UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Non-judo questions about Soviet sports

5/30/11 6:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in the library recently doing some research, and I found a translation of the sports ranking standards for several military sports: parachuting, orienteerinbg, etc.

The list had several multi-event sports, triathlons and pentathlons and the like.

I noticed that most of the individual events in these sports had a clear military connection: shooting, grenade tossing, etc. But most of them also included a gymnastics section with the participants having to take part in and be graded on the floor exercise, parallel bars and horizontal bar.

Does anyone know why the Soviets put such an emphasis on gymnastics?
5/30/11 10:41 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have travelled to the Soviet Union/former Soviet Republics biannually since 1987 ( I leave for Ukraine a week from Wednesday). Based on my experiences and the lectures I've attended, gymnastics/tumbling is the hub of their sports program. The gymnastics/tumbling instruction the athletes receive give them the necessary skills,abilities and balance to help them succeed in their sports.
5/31/11 12:32 PM
dezflag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dynamo,

I have a couple questions please.

1.What are the biggest differences in sports training pre and post communism?

2. What are the most important Soviet Sports teaching and training methods that you added to your Judo/Sambo program?

3. Are there any English books or DVDs that you recommend on Soviet Sports training that best relate to grappling?

Thank you for your time.
5/31/11 1:02 PM
oblongo
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's interesting. I read a book on sports in various Communist nations, and it said that in Cuba gymnastics is one of six compulsory sports that all school children must take part in. Only those who show some athletic prowess are directed into specialty clubs that train them in other sports.
5/31/11 11:38 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/11 11:38 PM
dezflag - Dynamo,

I have a couple questions please.

1.What are the biggest differences in sports training pre and post communism?
The main difference is state sponsership during the communist and corporate after the fall.
2. What are the most important Soviet Sports teaching and training methods that you added to your Judo/Sambo program?

3. Are there any English books or DVDs that you recommend on Soviet Sports training that best relate to grappling?

The answer to questions #2 and #3 is Igor Kurinnoy's Sambo for Professionals Series.
Igor has a doctorate in Physical Conditioning for Combat Athletes. It's available at www.budovideos.com.

Thank you for your time.

You're welcome.
6/1/11 1:39 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See my vid i linked on the wretling forum that shows soviet-era greco training.
6/13/11 2:31 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.elitefts.com/documents/Mark-McLaughlin.htm

I just remembered this article with Mark McLaughlin (Portland Oregon) talking about the roles of gymnastics and young people and lifting weights. great stuff.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.