UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Thumb joint pain...any advice?

5/31/11 5:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing BJJ for about 8 months and the pain and swelling has been getting gradually worse over the past month.  I finally decided I needed to take at least a week off.  I haven't seen a doctor for it, but I am seeing my chiropractor this week to see what they say.  Obviously, rest is the main thing to do, but is there any way I can tape my thumb (MCP joints) joints without having to tape my whole entire hand so I can do BJJ?  Also, are there any exercises or stretches I can do to help allievate this pain?

And I have been taking MSM, Glusgosamine, Chondrotin, and fish oil and those things have been very helpful to my broke down knee.  I also ordered some serrapeptase since my instructor recommended it....we will see how that works.

Ok well thanks in advance for any advice. 

6/16/11 1:55 PM
Coffeeinfusion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find that grips in gi Jiu-Jitsu torch my finger joints (arthritis). Can definitely be excruciating. The only thing that has worked for me is ice and rest. I would also take Ibuprofen for the inflamation, but consult with a doc before just in case it's Gout or some other type of infection.
6/20/11 11:03 AM
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reply.  I asked my chiro about this issue and she said to try massage the facia of the muscle that control the thumb on your palm.  She said to use the handle part of a butter knife or any kind of hard corner and go back and forth massaging it for about a minute or 2 a few times a day. 

Also, there is a stretch for your thumb and forearm where you stand up and place your palm on a flat surface with your arm in a straight locked position.  Then you try to put your thumb down with your free hand so that you are forming an L-shape with your hand.  This stretch is pretty rough, but a good one. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.