UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> GSP vs Shields Takedown Defense Critque

5/31/11 10:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neverquit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to know what you people think, ok. GSP fought Shields a couple of weeks and GSP beat Shields by decision. Everybody was talking about how dangerous Shields submissions are before the fight. GSP did a great by not getting taken down the whole fight. It seemed that Shields gave up on taking GSP down during the fight and was trying to strike with him. What do you people think helped and made it possible for GSP to completly nullify Shields takedowns??
6/1/11 12:37 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO and as I recall, there really were only two clearly solid singles that Shields grabbed (there may have been more, but these are two i remember pretty well).  I am not sure why, maybe fatigue, but both times it appeared that Shields caused the snuffing himself.  Both times Shields had good alignment with his body, had the leg in between his legs and got the leg to I believe his outside (which would be ideal).  Both singles, Shields just stopped moving altogether and took away the most basic advantage of him being on two legs and GSP having one leg.  GSP didn't do anything except start to shimmy his leg out with a little movement and then turned away and whipped out of it.  Shields never attempted the finish.  I've not heard about any talk of GSP being extra slippery or anything, so I'm not sure why he exerted the effort to setup, shoot, but then not finish.  GSP clearly shaves his legs and he probably has a slippery sweat (some people have it and some basic OTC sups can excrete a slippery sweat.)  

That's my answer.  I'd really like to know Jake's answer to the question.  He's got really really good mma wresting.  Not sure why he did what he did.  

6/1/11 4:13 AM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gsp is the better athlete of the two. His speed, and strength are unmatched at ww. Phone Post
6/2/11 7:26 PM
Saku12
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd have to re-watch it.

Off memory I don't think he had much success closing distance which means shooting on someone like GSP isn't happening.
6/4/11 9:52 PM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP was slippery and the single was too risky Phone Post
6/5/11 4:16 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In wrestling you are taught to never shoot in unless you are physically touching your opponent. You need to be in that range in order to get proper penetration for your shot. Thats why you see so much handfighting in wrestling. Setups for a shot.

In MMA the range for a shot is the same range as punching. Wich means that in order to get proper penetration, you need to stay in the pocket and setup your shots. So you need good striking skills

If someone has poor striking skills, they avoid punching range and try to shoot from afar wich telegraphs the shot badly.

Thats what happened to Jake. Add into the fact that GSP was always employing footwork to avoid clinching and it was hard for him to get the proper range for a shot

Also have to disagree with him having great MMA wrestling. He usually gets his takedowns because of sheer tenacity and never giving up on a leg. But he telegraphs them badly

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.