UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> flavio cantos submissions?

5/18/11 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where does he come up with these? I've never seen many of them in books, etc.
5/19/11 7:12 AM
judoblackbelt
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to many judokas can submit with chokes from bottom guard. It is just part of his game, not important to your judo game. But I have been taught his techniques just very hard to do in judo. It is better to learn how to sweep from bottom guard or learn arm bars from bottom guard. These will apply to other ground similar ground situations. Just my thoughts.
5/19/11 11:18 AM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree. If someone can submit people from bottom guard, then it should be something you should learn to do. There is nothing wrong with learning new things. Canto trains with some high level jiujitsu guys too, like Xande Ribiero.
5/19/11 11:21 AM
raleigh

a lot of the stuff he does I've never seen anywhere else, just wondering where he learned it.
5/19/11 12:34 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raleigh - a lot of the stuff he does I've never seen anywhere else, just wondering where he learned it.

I can't find any video except his strangle. I know he does alot of loop chokes. can someone his video?
5/19/11 8:26 PM
judoblackbelt
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave, Spend all your time learning to submit from bottom guard and how far is that going to get you in a world class event. 0-1 and DONE. The top guys are not going to let him get this. Intermediate level guys yes. It is part of his game and not too many others.
5/19/11 10:18 PM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/19/11 11:03 PM
I'm not saying thats the only thing he should work on. But its something he should learn. You said its not important to his judo game. I think it can be. just not entirely.
5/20/11 12:25 AM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I watch the technique that starts @ 0:31 I wonder what he just did. Maybe I'm just not well-versed in chokes but I don't recall seeing others do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he2GttCwiYE
5/20/11 3:31 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive seen all of what he does before... he is just much better at all of it.
5/20/11 9:13 AM
GB Dave Jr

the choke at 0:31 is a loop choke. he brought his forearm across the neck, and held the guys head down with his leg. after that, its just like pulling on the lawn mower.
5/20/11 10:21 AM
judoblackbelt

Dave, I said not important to "your" judo game. Obviously it is important to his. His ground game is as good as anyone in judo. And I believe once down there he can defeat the best. Just don't spend any time on learning to submit from bottom guard was my original idea. His ground work in the clip before the Loop choke is what is more practical for judoto learn. Awesome display of judo newaza. I can't remember anyone submitting from bottom guard in judo except him.
5/20/11 12:54 PM
dezflag

Check out some books and DVDs by Kashiwazaki and you will find those techniques.
5/20/11 1:04 PM
GB Dave Jr

I'm starting to get the feeling that were on the same page, but at different paragraphs.

either way he does have great newaza.
5/21/11 9:28 AM
judoblackbelt

dezflag,I have his DVD and book and have studied them well. Of the approx 150 techniques he demonstrates in his book which one's are most effective for your game and will help you win in judo? His book covers all the essentials of newaza.
5/22/11 11:01 PM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks GB Dave Jr, been wondering what the hell that choke was for a long time now!
5/23/11 9:38 PM
Empire
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/25/11 12:10 AM
OsotoGary
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seong gyeong - Every time I watch the technique that starts @ 0:31 I wonder what he just did. Maybe I'm just not well-versed in chokes but I don't recall seeing others do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he2GttCwiYE

Hey Seong,

here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jqoCPM7X4E

5/25/11 11:23 AM
Seong gyeong

Thanks, OG, nice breakdown, maybe I'll even try it tomorrow.^^
5/25/11 4:16 PM
judoblackbelt

Nice detail, I was missing the part where he kicks out the leg while experimenting with the technique in practice and gave up. thanks
5/25/11 4:21 PM
raleigh

guys this has been highly successful for me, while I was asking about more than this 'canto strangle' its a high percentage for me if they dont tap you get on top, i told the guys today, this choke is the new hook sweep...
5/26/11 1:50 PM
dezflag

Judoblackbelt, I found Kashiwazaki's "Fighting Judo" had the most effect on my game but it was his sacrafice throws I adopted more than his newaza.
5/27/11 6:25 AM
judoblackbelt

dezflag, I studied a DVD from a seminar and his book Newaza and his clips on youtube. I am a student of judo and BJJ to some extent. My knowledge far exceeds my abilities. Sacrifice throws are not part of my game but happen as result of the "fight". Uke comes in for a throw, block and grab and take backwards for a yuko and follow up with mat work.
6/2/11 10:18 AM
Mit
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.