores in tachiwaza and newaza, thus it makes no difference how you win. but, bjj does not award total victory from the feet.

that's just where i come off on the topic. when my guys enter a bjj tournament i tell them "dont throw the guy around" because i want my guys to beat others in their own area of "expertise"
5/20/11 10:07 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, I watched both matches. Good gripping,footwork and moving. Good fighting spirit. Always attacking. Work on some half guard tie ups and escapes. Learn some Sankaku leg strangles. From side control practice transition to north-south and setups from there. You are a warrior.
5/20/11 11:10 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/11 2:11 AM
<blockquote>JoshuaResnick - there is the allowed rules and there is the intent of those rules. i interpret the intent of a bjj tournament to be proving oneself as superrior rms of applying submissions via newaza. thus, i think if you are going to enter a bjj tournament you should win it in the style that is most appreciated by the sport's established nomenculture. judo gives match-ending scores in tachiwaza and newaza, thus it makes no difference how you win. but, bjj does not award total victory from the feet. that's just where i come off on the topic. when my guys enter a bjj tournament i tell them "dont throw the guy around" because i want my guys to beat others in their own area of "expertise"

ok! how do they learn to use their throws to get positions and/or submission if they don't use it in tournament? Do you tell your wrestlers not to use their takedowns? You know your people better than I. As far as throws not being the intent of bjj, I don't understand why you would say that if it is part of bjj. The intent of all tournaments is to show case all your skills within that rule set. I am well verse in leg locks, ankle locks, and knee bars etc...(sambo things) I would never quit using them if the rules say I can use these techniques but these are things that bjj competitors don't spend a lot of time learning, it gives me an edge. I guess we will just have agsree to disagree on this subject.
5/20/11 7:20 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Gary. While entering _____ tournament means you agree to play within a particular rule set, I take great pride in being able to play *my* game regardless of the format and competition. Meaning, while I train hard to be as complete a grappler as I can be, I *like* to throw people and make *my* life easier by enabling myself to enter newaza on *my* terms, in (hopefully) an advantaged position. Meaning, as someone who tries to be good at everything, why would I want to play to someone else's strength re: fall into an opponent's super ninja guard, where they spend 90% of their training time versus the 30% or however much time I dedicate to it along with everything else? That's just bad strategy and imo, it sends the wrong message for sport and self-defense.
5/24/11 7:32 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just dont think it is proper at a white belt level. white belts in bjj have not been exposed to enough. i dont give a damn about blue+ levels as i said... but, just like in Judo tournaments they often say no armlocks at white belt, i take that same idea a step beyond and dont want my kids throwing around others at a bjj tournament.

i just err on the side of caution. i dont blame those who disagree... this is just me. it means nothing to win a white belt tournament. means nothing to win as a blue either.. IMHO... so, if winning and losing is removed from the equation then i can focus on the development that needs to happen.
6/3/11 9:05 PM
hiptosser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/03/11 9:05 PM
Good tourney for you.
You can do well and win Judo competitions with BJJ style newaza, you can dominate a BJJ tourney with bone jarring Judo and top pressure. I think I saw some say "the same basic art from different perspectives"....wrestlers can smash up BJJ and Judo competitions epsecially when the field is less than expert skill level.
6/6/11 3:23 PM
CyborgRoyce
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the encouragement jbb and hiptosser. Will keep working hard at it

Just a quick update, a week after the tournament, my instructor awarded me a blue belt! It was a real surprise to me and I feel honored to receive it (since I was an eternal whitebelt in Judo).

My goal now is to keep adding tools to my game and to refine those I already have from my Judo base
6/7/11 10:32 PM
judoblackbelt

Congrats and work on those things that I mentioned.
6/9/11 2:32 AM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think acts such as this will bring to light the fact that takedowns in general are quite lacking in bjj (understatement of the year). Of course I dont want people to get hurt, but I also think its a coaches responsibility to make sure their student knows how to fall and execute takedowns. I actually think its more irresponsible for someone to enter a bjj tournament without any tachiwaza training. two sides to the same coin i guess...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.