UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce wants Hughes, not Sak, Dan, Art, Ken, Wallid

5/27/11 1:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Brian Hemminger: How much would it mean to you to get on one last UFC event?

Royce Gracie: I have one more fight, but it's a specific fight only. It's one special fight. If it was against anybody else, ehhhhh, not interested. Been there, done that. There's always a new, better opponent, a tougher opponent. I just want one fight.

BH: Is it Matt Hughes? I think I've read in interviews or some articles that it was Matt Hughes. Is that the guy?

RG: Did I say it? I didn't say that. (laughs) I can't say who it is. Come on. But if you think about it, there's only one more.

BH: The first one I heard that really wanted to fight you was Art Jimmerson, the first guy you ever fought in the UFC. What are your thoughts on Art Jimmerson, the one-glove boxer?

RG: I think he wants to redeem himself for that, for wearing one glove. I win without giving one punch. I think he wants to take at least one punch (laughs).

BH: What about the guy who made more news recently for the fact that people thought he died than anything else, Kimo Leopoldo?

RG: Is he still alive? (laughs) I thought he died too. That was big news all over the place.

BH: What about this guy, he's actually been really active. He's still fighting. He goes around to county fairs and takes on nobodies but he's still fighting at 52 years old, Dan "The Beast" Severn. A man you defeated at UFC 4 in the finals.

RG: Dan is a grandpa now, come on. He definitely should stop fighting. Fighting at county fairs? Come on. He gave me his best shot back then and could not beat me and he got that stuck in his throat.

BH: This guy is in desperate need of a paycheck. He said fighting you at UFC 134 would guarantee to be the biggest pay-per-view ever, Ken Shamrock.

RG: Ken never won a tournament. He's gotta stop, man. I beat him in less than a minute at the first UFC.

BH: Okay, these last two guys have built reputations as guys who can beat Gracies. The first is Sakaraba.

RG: I already had my rematch with him. I'm done with him.

BH: The very last one, I don't know if this is even possible, I don't know if this guy is even alive but Wallid Ismail.

RG: I have no idea about him. He's somewhere in the jungle climbing the coconut trees in Brazil, man.

BH: You haven't said who you want for that last fight, but is he a country boy?

RG: (laughs) I need to show up. My last fight with him, I didn't show up.

Read entire article...
Read entire interview...

5/27/11 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Rassler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wallid would smash Royce with his coconut like Roddy did to Snuka
5/27/11 1:34 PM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather watch a fight against Wallid.
5/27/11 1:46 PM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce is a LEGEND and I would really like to see him fight his last fight. Against top competition he will get destroyed but still.. I remember the days when people who saw Dana asked if Royce is still fighting in the UFC :) time goes so fast :(
5/27/11 2:25 PM
rockwell
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce vs Hughes again?

HELL THE FUCK NO!!!!!

I was originally championing his retirement match, thinking he'd go against Art (nostalgia) or Sakuraba (two great MMA heroes having one last fling), but Royce is just being unrealistic.
5/27/11 2:29 PM
TommyUnited

I say if Royce wants it, give it to him. If he believes he can beat Hughes then so be it. You know you'll watch regardless of who's going to win. Phone Post
5/27/11 2:57 PM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/27/11 2:57 PM
Voodoo - I would rather watch a fight against Wallid.

Or a Royce/Ken rubber match.
5/27/11 3:02 PM
Alger Hiss
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That can't be a real interview. Too disrespectful.
5/27/11 3:04 PM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce justification for not fighting certain guys is he already beat them, yet he wants to rematch a guy that walked through him?

Hughes is on another level than Royce, Royce needs someone old.
5/27/11 3:06 PM
Ephialtes

Royce is delusional. Ken beat the fuck out of him the last time they fought. Royce lucked out because they didn't have judging for that fight. Matt Hughes beat the fuck out of him also and would do the same again if they had a rematch. Phone Post
5/27/11 4:16 PM
iamjohnny

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - All the roids in the world wouldn't save him against Hughes.

5/27/11 4:36 PM
Team Quest 760
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give Royce what he wants! I know Hughes would love to do it again, he's never turned down a fight in his ENTIRE career!
5/27/11 4:46 PM
ranier wolfcastle
989 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

royce should fight matts twin brother mark hughes
5/27/11 4:52 PM
mr nemo

I can't see Royce/Hughes 2 going any differently that the first fight, don't know what Royce could do to prevent a similar outcome. I think Royce beat some of his earliest opponents simply because GJJ was such a mystery to most back then, he was beating them with submission moves they'd never heard of or trained,now the cat is out of the bag.
5/27/11 5:14 PM
Compression
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC would not exist if it wasn't for Royce, he deserves one last fight! Randy Couture got title shots by just asking Dana, Royce isn't after that he just wants a rematch. How many stoopid rematches have we seen over the years? If they were gonna do Liddell vs. Ortiz again, why not let Royce have 1 fight. If he loses he loses but I think they owe him one. I mean they're letting Cro Cop have another fight when the man hasn't pulled the trigger since 2006!
5/27/11 5:18 PM
FenceGrab
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ the haters

Royce wants the guy who beat him, THAT is respectable.

He doesn't wanna fight guys he already beat.

What the fuck is your problem?

(Wallid doesn't even make sense, he hasn't fought in a decade and nobody (hardcore fans aside) know who he is)

5/27/11 5:23 PM
Strykr619

Give to Royce. We know the outcome of this fight but if its in Brasil then the fans will prolly be throwing shit at the ring when Royce loses.
5/27/11 5:25 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Musashi - If anything, Royce would make a rematch a lot more exciting and lengthy.

How?  If anything, it will be even more one sided this time. 
5/27/11 6:14 PM
MickColins
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Wallid runs Jungle Fight now, he doesn't fight or train anymore.

2) Royce comes off as a huge asshole in that interview. Part of me wants to see him fight now so I can see someone hit him repeatedly.
5/27/11 7:08 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will he roid this time or not?
5/27/11 7:49 PM
RKing85
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to see Royce fight again.

I have no interest in legends fights
5/27/11 8:25 PM
TheBigBadBootyDaddy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kru Hughes will make it an even uglier beating...
5/27/11 8:32 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://huggingnuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/hughesshrug.gif
5/27/11 8:33 PM
Stone Rolled
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Royce fight Hughes. Dana White and ZUFFA owe him this much. And I don't see any negatives.
5/27/11 8:33 PM
twonka

KevinMcAllister - 
RyannVonDoom - Fuck royce. His response about ken is bullshit. He knows today kenwould still beat that ass. Phone Post

"still" beat his ass?

based on kens loss or draw to royce?

You obviously didn't actually watch the draw I take it. Ken is a shadow of himself but he can and still would beat up Royce like he did that day. Nothing but love for Royce, but the sport has passed him. Hughes would beat him just as brutally as before and maybe actually break his arm this time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.