UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Elbow tendonitis injury will just not go away.

5/24/11 7:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dashooter911
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys about a year ago I was taking a BJJ class near my home and basically got arm-barred really bad and did not tap in time, hyperextending my elbow. Ever since then the injury has not healed and Ive had really bad medial epicondylitis a.k.a golfers elbow because of it. I went to a Sports doctor for some help and she assigned physical therapy for it. Well, I did that for about 5 months and there was some success, but once we tried to do more extreme exercises like push-ups, it got worse all over again. Cortisone shots do not work either.

Golfer's Elbow bands do not help it, Im at wit end for a fix for this. Its extremely painful. It hurts in almost everything I do, is there any suggestion you guys can give me on what I should do? Anybody have a similar injury from training?
5/25/11 5:57 PM
Dashooter911

jeez nobody?
5/29/11 11:06 PM
MillhouseMMA
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice and rest really is the only thing for tendonitis.
5/30/11 4:47 PM
Dashooter911

k man thanks I'll try it. I havent really iced it much honestly.
6/16/11 2:13 PM
Coffeeinfusion

Tendinitis is brutal but generally it's cyclical, so in my case it will subside with long periods of rest, and flare up under heavy exercise. Have it in both elbows and when it hits, the pain and weakness is debilitating. As others said, ice. Not a cure, but it sure helps to some degree. I have multiple joint/tendon/ligament/nerve issues so I've been using nylon harnesses with pockets for gel ice packs. I have a bilateral shoulder harness and two elbow packs. The gel ice packs are superior because they form to your contours providing you constant contact.

If you try to catch Joe Rogan's interview with Bas Rutten, Bas talks about his battle with severe tendinitis. You're not alone.
8/1/11 2:22 PM
BshMstr
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/01/11 2:22 PM
i assume you're already doing this, but if not, do you take fish oil? not a magic fix, but it can help lower overall levels of inflamation (among other things)....
8/17/11 11:15 PM
SpartanburgAthleticClub

Spartanburg Athletic Club
 I had terrible persistent tendinitis/tendinosis on my inner elbow(medial epicondylitis or golfer's elbow) for over a year and the only thing that helped me was doing slow negative wrist curls with dumbbells.  I use a 20lb dumbbell and do 4 sets of 8-12 reps of wrist curls making sure to really focus on the eccentric part of the lift and lower the weight sloooooooowly for each rep.  I usually do this 3x/week at the end of a workout.  Do a search for medial epicondylitis and eccentric exercises to read up on it.  Nitric oxide patches are supposed to help tendon healing too, but you need a prescription for those.

Rest, stretching, massage, ice, heat, etc. did nothing for me.  At one point I even took 6 weeks completely off for upper body and did NOTHING with my arm, and my elbow ended up feeling worse than before the rest period.  Only after doing eccentric wrist curls did I notice an improvement.  Now(knock on wood), I am mostly pain free.
2/4/12 4:49 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are now doing adult stem cell injections to regenerate damage cartilage and ligaments...Not sure if they're doing it for tendons, but I don't see why not...The stem celss are harvested from your own fat...but it is expensive.
2/5/12 3:33 PM
diarlo
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dashooter911 - Hey guys about a year ago I was taking a BJJ class near my home and basically got arm-barred really bad and did not tap in time, hyperextending my elbow. Ever since then the injury has not healed and Ive had really bad medial epicondylitis a.k.a golfers elbow because of it. I went to a Sports doctor for some help and she assigned physical therapy for it. Well, I did that for about 5 months and there was some success, but once we tried to do more extreme exercises like push-ups, it got worse all over again. Cortisone shots do not work either.

Golfer's Elbow bands do not help it, Im at wit end for a fix for this. Its extremely painful. It hurts in almost everything I do, is there any suggestion you guys can give me on what I should do? Anybody have a similar injury from training?

I have it bad on and off in both of my elbows. It has gotten so bad in the past that it almost crippled me to shake someones hand. I tried exercises, rest, cortisone shots, prescription anti-inflammatories....you name it. Finally I tried acupuncture. The first 6 times I went, I thought it was fucking hokey and not working. The acupuncturist told me to stick with it and I did. After about the 8th session I noticed considerable improvement in my elbows. It was the only thing that has worked at all for me. Worth trying.
2/18/12 11:26 PM
Popolop
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To get rid of tendinitis you need to do 2 things: get rid of the inflammation by icing for 15 minutes on the elbow at a time and do it frequently, and begin exercises to restore normal range of motion of pronation, supination, wrist flexion, and wrist extension. To see effective results, you should be icing several times a day and ideally find a way to do range of motion exercises as much as possible. Most importantly, stick with it. When you do stretching, make sure you are warmed up. For tape jobs, you could try using power flex about the width of 2 fingers below the elbow, when you put it on, make sure your elbow is flexed to 90 degrees. Go around a couple times and just make sure it is not too tight. Hope some of this helped
2/26/12 10:45 AM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go get a shot, I wish I'd have done it faster. I had horrible tendonitis from my job - bad enough my doctor ordered a MRI to make sure something wasnt torn.

Did everything, used the brace, phys. therapy, stem, ion to,  RICE.

Went and got the shot and it gradually went away - This was 2 years ago. Go go Sports medicine
2/27/12 6:56 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ I'm sorry, I had tennis elbow. Get a cortisone shot, it fixed me right up. Even if it doesnt at least you tried.
7/1/12 2:15 AM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been doing more research on how they are harvesting ADULT stem cells...right from the patients very own fat cells...and using them to repair ALL kinds of soft tissue, inclusing tendons and ligaments.

Apparently the stem cells, when injected, are drawn to inflammation...Once thwere they actually remodel themselves after whatever cell is there = NEW TENDON TISSUE

This has been done successfully w/ race horses that had damaged tendons...Now they are doing it w/ people...but it's pricey.
7/16/12 6:26 PM
raoulDuke

have been dealing with this pretty intensely the last couple years..sometimes was so bad id be doubled over and near vomiting..definitely the worst chronic type pain i have ever experienced in my life. the only thing that helped me was some overpriced deep tissue tendon massage done by chiros. its called ART i think, active release technique...for me, it was the only thing that helped, besides rest and stretching of course
7/19/12 9:34 PM
mr biggelsworth

I took a year off bjj and was lifting weights 3-4 times a week and would train back once a week and have a day strictly for pullups another day and got to where I could do 27 pullups. My goal was to hit 30. Then I added 2 days a week of bjj and cut down to doing back/biceps/pullups once a week.

One day drilling armbars my arms got stretched a little and we rolled for 2 hours. Ever since this practice about a year ago I have battled bicep tendonitis, I've taken a month off 3 times this year and its back again after rolling only 2x a week and lifting weights (chest and legs only) 2x a week.

Only thing that has helped has been icing it HARD, smashing the ice cube on it and rubbing the ice on my arms for 15 min about 2x a day along with aleve/ibuprofin.

Some people say ultrasounds relax and lower inflammation from tendonitis, I tried it a couple of times and it might help a little but not as much as icing it with pressure.

I will look into Nitric oxide patches and ART massage.
7/23/12 1:05 PM
RoccCity
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a temporary fix these work well
http://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands.php

If you're a cheapass like me just cut up a bicycle tire innertube and it works just as well. Just watch the videos.
7/29/12 12:08 PM
martinburke
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/13/13 1:43 PM
8/7/12 7:30 AM
raoulDuke

those floss bands look awesome, thank u
8/7/12 3:22 PM
SKARHEAD

Guys...Adult Stem Cell Therapy.

EVERYTHING else is just managing the problem....Only ASCT actually remodels and creates brand new tendon.

If it's good enough for race horse...it's good enough for you.
8/7/12 4:42 PM
martinburke
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait...you're stuck with the exact amount of tendon tissue that you're born with?

I'll be damned. You learn something new everyday here on the old OG.

Hit the road, you useless myoblasts and myophages!
8/13/12 9:23 AM
raoulDuke

skarhead, that sounds incredible....wtf kind of bionic insurance package do you have that covers this though??

i would imagine that its an astronomical amount to cover outta pocket
8/13/12 7:39 PM
SKARHEAD

It is from what I hear...You're looking at maybe $5,000. How much is it worth to you to get rid of it ?
8/14/12 12:34 PM
raoulDuke

$5,000 is a lot less than i was thinking actually

im gonna definitely need it at some point, thats for sure

anyone have any tips for exercises that would help tendonitis? i always thought dips would help my climbing-induced elbow tendonitis....just read recently they are terrible for it

is it in my head, or are skull-crushers actually helpful for bicep tendonitis? seems to be working semi-decently
8/14/12 2:51 PM
SKARHEAD

Honestly, eccentric loading.

You basically need to do REALLY REALLY slow negative lifts w/ light to moderate weight (depending on how bad the injury is)...Don't overdue it, but slowly over weeks/months you can increase weight...Basically whatever was hurt (or hurts)...you have to do that action...strengthen it directly...and then SLOOOOWLY release it...This strengthens the tendon and I've read actually remodels some of the tendon tissue....Just don't get cocky if pain fades...you could easily re-injure...and slow and steady with weight increments...maybe even bands at 1st....ALWAYS follow by ice. This has helped my pain the most until I decide to do ASCT
8/15/12 1:18 AM
mr biggelsworth

Dude I can barely carry my 25 lb daughter without my arm feeling on fire and hurting like a bitch. 3 months ago I could do 28 pullups at 180lbs and often people I roll with tell me I'm the one of the strongest guys they have trained with....I don't think its that the bicep needs strengthening as much as it needs rest.

Doing really slow negatives, or anything with this arm is completely out of the question.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.