UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> What info must you get when taking over IT mngmt?

5/26/11 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am trying to come up with some policy and procedures for when my organization (small group 2-3 people) gets a new client and we take over the IT management.

The size of the organizations I am dealing with is relatively small. Think Windows server environment, 2-5 domain controllers, 1-3 sites, no more than 200 users/workstations.

What information is critical for me to collect from the prior IT management? Some obvious ones are:

Credentials/passwords for ... windows, e-mail accounts, ftp, web hosting, routers, back up archives etc. . .

IP of all computers and devices, maybe MAC addresses too?

Location of certain things on the network (backups, confidential docs, public folders).

The more I think about this, the more stuff I can think of that I would need to keep track of. Even things like which ports are open on the server. Maybe the server has some special issue or workaround that requires some specific ports to be open. Is that something that is usually documented and passed on?

Do you have a checklist or outline you look at whenever you are taking over management of a network? This seems especially important when the prior IT admin was extremely unorganized.
5/27/11 12:48 AM
Ho Kogan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Support agreements and contact info for line of business app vendors.

Network diagrams

IP addressing schemes

Change management database and change control procedures

Historical trouble ticket data would probably be helpful too.

Are you also looking for items that should be audited when you take over the network?

6/11/11 6:20 AM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you even have to ask this question you're nowhere near ready to take over the IT of a 200 user base.
6/11/11 9:44 AM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such processes already exists, ITIL, FFS.
6/14/11 12:52 AM
Anarkis
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Licensing, List of Assets, Last time inventory was performed, imaging process, patch management process, configuration guides, important IP addresses....
7/20/11 11:24 PM
jave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Backups of data
8/16/11 9:21 PM
notsodirty

sebastienp - Theres an application called "the dude"... It'll find everything thats going on your network and create diagrams, its quite fantastic.

On a practical side, lookup "lansweeper", thats one badass little application that will allow you to gather reports, specs, allows you to push actions remotely to a machine(such as remote control, open c$,etc, you can create custom actions too).

There exists much much better tools for what you're describing.

8/16/11 10:11 PM
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsodirty - 
sebastienp - Theres an application called "the dude"... It'll find everything thats going on your network and create diagrams, its quite fantastic.

On a practical side, lookup "lansweeper", thats one badass little application that will allow you to gather reports, specs, allows you to push actions remotely to a machine(such as remote control, open c$,etc, you can create custom actions too).

There exists much much better tools for what you're describing.

Can you name a few - thanks
8/16/11 10:53 PM
notsodirty

to answer above, bmc addm.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.