UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Throwdown Training Gloves

5/29/11 10:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/29/11 10:34 PM

I was in the market for some new gloves and took a chance on these. Upon opening the box I could smell the fresh leather, always a good sign. I ordered these in 16oz for sparring, but as I inspected them I decided that they were quite firm and would not want to get hit with them very much so my sparring partners would not like that either. They reminded me of how firm Hayabusa's gloves are. The stitching is good with no loose or popped threads. The foam is 2.5 in thick and is well distributed and not uneven between gloves. I must say I am not a fan of the way the logo is printed on and am sure it will rub off but I don't think that would hinder performance.
I slid my hands in the glove and the are tight, I do have large hands though but not huge. The foam feels great it seems to mold to my hand, I like it. It is slightly cumbersome to use the wrist closure but not impossible just having my hands in the gloves with wraps on I notice them getting warm. I bet these will get smelly. I begin to look them over and I really like the thumb attachment, much like that of the Thai styles with a leather strip rather than piece of clothor nylon strap that most traditional boxing gloves have. So I take em' for a spin on the bag I turn on the ol' ipod and run through some rounds of Bas Ruttens boxing workout. I must say I am very pleased with the performance. I have weak wrists and at no time did I feel any discomfort (a rare occurance for me). These gloves really absorb the shock well and make me think that they will function much better as bag gloves rather than sparring gloves. I can't be sure how they will hold up but I will give an update on that in 3-6 mo. So as of now I give them a 7.5-8 out of 10 but the score could change depending on how they hold up

5/29/11 10:35 PM
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/29/11 10:36 PM
Dim Sum Punch

5/29/11 10:37 PM
Dim Sum Punch

5/29/11 10:37 PM
Dim Sum Punch

5/29/11 10:38 PM
Dim Sum Punch

5/31/11 8:25 AM
PTSandman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like there is almost no wrist support. I returned my Everlast Protex 3's because of the same issue.
6/1/11 1:40 AM
Dim Sum Punch

You know initially I thought the same thing, but the wrist support is actually alot better than I expected. Not the best I have seen but not bad. I also always wrap my hands everytime I hit the bag or pads to protect my not so good wrists. I agree on the Protex 3's they are terrible.
6/1/11 8:21 AM
PTSandman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm using some Boon gloves now and love them, but I like to try everyone and rotate my glove use at the gym.

Can't decide if I should pull the trigger on a pair of Reyes gloves though.
6/2/11 7:16 PM
Dim Sum Punch

They (reyes) are on sale @ mmahq today for 95 bucks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.