UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> first time shopping for a gi, what should i get?

5/23/11 3:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
poolparty
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm having a difficult time finding a gi. I tried to pick apart this forum but it isn't helping. Joker Jiu Jitsu reviews are helpful but it's an information overload that doesn't help me make a decision. So if anyone has any info to help me make a decision I would appreciate it.

5'11" 180 I would prefer to spend under $125.

I'm looking for something to train in that isn't too thick or rough.
5/23/11 3:27 AM
checkuroil
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there something I should know ;). Phone Post
5/23/11 3:58 AM
LetsTalkItOut
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you live anywhere near Budivideos, jiujitsu pro gear(Lawndale), NA fight shop(Torrance), or OTM then go there and check out the gis first hand. You see a lot of post on this and that but you can get all the info you need by just stopping by one of those stores and asking away.

I'd recommend a Fuji for a $80 gi that is solid, they're available at jiujitsu pro gear. Or go to NA fight shop and pick up a break point ultra light standard for $90. Koral, Vulkan, Keiko, Fuji, and JJPG brands at jjpg. Atama, BreakPoint, Gameness, Koral, Vulkan, HCK brands at NAFS.

I suggest go to a store, tell them your price point and see what they offer. Then from there choose which one you like.
5/23/11 4:17 AM
poolparty

Edited: 05/23/11 4:24 AM
checkuroil, i've been thinking about trying both for a bit. no plans of changing anything.
5/23/11 5:09 AM
Anthony
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't go wrong with Fuji and Padilla and Sons for overall cost, fit, and durability.
5/23/11 8:17 AM
Tyler Bishop
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subculture makes some the highest quality gi's I've seen for a little less than what you are wanting to spend.

http://www.subcultureusa.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SubCulture-USA/150002744542?sk=app_135607783795

Their website does not have all their gear up, but depending on the type of gi you want they make a strong durable gi and a lightweight gi. Both are the same quality as gi's that are selling for 160+
5/23/11 8:43 AM
allchokedup
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have owned 2 gamness gis. i have had the feather for about a year and thats pretty much the only gi i roll in. 3-4 times a week. its light weight it dries fast and it fits good. paid 125 for a black one shipped.
5/23/11 9:33 AM
mikecimm
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tyler Bishop - Subculture makes some the highest quality gi's I've seen for a little less than what you are wanting to spend.

www.subcultureusa.com/
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SubCulture-USA/150002744542

Their website does not have all their gear up, but depending on the type of gi you want they make a strong durable gi and a lightweight gi. Both are the same quality as gi's that are selling for 160+
This!

the gold weaves are perfect for an everyday training gi.
5/23/11 9:56 AM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuji great price good product
5/23/11 10:06 AM
BjjGearJunkie
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out my youtube channel. I'll be launching my website focused on Bjj gear reviews later this month hopefully. I started the project because like you, I was finding it hard to get good info on the web and didn't have access to a location where I could try them on first hand.

I also recommend the Fugi. I'll be doing a review on it very shortly.

Also a bit up in price, but good for taller guys is the Keico Raca.
5/23/11 10:30 AM
Dokkalfar
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/11 10:30 AM
Aww shit son, you just missed the Shoyoroll pre-order, just hold off until the next batch before you trane

but in all seriousness, get a howard single.
5/23/11 2:50 PM
Missing Glove Tape

HCK standard single ftw.

Also can't go wrong with a Fuji.
5/23/11 2:54 PM
mikehotel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@BJJ Gear it's Keico Haca
5/23/11 3:00 PM
BjjGearJunkie

Thanks Mikehotel. I was wondering that before I recorded the video, but I had never heard anyone say it. I knew I had a 50/50 chance haha.
5/23/11 4:05 PM
poolparty

thanks for the info everybody
5/23/11 4:57 PM
emotion #13
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GET A GROUND CONTROL GI. GOOD QUALITY FOR LITTLE MONEY.

OR

YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH A HOWARD STANDARD SINGLE FOR $115. BUILT LIKE A TANK. $10 MORE AND GET THE COMP LITE. THAT WILL BE MY NEXT GI. EVEN THOUGH HOWARD CAN BE A DICK ONLINE.

SORRY CAPS LOCK IS ON FOR JOB IM DOING. CAN'T REMOVE.
5/23/11 4:57 PM
emotion #13

GET A GROUND CONTROL GI. GOOD QUALITY FOR LITTLE MONEY.

OR

YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH A HOWARD STANDARD SINGLE FOR $115. BUILT LIKE A TANK. $10 MORE AND GET THE COMP LITE. THAT WILL BE MY NEXT GI. EVEN THOUGH HOWARD CAN BE A DICK ONLINE.

SORRY CAPS LOCK IS ON FOR JOB IM DOING. CAN'T REMOVE.
5/23/11 5:43 PM
emotion #13

ALSO IM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THESE FUJI GI'S ALOT OF PEOPLE WEAR AT MY GYM. SHITTY NAME BUT DAMN THAT GI IS REAL NICE FOR $75. GREAT COLLAR TOO
5/23/11 5:43 PM
emotion #13

ALSO IM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THESE FUJI GI'S ALOT OF PEOPLE WEAR AT MY GYM. SHITTY NAME BUT DAMN THAT GI IS REAL NICE FOR $75. GREAT COLLAR TOO
5/23/11 6:03 PM
Missing Glove Tape

^It's b/c Fuji has been making judogis forever, thus they know a thing or two about a thing or two.

I could do without the gawdy embroidery, but other than being careful re: drying/shrinkage, the Fuji single is very nearly the best value in gi-dom now that the HCK unbleached single has gone up in price.

But lol/wtf @

emotion #13 - EVEN THOUGH HOWARD CAN BE A DICK ONLINE.

Care to put that statement in context?
5/23/11 6:30 PM
Imentiu

I use Fushida GI's and highly recommend you check them out. The owner will help you choose the right fit based on your measurements and they have a whole bunch of unusual sizes. My GI's have lasted very well through tough sessions. Phone Post
5/23/11 6:43 PM
emotion #13

Missing - he has a tendancy to start threads on various forums and ignore users when they ask questions. He also took me saying something that was not offensive at all VERY offensive and got his panties all in a bunch here on the forum about a month ago.

No biggie. I like his gi's and will be buying one soon. I don't have to like the guy on a personal level.
5/23/11 6:43 PM
emotion #13

Missing - he has a tendancy to start threads on various forums and ignore users when they ask questions. He also took me saying something that was not offensive at all VERY offensive and got his panties all in a bunch here on the forum about a month ago.

No biggie. I like his gi's and will be buying one soon. I don't have to like the guy on a personal level.
5/23/11 6:50 PM
Missing Glove Tape

emotion #13 -  Missing - he has a tendancy to start threads on various forums and ignore users when they ask questions. He also took me saying something that was not offensive at all VERY offensive and got his panties all in a bunch here on the forum about a month ago.

Didn't mean for it to sound like I was starting shit. It's just that I've never known Howard to be anything but nice, on the phone or the rare times he posts on the forums.

Hell, even the (joke) thread I made mourning the price of the unbleached singles...that could easily have been taken the wrong way...he took the time to post/discuss things in similar fashion(nice).

Mileages do vary, I suppose.
5/23/11 7:04 PM
emotion #13

I gotta admi he took me by surprise. I have been plugging his gi's for about 10yrs now, never had correspondence with him. Messaged him to ask about if he had any deals going on, he took it to mean "he should give me a deal because i was a mod". I DID NOT.

Anyway he flamed me and became fairly unfriendly. 

i agree with you it's very sad to see his Gi's took such a jump in price. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.