UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> The MM-eh News Thread

1/13/12 4:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Foos
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread! I'm not sure how I passed over this thread for so long.

MM-eh, you should make some of these articles their own threads. The canadian forum is pretty much dead, so filling it up with a few of your interesting articles would be a good thing
1/13/12 5:44 PM
MM-eh
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Foos, I appreciate it!

I would love to, but I've seen too many people get upset with numerous posts by the same people  I don't want to spam, but if enough people here think that's a good idea I might start.

What does everyone think?
1/13/12 5:45 PM
MM-eh
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOLLETT GETS OPPONENT FOR BELLATOR LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TOURNAMENT

Halifax’s Roger ‘The Hulk’ Hollett (13-3) was in Orlando, Florida today, where he was told that he would be facing Finland’s Marcus Vanttinen (21-3) in the first round of the Bellator Fighting Championships Light-Heavyweight tournament, believed to be set for March 2nd in an as yet unknown venue.

A member of Titans MMA, Hollett has spent his past three fight camps at Jackson’s MMA in Albuquerque, and is best known for the brutal knockout power that he possesses in both fists.  He earned his way into the tournament with a split decision win over John Hawk at Bellator 57 last November.

The 24-year-old Vanttinen has had all of his fights so far in Europe, and is considered to be one of that continent’s top prospects.

The winner of this fight will advance to the next round of the tournament.  No other participants are known at this time, but the winner of the tournament will get a chance to face the current Bellator champion Christian M’Pumbu for the title.

Like this article?  Please take a moment and share it using one of the convenient Social Media buttons at the top of the article (Facebook, Google +, and Twitter)  Please feel free to also leave a comment below!

1/13/12 6:19 PM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first I have heard of them doing a LHW tournament this season, but I like. 6 tournaments this season for Bellator!?!?!?! Hell yeah!
1/14/12 2:26 AM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/14/12 2:26 AM

SAM STOUT WILL HAVE THE COACH IN HIS HEART AT UFC 142

With 24 professional mixed martial arts fights and countless kickboxing fights under his belt, London, Ontario’s Sam ‘Hands of Stone’ Stout has been through pretty much everything a fighter can in the fight game.  But this weekend he’ll experience something new when he readies himself to fight for the first time ever without longtime coach Shawn Tompkins in his corner.

Tompkins passed away suddenly last August, and Stout says that preparing to fight Thiago Tavares atUFC 142 in Rio de Janeiro this weekend wasn’t easy without him.

“Right now I’m trying to get my bearings without Shawn in my corner.” He told MM-eh from from his home base in London’s Adrenalin Training Centre.

He added that even though Tompkins won’t be physically with him, he’s confident that the lessons learned from him will still guide him to victory.

“It’s definitely been an adjustment without him.  He’s been in my corner for every fight I’ve ever had back to my earliest kickboxing fights.  It’s definitely been an adjustment, but he gave me all of the tools to continue to be successful, it’s just a matter of implementing those tools myself and not waiting for him to tell me what to do.  I’ve got to look inside myself to figure that stuff out now.”

But he’s not by himself.  Alongside Mark Hominick, Chris Horodecki and Chris Clements, Stout is part of a tight-knit group who all started training with Tompkins when they were teenagers — and they have all been able to rely on each other during these tough months.

“We’re all really backing each other and leaning on each other, and that’s how we’ve been coping.” He said.  ”No person can replace what Shawn was to myself and everybody at Team Tompkins.  He was a mentor to us.  He was somebody we had a lot of trust in, which you can’t replace overnight.”

Stout doesn’t yet know the outcome of his bout with Tavares on Saturday, but he does know one thing for certain.

“Team Tompkins will never die.”

Like this article?  Please take a moment to visit MM-eh and share it using one of the convenient Social Media buttons at the top of the article (Facebook, Google +, and Twitter) Please feel free to also leave a comment below!

1/15/12 6:44 PM
MM-eh

END OF AN ERA – THE MFC MOVES FROM A RING TO A CAGE

It was with a heavy heart that Mark Pavelich made the decision to do something that he vowed he would never do.

With the ultimate goal of International expansion as well as solidifying his company’s brand, the President of the Edmonton-based Maximum Fighting Championship decided that now is the time for his company to stop using a ring, and to start using a cage.

“I’ve always been an advocate of having fights in a ring, but I really don’t have a choice any more.” He said to MM-eh.  ”There are places in the United States, and places in Canada that won’t allow a ring.”

The MFC has actually used a cage on one previous occasion when MFC 29 took place in Windsor, Ontario last April, and it was while reviewing tapes from the fight that moved Pavelich even closer to his decision.

“When I was watching some of my highlight reels and parts of it were in a ring, and parts of it were in a cage it was confusing — it doesn’t look like the same brand.  It looked like two different organizations, and I didn’t want that.”  Pavelich said.

So now the decision is made.  the last time that the Maximum Fighting Championship will be held inside a ring will be January 27 for MFC 32 – “Bitter Rivals.”

Pavelich has been adamant for years that he would never make this move, but now that it’s happened, he feels that it’s the right decision.

“I’m not as traumatized as I thought that I’d be.” He said.  ”But if we’re going to expand the brand of the Maximum Fighting Championship, nothing is going to compromise that, especially my ego.”

Like this article?  Please take a moment to visit MM-eh and share it using one of the convenient Social Media buttons at the top of the article (Facebook, Google +, and Twitter)  Please feel free to also leave a comment below!

1/15/12 7:01 PM
MM-eh

Tim Hague makes his pro boxing debut.
1/17/12 7:04 PM
MM-eh

MARCH UFC IN MONTREAL OFFICIALLY POSTPONED

Bad news for Montreal MMA fans today as the Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed that UFC 145 which had been scheduled for March 24 in the Bell Centre has officially been postponed.

According to a report from Canada’s premier MMA journalist ‘Showdown’ Joe Ferraro, UFC Canada Director of Operations Tom Wright stated that “scheduling concerns” were one of the issues, and that if the organization could not muster up a “championship level card”, it would not be fair to their loyal fans.

The report continued to say that the fighters scheduled for the Montreal card will likely be rescheduled for Saturday, April 21st, at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

MM-eh contacted several fighters who were to have been on the card, and they confirmed that the UFC had already contacted them to inform them of the news.

Like this article?  Please take a moment to visit MM-eh and share it using one of the convenient Social Media buttons at the top of the article (Facebook, Google +, and Twitter)  Please feel free to also leave a comment below!

1/17/12 7:05 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/17/12 7:05 PM
 Double Post
1/19/12 10:36 PM
MM-eh

VIDEO PLUS MORE – GSP TALKS ABOUT TIMELINE FOR RETURN TO THE OCTAGON

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre visited the set of HDNet’s ‘Inside MMA’ with hosts Bas Rutten and Kenny Rice recently, and the Montreal-based fighter disclosed that if all goes well he hopes to compete before 2012 is up.

GSP – “Hard training will be in July, and fighting again — for the timing to get back I would say the beginning of…in November. I can come back in November.”

Kenny Rice – “You think you’ll fight before this year is up?”

GSP – “Oh yeah, of course. I hope so. Please, give it to me…”

In an interview with Sherdog Radio, St-Pierre’s coach Firas Zahabi said that GSP will conduct his rehabilitation under the guidance of Gavin MacMillan, the founder and head trainer atSport Science Lab in San Juan Capistrano, California.

1/19/12 10:39 PM
MM-eh

JOHN ALESSIO TO TAKE ON RYAN HEALY AT SFS IN HAMILTON

Press Release

TORONTO, January 18th, 2012 – Score Media Inc. (TSX: SCR) today announces that The Score Fighting Series (SFS) will be returning to Hamilton, Ontario for another night of incredible MMA action on Friday, March 16th at the Hamilton Place Theatre.  A marquee match-up between John Alessio(33-14) and “Diamond” Ryan Healy (19-9-1) has been confirmed for the card.

Score Fighting Series veterans Rich ClementiJosh Hill,Alex RicciShane Campbell and Lyndon Whitlock are all slated to be in action.  Opponents for all of them are awaiting approval by the Ontario Athletic Commission and will be announced shortly.

Alessio is a Vancouver native and trains out of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas.  Nicknamed “The Natural”, he has competed in the WEC, UFC and PRIDE with 10 of his 33 career victories coming by KO and 15 via submission.  He recently dropped to the lightweight division where he scored a win over Luiz Firmino in November.

Healy is a WEC veteran and a member of Team Quest where he trains with MMA legend Matt Lindland and UFC star Chael Sonnen.  Like his twin brother and fellow scrapper Pat, Healy has a dominant ground game but prefers to use utilize his wrestling to keep the fight standing.

The match-up was originally supposed to take place in December but was postponed when Healy suffered an injury during training.  Alessio has been vocal in praising his opponent and looks forward to fighting again in Canada.  ”Ryan is a tough guy with good boxing skills and he’s well conditioned with no quit,” says Alessio.  “This is a great fight for me to showcase all my skills, I feel like I’m better everywhere and I’m coming to finish!”

Tickets, priced from $30, go on sale on Tuesday, January 24th at the Copps Coliseum box office and online at www.ticketmaster.ca

1/19/12 10:40 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/19/12 10:40 PM

BC’S GARY MANGAT APPEARS IN MUSIC VIDEO FOR A-SLAM

There have been a lot of changes in BC fighterGurdarshan (Gary) ‘Saint Lion’ Mangat’s life lately.  First, the Sikh fighter committed to traveling thousands of miles to Montreal to train with the famed Tristar MMA, and now, he has spent some of his spare time to appear in a music video, working out to ”Back Down” by hip-hop group A-SLAM.

Mangat is set to fight Dan Lin at Battlefield Fight League 13, in Vernon, BC on February 11.

1/19/12 10:47 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/19/12 10:48 PM

THE ‘BOSNIAN BAD BOY’ ADVIN OMIC READY FOR SOME HARD KNOCKS IN CALGARY

In the three and a half years that he’s been a fighter, Red Deer, Alberta’s Advin Omic has had twelve professional fights, but if you ask him…that’s not nearly enough.

Going into Friday’s main-event bout against Paapa Inkumusah at School of Hard Knocks 19 in Calgary, Omic told MM-eh that he’d like to have at least twenty more fights in the next two years.

“I think the more time you spend in the cage the better — the more time you spend in there sweating and being tired, the more time you learn to pace yourself or how to explode in certain positions the better it is for you.”

Fighting out of Arashi Do in Red Deer, the ‘Bosnian Bad Boy’ knows that he is a skilled mixed martial artist, but also knows that he wants to hone his skills in combat and not just in training.

Born in Bosnia, Omic came to Canada at 7-years-old, and didn’t start training in mixed martial arts until he was 21.  For a time he was a member of UFC competitor Jason MacDonald‘s Pure Fitness, but when that closed down he and teammates such as Ryan Machan and Evan Sanguin made the move to Arashi Do.

The 25-year-old Omic said that although he knows he’ll eventually be at a level where he can compete the best fighters in the world someday, he’s not in a rush to get there sooner than he should.

“I’ll make some waves in the next year or so, but I’m not really interested in the attention right now.  I just want to get really good at this sport before I get any attention.”

According to Omic, he feels that his well-roundedness as a fighter is his biggest strength.

1/19/12 10:49 PM
MM-eh

“When I first started in this sport my only strength was that I was scrappy,” He laughed.  ”But truthfully speaking I think that now my strongest ability is the fact that I’m pretty good in every aspect of MMA.  I’ve got a very good top game, wrestling — I can pretty much take anybody down that I want to take down.”

But even well rounded fighters usually have someplace where they feel the most comfortable, and for Omic, it’s on the ground.

“My jiu jitsu off my back I feel is the strongest part of my game, but I hardly ever get to show it.  I’m tall and lanky and I’ve got great kicks and my hands are coming along every day.”

As for Inkumusah, he said that he has seen him fight several times, and was excited when he was offered  him as an opponent.

“I’m impressed with the fight actually — I think it’ll be a really good fight.”
1/19/12 10:51 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/19/12 10:51 PM

HOMINICK FIRST FIGHTER OFFICIAL FOR NEW UFC 145

Many were surprised earlier this week, when it was reported that the UFC 145 card scheduled for Montreal on March 24 was cancelled due to the organization being unable to muster up a “championship level card.”

Fighters were told that they would be added to coming UFC cards, and London, Ontario’s Mark Hominick is the first to get the call.  He will still be fighting original opponent Eddie Yagin, this time at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

No news yet if the other Canadians who were to have been on the Montreal card will also be added to Atlanta.  Four other Canadians were to have been on that card, including Rory MacdonaldMark Bocek,John Makdessi, and newcomer Chris Clements.

For a look at the UFC 145 card that was to have taken place in Montreal to get an idea of what fights may appear in Atlanta, click HERE.

Like this article?  Please take a moment and share it using one of the convenient Social Media buttons at the top of the article (Facebook, Google +, and Twitter)  Please feel free to also leave a comment below!

1/19/12 10:52 PM
MM-eh

TRISTAR’S NORDINE TALEB SIGNS WITH BELLATOR

A report from the Canadian Press states that Tristar Gym prospect Nordine Taleb has signed with the Bellator Fighting Championship.

Although the report calls Taleb a Canadian, he is actually a native of France, who decided to make the move to Montreal several years ago so that he could train with some of the outstanding fighters that Tristar has to offer, such as the UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, and wunderkind Rory Macdonald.

As reported by MM-eh several days ago, Taleb and John Makdessi are currently training in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the famed Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA.

1/21/12 8:43 PM
MM-eh

VIDEO: BATTLEFIELD FIGHT LEAGUE 13 PROMO – MANGAT VS. LIN

Gurdarshan (Gary) Mangat and Dan Lin at Battlefield Fight League 13 in Vernon, B.C. on February 11. 
1/21/12 8:44 PM
MM-eh

MORE CANADIANS FROM CANCELLED MONTREAL CARD JOIN HOMINICK AT UFC 145

Yesterday MM-eh reported that  London, Ontario’s Mark Hominick was the first fighter added to UFC 145 in Atlanta, Georgia, after it had been rescheduled from March 24 in Montreal.

At that time it was unclear if the remainder of the scheduled Montreal fights would also be appearing in Atlanta, but today the Ultimate Fighting Championship made it official.

Joining Hominick in Atlanta will be John MakdessiMark BocekRory MacDonald, and UFC newcomer Chris Clements.

The UFC says that a main event will be announced in the upcoming weeks, but for a look at the card as it stands now, click HERE.

1/21/12 8:45 PM
MM-eh

DENIS GETS KO OF THE NIGHT BONUS AT UFC ON FX 1

Nick ‘The Ninja of Love’ Denis made a spectacular debut in the Ultimate Fighting Championship on FX 1last night, knocking out Joseph Sandoval in just 22 seconds.

Denis came out from the opening bell like a demon, throwing crisp and accurate combinations.  Once he got in close to Sandoval, he immobilized his head by grabbing the back of his neck with a half collar choke, and delivered three or four crushing elbows to the side of his head, dropping him immediately.

Denis, who trains out of Ronin MMA in Ottawa and Tristar in Montreal, earned a $45,000 USD bonus for Knock Out of the night.

1/21/12 8:46 PM
MM-eh

WAGNNEY FABIANO ADDED TO BELLATOR FEATHERWEIGHT TOURNEY

Former IFL Featherweight champion Wagnney Fabiano has been selected by the Bellator Fighting Championship to participate in their upcoming Featherweight Tournament.

A native of Brazil, Fabiano has deep ties to Canada and has lived in Toronto for several years.  He is joining Canadian Roger Hollett, who MM-eh reported last week will be facing Marcus Vanttinen on the same night in the opening round of the Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament.

In the opening round Fabiano will be squaring off with Ronnie Mann (21-4-1), a fighter who may have been born and lives in England, but is a member of London, Ontario’s Team Tompkins.

While this may be Fabiano’s first foray in Bellator, Mann is 3-1 in the promotion, his last fight a triangle choke submission victory over Kenny Foster in October.

To see the full fight card, including the other bouts in the Featherweight Tournament, click HERE.

Bellator will be on MTV2, and the prelims will stream free on Spike.com

1/22/12 1:29 PM
MM-eh

MM-EH ON TSN RADIO IN MONTREAL

Yesterday morning I had the pleasure of joining friends of MM-eh Gary Whittaker and Nick Murdocco, on their extremely popular radio show‘The Franchise’ in Montreal.  As part of the TSN Radio Network, the dynamic duo speak primarily on the Montreal Canadiens, but they have a little gem of a segment about Mixed Martial Arts called ‘The Weigh In.’

On the show our main topic was the previous night’s UFC on FX 1: Guillard vs. Miller, where amongst other things we discussed the spectacular debut performance of Canadian Nick ‘The Ninja of Love’ Denis, who won his fight with Joseph Sandoval in brutal fashion.

We also talked about Tristar Gym’s Nordine Taleb, who readers of MM-eh will remember was signed to the Bellator Fighting Championship last week.

To listen to our discussion click HERE

1/25/12 5:59 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/25/12 5:59 PM
 GAGNON CONFIDENT GOING INTO UFC DEBUT

When viewers of the Ultimate Fighting Championship hear the name Michel (Mitch) Gagnon announced prior to him entering the United Center this Saturday night in Chicago, you couldn’t blame them if they assumed that he  is the latest of a long line of Quebecois fighters making their way into the Octagon for the first time.

But in this case they’d be wrong. The 27-year-old mixed martial artist hails from the Northern Ontario city of Sudbury, where the population is roughly 50/50 between French and English.

Gagnon has done well for himself, especially considering that he and his Team Shredder teammates only recently moved from the 40×40 foot garage where they trained into a new 7,000 sq ft facility.

He is the current Ringside MMA Featherweight Champion with a record of 8-1, and this weekend he’ll realize his dream of fighting in the UFC, when he takes on Johnny Bedford at UFC on FX 2: Evans vs. Davis.

“The phone call came as a big surprise.” He told MM-eh from his home in Sudbury. “I knew they were considering me, but I didn’t know how seriously until I got the phone call.  It was just a very very big surprise, especially just after Christmas.”

Gagnon says that he knows the exact moment when he decided that he was skilled enough to compete in the UFC, the world’s most popular mixed martial arts organization.

“When I won my title at Ringside I thought I was ready to make the move, and my win against David ‘Bo’ Harris is really what turned the tide and gave me confidence.”

So now he’ll be fighting Bedford, a native of Texas and recent participant of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ television series, although Gagnon admits that he didn’t watch it when it first came out.

“I didn’t watch the TV show,” He explained. “But did watch his fights. From what I’ve seen he likes to bully his opponents and bring them down to the ground. I don’t feel that he feels too comfortable striking, even though he’s a tall, tall person. He gets pretty wild at times and that’s how he got caught against Dodson.”

Standing 5″6′, Gagnon will be four inches shorter than his American opponent, and according to him that’s just fine.

“I totally feel comfortable, especially at bantamweight — I find the taller you are you won’t have that strength to dictate the fight as much, and that’s where I was able to win my fights. I was the one dictating the fight and pushing them back into a corner where they had to do something and that’s where I caught them.”

Gagnon also knows that Beford will have a tough time being able to acquire fight footage of him, and with 100% of his wins coming by way of submission, that should play out in his favour.

“I think he will not respect my stand up game just because of my record.” He explained. “I think that he thinks I’ll go for the take down right away, and I think that’s where I’ll catch him.”

Gagnon has some big 4 oz. gloves to follow, as fellow Canadian Nick Denis emerged from his UFC debut just last week at UFC on FX 1: Guillard vs. Miller, with a $45,000 ‘KO of the Night’ bonus for his spectacular elbow knockout of Joseph Sandoval.

Gagnon mentions that KO with a mixture of pride and envy.

“What a beast!” He exclaimed.  ”People will remember that KO for a long time, and that’s what you want to do — you want to get those fights and get on those main cards the faster the better.  I think if Denis pulls another big win like that we’ll be seeing him on maincards sooner than later.”

This weekend Gagnon wants to leave fans with and emphatic finish of his own to remember him by.

“I said from the beginning that I want people to say “Whoa” when they see me fight. I want a fast paced fight and put it all on the line.  I want people to notice me. I’m not there to just lay and pray to secure a “W”. I want to excite the fans.”

1/25/12 6:01 PM
MM-eh

1/25/12 6:01 PM
MM-eh

Edited: 01/25/12 6:01 PM

GAGNON TALKS ABOUT REMOVAL FROM UFC ON FX 2 DUE TO VISA ISSUES

Sudbury’s Michel (Mitch) Gagnon was at the the border between Canada and the United States this morning, only to find out that the Visa he had applied for had not yet been processed, therefore preventing the Ringside MMA Featherweight Champion from proceeding to his planned bout against Johnny Bedford at Saturday night’s UFC on FX 2: Evans vs. Davis.

MM-eh knows that Gagnon’s UFC contract was signed on December 29, and Visas typically take 30-45 days to be processed.  The first working day of 2012 was January 2nd, so even if the VISA was applied for on that date, it was still going to cut it close for his fight date of January 28.

Gagnon told MM-eh that although he is disappointed, the UFC has been very supportive and has promised to get him on to another card very quickly.

“My emotions are up and down.” Gagnon told MM-eh.  ”I’m happy the UFC is working on getting me on a card as quick as possible.  Maybe even a Canadian card?  That would be sweet.”

1/27/12 9:48 AM
MM-eh

JASON MACDONALD RETURNING TO THE OCTAGON AGAINST TOM LAWLOR IN MAY

Jason ‘The Athlete’ MacDonald will be making his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship Octagon in May, according to UFC Canada’s Twitter account.

When the Red Deer, Alberta based MacDonald appears in May, it will have been eight months since his last UFC outing, a loss to Alan Belcher at UFC Fight Night 25.

Lawlor is coming off of a loss as well, as he fell to Chris Weidman in November.

The UFC has not yet officially announced an event for that date, so it’s unclear whether this event will be shown on Fox (Sportsnet in Canada), or will be a Pay-Per-View.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.