UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Last sunday

5/20/11 11:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On Sunday mornings our church community goes to the local park where we eat breakfast with our friends that live there. One of the regulars is quite a character. He is very quick witted and funny. Alwys has a joke and is so quick with a thank you. Unfortunately he is also a raging drunk seemingly bent on self distruction. He often smells of urine or worse. But we love him.

We usually meet around the picnic tables but on rainy days we meet under the shelter of the outdoor stage. These mornings are often the best as it forces us to be closer with one another.

Last Sunday was such a morning. It poured rain for an hour or so and we brought the burritos and hashbrowns up to the stage. As we talked and shared coffee I heard the same stories as most Sunday's. No work, waiting in the parking lot at home depot, applying for dishwasher jobs, getting hassled by the cops for the crime of not havine a home. But no dave

After about a half an hour, we see Dave's stiff walk the result of a broken back and a few titanium screws. As he got closer we see he is soaking wet. He got caught sleeping in the alley when the rain came.

Well we needed to get dave some dry clothes. Nani one of the girls in our community immediately offered her hoody. I was going to run to the store and buy a pair of pants when one of the guys who is living in his car called me to wait and he ran and got Dave a pair of dry pants and socks. The wonderful scene showed those with almost nothing parting with what they do have to help a man that doesn't deserve it. And I must tell you the Spirit of God was there

After Dave changed I hugged him looked into his eyes and told him I loved him. I saw Jesus there he was hidden as he usually is, in the most unlikely place...

Where he said he would be.

Rev
5/20/11 12:28 PM
gord96
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/11 12:47 PM
reverend john - The wonderful scene showed those with almost nothing parting with what they do have to help a man that doesn't deserve it.

41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Thanks for sharing Rev. As soon as I read the part about the guy getting stuff from his car i thought of this passage.
5/21/11 6:13 AM
jimmy23
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:)
5/21/11 2:41 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reading stuff like this reminds me of how we all as Christians need to do more and demonstrate more of his love. im such a thoughtless person, lol.

thanks for sharing bro
5/22/11 11:11 AM
Lahi
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
5/22/11 12:50 PM
inlikeflynn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - 
reverend john - The wonderful scene showed those with almost nothing parting with what they do have to help a man that doesn't deserve it.

41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Thanks for sharing Rev. As soon as I read the part about the guy getting stuff from his car i thought of this passage.

My wife teaches in poor district. She always comments about how generous many of them are with what little they have. I think it just goes to show that the more you have, the more attached you become to it.
5/22/11 5:17 PM
TartanTerrorUK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really appreciate you sharing this story. Has made my day. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.