UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> professional at home animation studio like DC?

5/23/11 2:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AZ Combat Sports
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what would a company need to make there own animation studio?How much Capital? could it be done for $60,000. My partner and I have no experience, no artistic talents or computer knowledge but we have some money and great fantasy concepts. We are very serious about this any help would be great.
Trevor Lally.
5/23/11 2:39 PM
AZ Combat Sports

what would a company need to make there own animation studio?How much Capital? could it be done for $60,000. My partner and I have no experience, no artistic talents or computer knowledge but we have some money and great fantasy concepts. We are very serious about this any help would be great.
Trevor Lally.
6/13/11 3:52 PM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. this subforum is effectively dead.

2. If you have no experience, no talent & no knowledge of the tools, why the fuck? I mean really.

3. You'll probably need:

-a modern Mac
-Photoshop (for editing pics)
-Illustrator (for creating artwork from scratch)
-Motion or AfterEffects (for basic video animation)
-Avid or FinalCutPro (for editing video)
-Quicktime Pro or Compressor (for handling different video standards)
-DVD Studio Pro (for DVD authoring)
-ProTools (for advanced audio editing/recording)

(Most of the above software currently available as a package from FinalCut)

-additional tools like video cameras for shooting & importing, bulk DVD burner, a Wacom pad for drawing, a nice high end video card with multiple monitors, a healthy RAID array for file storage, comfortable workstation, etc. Obviously the sky's the limit on that kind of stuff; pro cameras start in the $3K range & go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars not including speciality lenses. Motion capture hardware & software is well outside your stated range.

Basically your average video editing station is in the neighborhood of 5-15K, Avid stuff can easily be again several times your stated budget.

& a half-decent graphic artist you're going to need to pay 40K plus per year.

Alternately you can get or make a light box/trace table & do it the old school way for next to nothing; good fucking luck with that:

https://www.buz-line.com/showcategory.aspx?CategoryID=248&SEName=light-boxes
10/22/11 6:40 PM
Radford Martel

Good luck

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.