UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Unfair Collections

5/23/11 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soldia
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My father donated a car last year to a reputable charity in Oregon. He had to hand over his title, they said they would take care of the rest.

Well the charity sold the car to a new owner. While in the new owners possession the car was impounded. The new owner never claimed the car, and so it was sent to collections for the impound lot fee. I guess the DMV still had my father's name on the record. Somehow the charity didn't change the title over.

Now the collections agency is coming after my father. Completely unfair. The collection agency doesn't seem to care that he donated the car, saying its still his responsibility because his name was on the record and that he should have changed the title over. But he couldn't change the title over because he gave the title to the charity after signing off on it, nor does he even know who the new owner was to change it over to. Nor does the donater of the car ever do any title changes himself anyway.

I called the charity and sent them e-mails but they don't seem all that willing to help.

What's the best course of action here?
5/23/11 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trust
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does he have a receipt for the donation, and what was the approximate value if so? 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.