UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Just made a peach wine batch

5/21/11 4:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/11 4:40 PM

I thought I'd take some pictures to share with you guys, and I did, but I realized that there aren't a lot of ways to "capture" the wine making process. It doesn't lend itself to a picture documentary. But here are a couple.

Start with a gallon of water. Boil half of it and add about 2.25 pounds of sugar.

Get all of your ingredients together. Here I have a 2 gallon primary fermenter, nylon straining bag, acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, sugar, yeast (Montrachet Champagne yeast), campden tablets, and sodium bisulfate for cleaning/disinfecting. And the peaches.

You wanna make sure the peaches are as ripe as can be. These particular peaches were bought at a local fruit stand so they don't have that commercial look.

Wash the peaches well and cut the pit out of them and just throw them in the bag. It's gonna be about 3 pounds of peaches when done.

Once all the peaches are in the bag and you've cut out the bruises (you can leave the skin in there) just start mashing it up with your hand. It gets all gloppy. Try to break up the chunks as much as possible.

Now the water and sugar combo have boiled. You add that to the bucket. You have the other half of the gallon off to the side (the colder the better). Add that to the boiling water/sugar/peach combo. This will bring the temperature down quickly. That's important for some reason but I don't know why.

Add the tannin, acid blend, yeast nutrient, and campden tablet. Put a lid on it and a bung. Let it sit for 12 hours and add the pectic enzyme. Get the specific gravity at this point and write it down. In another 24 hours add the yeast.

5/22/11 1:24 PM
cycklops
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great job cycklops
5/23/11 2:27 PM
cycklops

I made a blackberry about a year ago and each bottle I drink at this point is a little smoother than the last. Tastes like a cheap wine from the grocery store really, imo. I would buy a 10 dollar bottle of Pinot Noir at the store and it's tons better than what I made. I guess it's just the fact that I made it.

If you wanna sink the money into it you can refine the tastes and what not, I'm just not interested in putting that much money into it.

We cracked a gallone a couple weeks ago and a friend really liked it. I got a text the next morning, "toilet wine fucked me up."

You can control the alcohol content for the most part. It typically comes out around 4-10% depending.
5/25/11 5:36 AM
cycklops

I don't even know to be honest. I think I just like doing it. People are generally intrigued by it. Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily the greatest shit ever but I do enjoy it for some reason. Also, you can get better at it. The more batches you do the more you learn. You learn to problem solve.

For example, this particular batch. I made it 3 days ago. I've stirred it once a day. It hasn't started fermenting yet. There could be several reasons. I don't think I added enough sugar to begin with and I may have steeped the yeast at too high a temperature. I also may have added the yeast and the temperature of the must was too cool to kick the yeast into action. I have no idea.

So I did some reading and asked some questions. Today I added another half cup of sugar (still probably not enough) and added some yeast nutrient. I just got home from work and I was thinking I was gonna have to add more sugar and actual yeast tomorrow. When I looked at the fermenter it had started bubbling.

I'm also going to do some other flavors, like a carrot, or a mint, or even a mead next. I honestly can't say what the draw is. I guess it's just something I like tinkering with. Then when it's done I get drunk.
5/25/11 6:03 PM
cycklops

I just added 2 more cups of sugar. Hopefully the alcohol content goes up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.