UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> CSI Air pads Review

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/29/11 10:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Review Time!!

I was very interested in these pads due to the "Air" Technology used in them. I ended up buying them in 09' and have used them ever since. I was a bit reluctant at first because I have heard mixed reviews on Combat sports quality, but when they went on sale for $60 (half of retail price) I could not resist.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: When I picked them up out of the box I was really suprised how light they were. The pair is easily lighter than one average Thai pad. These pads are 16" long 8" wide and 4" thick and made of leather. One minor differance noticed is the logo on the striking area is not the same logo that was pictured but other than cosmetic preferance it matters not.

CONSTRUCTION: As mentioned earlier they are made from leather although it does not specify cow hide so it is probably some other bovine creature. The stitching is real solid and the cloth string that keeps the back of the cover attached to the sides and front is well woven and pulled tight. The ends are tied in a simple knot to keep them from coming apart. The handles are hard and feel like they will hold up well and are attached with two standard rivits per side. The left side over right side style velcro closure system is used as opposed to using a metal D-ring.

USAGE AS A HOLDER: The Unique air pockets in this are a positve and a negative I think. For the first year the padding held up really well as far as the shock absorbency. I never really felt any sting on the forearms unless I had a real heavy kicker slamming into them. As with all pads overtime the padding decreases in it's ability to disperse force, these are no different. Now anyone who can put even a little stank on there kicks feels like quite the power kicker. Not a bad thing but after holding for several people round after round it can make your arms tender (That just means I'm one step closer to being a Warrior right?)

FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PADS: Two side to this coin as well, hitting these are a breeze. They feel like hitting a firm pillow. There is zero sting or discomfort when laying into these as hard as you want. They make a nice "pop" everytime you hit them even after two and a half years. But hitting the pads helps deaden nerves and condition your shins, no so with these. I feel that they are just too soft to do the job as far as that goes. I rolled my ankle pretty badly a few months back and have had a slow depressing recovery since then. So a few LBS heavier and out of shape I tried to hit the heavy bag lighty (Red Title Classic Banana bag) I thought this thing stung my feet and shins before I hurt my ankle. It was pure pain, so I tried to hit the CSI Air pads instead. I must say I had little pain with these, So while they might not be good for conditioning your shins the are useful for recovering from foot and ankle injuries.

FINAL THOUGHTS: These pads have held up really well over the couple of years and all the usage. The knot in the strings has come untied and no matter how much I re-tie tem they wont stay, but the also have not come apart any further. Depending on your needs these are a great pair of pads as far as durability and looks. I think these definatly have their place in any gym depending on the kickier or holder. Would I buy them again for full price($120) no but I would pick up another pair if they were on sale. I say 8 out of 10 stars for these babies.

[IMG][/IMG]

.us
You can see the air chaimbers in the pads in this pic

.us

This is about the most wear that they have shown over all the abuse, pretty solid imo 

IMG][/IMG]

Not my favorite fastening system but has not been any sort of issue.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see how the ties have come undone and also the air pockets.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pillowy soft

6/5/11 1:03 PM
zealot66
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for beginner kickers with weak shins.
6/26/11 12:54 PM
zealot66
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing I found with my air mitts is that they were great at first but then the 'air' cushion deteriorated quickly. I'd imagine if you have some heavy kickers, this thing proabably wont last too long for th eprice.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.