UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> The MM-eh News Thread

9/3/11 5:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MM-eh
797 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canadians nominated for 2011 World MMA Awards

Fighters Only Magazine has announced the nominees for the fourth annual world Mixed Martial Arts Awards, and several Canadians have been nominated.

Mark Hominick – Along with Jose Aldo, has been nominated for the Fight of the Year for their incredible performance at UFC 129 in April

Mark Hominick – Ring Entrance of the Year, for his moving entrance to the song “Coming Home,” at the same event

Sarah Kaufman – Female Fighter of the Year

John Makdessi – Knockout of the Year for his beautiful spinning back-fist KO of Kyle Watson at UFC 129

Shawn Tompkins – Coach of the Year

Yves Jabouin- Submission of the year.  Jabouin was on the receiving end of an incredible flying triangle choke from Pablo Garza

Hayabusa – The Edmonton based company is nominated in the best Technical Equipment category

Ariel Helwani – The Montreal born Helwani is nominated for MMA Journalist of the Year

MMA Fans can vote for their favourites HERE before November 25

9/3/11 8:07 PM
MM-eh
797 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akiyama moving to Canada?

Japanese fighter Yoshihiro Akiyama is dropping a weight class from middleweight to welterweight and considering moving his training to Tristar Gym in Montreal, the home of UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre.

This news was originally reported on the Japanese site Sponichi, and translated to English by Daniel Herbertson at MMAFighting.com.

According to Herbertson, Akiyama would like to make his welterweight debut when the UFC makes it’s return to Japan in February 2012, and said that he would like to make the move to Tristar  and become the apprentice of St. Pierre.

The 13-4 Akiyama achieved great success fighting for organizations such as K-1 and Dream in his native Japan, but has gone 1-3 in the past two years since joining the North American based Ultimate Fighting Championship.

9/5/11 4:43 AM
MM-eh

Munduruca without opponent once again
By Andy Cotterill (andy@mm-eh.ca)

Winnipeg’s Rodrigo Munduruca (6-1) was told early on Sunday that efforts to secure him an opponent for this upcoming weekends Canadian Fighting Championship 7 have fallen through.

A disappointed Munduruca told MM-eh that he had been expecting to face Lloyd Marshbanks (19-13), but that the Californian fighter had failed to submit his medical requirements on time.

CFC matchmaker Marc-Andre Drolet told MM-eh however that Marshbanks had never actually been an official opponent, and as of last week he still had not returned a signed bout agreement despite verbally agreeing to the fight.

“He was a guy I was looking at, but I wouldn’t say that he was a committed opponent ever.” Drolet said.

With the absense of Munduruca on the card, the bout between Winnipeggers Lindsey Hawkes and Chris Stranger has been moved into the slot for the main MMA fight, and a match-up been Eric Perez and Tony Bibby has been signed.

Also appearing at CFC 7 will be the MMA debut of Sergio Pettis, brother of the UFC’s Anthony. CFC 7 will be headlined by a Muay Thai bout between Dave Zuniga and Cyrus Washington.

Drolet added that finding anyone to face the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Munduruca is always a difficult task.

“It’s a weak division heavyweights. There’s not a lot of guys available and there’s not a lot of guys willing to fight him. There were guys out there, and I’m not going to lie, but a lot of them weren’t valid enough. I wasn’t going to bring in a can for him — I wanted to find a valid opponent for Rod or none at all.”

Despite trying to find fights, a frustrated Munduruca hasn’t fought an MMA match in nearly two years.

He had been scheduled to fight former UFC Heavyweight contender Jeff Monson last year, but just two weeks before the event Monson withdrew with an injury.

And when the Maximum Fighting Championship tried to arrange a fight with behemoth former professional wrestler Bobby Lashley, Munduruco signed his contract immediately only to find out that Lashley did not accept the fight.

Munduruca says that outside of his hometown of Winnipeg, and the one offer from the Edmonton based MFC, he has never received an offer to fight anywhere else in Canada.

“Right now for me there’s not a lot of support, and I would like to have more interest from people outside of Winnipeg and Nationally. I don’t need to be the guy who says that I’m the best of this and that, because I’m always competing and I just want to be respected for that.”

The 33-year-old Munduruca enjoys challenging himself at BJJ competitions, and has won every one that he’s entered in the past two years. He won the Brazilian Nationals last year, won the Abu Dhabi Combat Club Canadian Trials in Montreal in both his weight and open class, the World Masters in both his weight and open class, and also the Pan Ams in his weight class. He chose not to enter the open class for that competition due to having broken his thumb earlier in the day.

Munduruca says that he still has plans for both BJJ and MMA.

“I’ll do BJJ until the day that I die, but if I can’t make it to a UFC or a big event I won’t be disappointed. I think I could, but I don’t think I may have the chances to do it, not because I didn’t want to but because they weren’t given to me.”

Despite the disappointment over this weekend, Munduruca remains pragmatic about his life as it is right now.

“Everybody has a dream to fight in a big event, but I’ve achieved a lot of dreams that I had in my life. Not only competition wise, but to come to Canada and to raise a family with basically nothing. I came to Canada with $40, and now I have a house, I have my business — I have everything.”

9/6/11 5:49 PM
MM-eh

Rory Macdonald and Claude Patrick added to UFC 140 in Toronto

“Two of the welterweight division’s most promising contenders have verbally agreed to fight as Brian ‘Bad Boy’ Ebersole (48-14-1) takes on Rory ‘Ares’ Macdonald (12-1) December 10 in Toronto,” said UFC president Dana White today via UFC.com.

The Kelowna, BC raised Macdonald has gone 3-1 since he joined the UFC a year and a half ago, most recently winning a lop-sided victory over the rising Mike Pyle at UFC 133 in June.

White also announced that Mississauga’s Claude Patrick (14-1) will be taking on Rich Attonito (10-4) the same night in another welterweight pairing.

Macdonald and Patrick join UFC newcomer and Edmontonian Mitch Clarke (9-0) on the card.

UFC 140 is scheduled for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario on December 10th.

9/6/11 6:16 PM
Joe Doerksen
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.
9/7/11 7:48 AM
MM-eh

Thanks Joe.
9/7/11 4:48 PM
MM-eh

Diaz no-shows again and is out, new UFC 137 main event GSP vs. Carlos Condit

Huge news today as just moments ago Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White announced that he has ousted Nick Diaz from his planned championship challenge to Canadian Georges St. Pierre’s welterweight belt at UFC 137 on October 29th in Las Vegas.

The announcement was made at the UFC 137 Press Conference in Las Vegas, which is still ongoing at the time this article is being published.  The decision was made just today after Diaz failed to appear today just one day after he failed to appear at the Press Conference in Toronto yesterday.

Now the coveted title shot will go to former WEC welterweight champ Carlos Condit (27-5), who has gone 4-1 with notable wins over Rory Macdonald and Jake Ellenberger since joining the UFC in 2009.

An amazed St.Pierre said that when he heard the news,”I was caught off guard completely, I don’t understand how someone can not show up to this opportunity”

On Condit GSP said, “I think he’s a better fighter than Nick Diaz and way more dangerous.”

Keeping checking in with MM-eh as more on this story develops in the upcoming days.

9/7/11 5:37 PM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP vs Condit is a great fight. Diaz is an idiot.
9/8/11 11:59 AM
MM-eh

Frenchman Carmont signed to UFC, will appear at 137 with GSP

By Andy Cotterill (andy@mm-eh.ca)

French fighter Francis ‘Limitless’ Carmont has signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship and will make his promotional debut at UFC 137 – St. Pierre vs. Condit in Las Vegas on October 29.

While MM-eh typically does not report MMA news not involving Canadian fighters or Canadian based MMA organizations, Carmont has strong ties to the Montreal training scene, specifically Tristar Gym and is now a legal resident of Canada with the application process for Citizenship underway.

According to trainer Eric O’Keefe, the 16-7 Carmont had previously been offered a fight at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, but it was too close to his contracted bout with Jason Day at the inaugural ‘Slammer in the Hammer” in June so he declined.

O’Keefe says that Carmont was in Las Vegas yesterday with Tristar teammate Georges St. Pierre for the UFC 137 Press Conference, and called him to tell him that he signed.  Carmont and St. Pierre flew the red-eye overnight and are now back in Montreal.

No opponent has yet been named, but O’Keefe says that he expects a several names to be offered in the next few days.

“The thing that’s great about Francis is that because of his reach and his style he can fight anybody.” O’Keefe says, “If I could have my choice I would probably pick someone that could bang with him, because he can bang but his ground and pound is devastating.”

O’Keefe also added that Carmont, who has fought his whole career so far at light heavyweight, has signed with the UFC as a middleweight.

“He’s going to be a monster 185.” O’Keefe said.

9/8/11 1:56 PM
MM-eh

MM-eh Exclusive – John Alessio to face Rob Emerson at SCC 3

Las Vegas based Canadian fighter John Alessio (32-14) has told MM-eh exclusively that he will be dropping down a weight class to lightweight and taking on fellow UFC veteran Robert Emerson (11-10) on November 04 at Superior Cage Combat 3.

Alessio said that Emerson is a skilled opponent with the important UFC-related name.

“We wanted a UFC name so that I can make kind of a splash in that weight class, and get another win and go to the big show — that was always the plan.” He said, referring to his desire to garner a return invitation to the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

He added that although Emerson has 10 losses, it’s a misleading number because nine of them are decisions.

“Emerson’s a hard guy to finish, so I really want to finish him.  I don’t want to ride it out to a decision.”

Alessio thinks he knows just how he’ll make that plan come to fruition.

“I envision him coming out and moving around a lot and trying to pot-shot me.  I think I’ll be chasing him a little bit trying to cut off the ring, landing some good jabs and combinations of my own.  At some point I will finish that fight.”

On the drop in weight class, Alessio said that he’s very excited.

“It’s basically a brand new career for me — I’m starting a clean slate at 0-0 for my record.  It’s exciting and like a whole new career really.”

9/9/11 5:54 PM
MM-eh

Jordan Mein ready to beat up Cyborg

When I first met Lee Mein in 2006, he explained to me the philosophy that he imparts to all of the fighters at his Canadian Martial Arts Centre in Lethbridge, Alberta.

“Fighters fight.” he said.

Those two little words seem to be a perfect fit together, but if you take a moment to think them through you quickly realize that most fighters don’t follow them.

All too often we hear about a fighter tuning down fight offers for various reasons, but that doesn’t happen with Lee, who at 44 years old still gets into the cage pretty much whenever he’s asked, which is three times so far in 2011.

They say that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and the metaphorical apple in this case is Lee’s son Jordan ‘Young Gun’ Mein (22-7), who at 21 years of age has already been a professional mixed martial artist for 5 years and has 29 fights under his belt.

Tomorrow night in Cincinnati Jordan will be participating in what is easily the most important fight of his life so far, when he faces Evangelista ‘Cyborg’ Santos (18-14) at the Strikeforce World Heavyweight Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov.

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST  (Please support my site a little if you enjoy this news)

9/9/11 7:44 PM
MM-eh

Makdessi to take on Hallman at UFC 140

UFC President Dana White confirmed today that Montreal’s John ‘The Bull’ Makdessi (9-0) and American Dennis ‘Superman’ Hallman (50-14-2) have both verbally agreed to fight at UFC 140 in Toronto on December 10.

The UFC offered Makdessi several potential opponents, and when he heard that it was he who was chosen, Hallman tweeted “John Makdessi, thank you for choosing me. I always wanted to visit Toronto.”

This should be the biggest test to date for the undefeated Makdessi, as Hallman brings fifteen years of professional experience into the bout.

Makdessi may have an edge however, as this will be the first fight in nearly a decade that Hallman will be fighting as a lightweight, so it’s hard to say how dropping fifteen pounds below the weight that he’s accustomed will affect him.

With this addition of this fight there are now five known match-ups, with a possible six or seven more yet to be added.

To take a look at how the UFC 140: Toronto fight card currently stands CLICK HERE.

9/12/11 9:47 PM
MM-eh

Mark Bocek to take on Nik Lentz at UFC 140

The lineup for UFC 140 in Toronto on December 10 continues to grow, as Canadian lightweight Mark Bocek (9-4) will be taking on the tough Nik Lentz (21-3-2).

A source inside Bocek’s camp contacted MM-eh today to confirm the news.

Bocek was the first Canadian ever to receive his black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and is coming off of a tough but fair unanimous decision loss to Benson Henderson at UFC 129 in April.

Lentz on the other hand had won four straight before a No Contest result after being struck by an illegal knee from Charles Oliveira at UFC Live 4.

With the addition of Bocek/Lentz, UFC 140 now has seven suspected match-ups, and has four other Canadians scheduled to fight, including Rory Macdonald, John Makdessi, Claude Patrick, and Mitch Clarke.

For a complete listing of UFC 140 matches CLICK HERE

9/12/11 9:48 PM
MM-eh

Carmont to face Chris Camozzi at UFC 137

The opponent for French fighter Francis ‘Limitless’ Carmont (16-7) will be former ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ contestant Chris Camozzi (15-4) UFC 137 – St. Pierre vs. Condit in Las Vegas on October 29.

MM-eh broke the news earlier this week that Carmont had signed with the UFC and would appear on that card as a middleweight.

Hailing from France, Carmont moved to Montreal nine months ago as a legal resident of Canada, and is undergoing the process to attain Canadian citizenship.  He is now a full-fledged member of Tristar Gym alongside UFC welterweight champ Georges. St. Pierre.

Camozzi had previously been ejected from the UFC after his February loss to Kyle Noke, but after split-decision win over Joey Villasenor at Shark Fights in May it appears that he has gotten a second chance.

9/17/11 2:32 PM
Tom Lawlor
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a fan of this thread. and Canada.
9/17/11 8:32 PM
Robin Black
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're fans of Tom Lawlor too.

You dared to punch our beloved Doerksen in the face (and then took some swings at Pat Cote too!) but we forgive you cuz yer cool.
9/18/11 2:07 PM
moemar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this aint no ttt thread. Big Rig Phone Post
9/22/11 11:24 AM
Joe Doerksen
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Tom Lawlor fan. Except for the specific times when he's punching me in the face. For those brief moments, I reserve the right to not think he's super awesome.
10/31/11 7:26 PM
MM-eh

Mike Kent Suffers Multiple Concussions, Retirement Likely

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia’s Mike Kent (7-0) has suffered serious injuries over the past few weeks, and told MM-eh via text message today that he thinks that his fighting career is over.

“I’m in the hospital and on a lot of drugs.  I’ll probably be here for another week or two.  I have severe concussion symptoms and in the last four weeks have had three bad concussions.  I won’t be able to train or compete probably ever again.  I have bruising on the brain, some bleeding and severe eye problems.”

MM-eh also spoke with Kent’s fiancée, who was able to fill in a a few of the details.

READ REST OF STORY HERE

10/31/11 7:30 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's a tough article to read. hopes for a full recovery.
11/2/11 11:38 AM
Joe Doerksen

Best wishes to Kent. Tough situation.

Hope things work out for him.
11/4/11 5:30 AM
MM-eh

I'm sure he's thankful for your kind words guys.
11/4/11 5:32 AM
MM-eh

Photos: Derek Medler and Karel Bergen train for AFC 7

Check out this exclusive MM-eh photo-gallery of undefeated prospects Derek Medler (6-0) and Karel Bergen (4-0) as they trained earlier this week in preparation for their bouts at AFC 7 ‘Break Out’ this Saturday night at the Bear Mountain Arena in Victoria, British Columbia.

Former Toronto Argonaut Medler will be taking on Brian Grimshaw (6-1) and Bergen will be facing Mike Hill (4-0). Both Medler and Bergen are trained by Jason Heit at Victoria’s Island MMA.

Click on photo for gallery.

11/5/11 4:18 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 11/05/11 4:19 PM

AFC 7 Weigh-In Results and Photos

Derek Medler (left) vs. Brian Grimshaw

All fighters made weight for tonight’s Armageddon Fighting Championship 7, to be held in Victoria, BC’s Bear Mountain Arena.  Main eventers Derek Medler (6-0) and Brian Grimshaw (6-1) are both looking to use this fight as a way to establish themselves as top dog in the BC welterweight scene.

Grimshaw told MM-eh he knows that Medler is a good fighter, but thinks that he’s got what it takes to come out on top.

“Medler’s a good wrestler, decent counter-puncher, comes from a high level kickboxing gym, but I don’t think he really has enough tools to really offer me — but I don’t do MMA math.  I think I’m going to catch him in a sub pretty quick I think.  Either that or a decision.”

Click HERE for weigh-In Results and Photogallery

11/6/11 6:45 AM
MM-eh

AFC 7 Quick Results – Medler Subs Grimshaw in Main Event

Winner / Loser / Method / Round / Time

Professional

Derek Medler def. Brian Grimshaw / Submission – Guillotine Choke / R1 /

Karel Bergen def. Dave Logan / Submission – Kimura / R1 / 3:11

Peter Nolan def. Paul Cheng / Submission – Arm-Triangle Choke / R1 / 4:06

Nathan Swayze def. Brad Robinson / Unanimous Decision / R3 / 5:00

Matt Trudeau def. Tristan Connelly / TKO (Injury) / R1 / 5:00 / Connelly dislocated his shoulder and could not come out for round 2

Amateur

Shane Jung def. Tyler Dolby / Submission – Rear-Naked Choke / R1 / 2:19

Jean Marc de Groot def. James Pratt / Submission – Armbar / R2 / 0:50

Blake McVittie def. Craig McLean / Unanimous Decision / R3 / 5:00

Dustin Porter def. Sanjeev Sharma / Unanimous Decision / R3 / 5:00

Johnny Williams def. Guy Gauthier / Submission – Rear-Naked Choke / R3 / 1:10

Dillon Brown def. Ron Pierce / Unanimous Decision / R3 / 5:00

Ty Daggis def. Joel Conway / TKO (punches from mount) / R2 / 1:21

Join MM-eh! on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter (MMehAndy)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.